Old 01-11-2020, 09:50 AM
Senior Chief

Default LED Tail light problem

Good morning,
I just bought Sylvania Automotive #1157 LED tail/brake light bulbs to replace my incandescants. I installed one then tried it. The light it gives off is less than my original. I checked Sylvania's website and the #1157 they show doesn't even look like the ones I bought (see attached). Also they mention the possible need for some kind of a current balancer when changing from incandescent to LED.

Anyone have any experience with these things? Any help would be appreciated.

You all have a good day, trshman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_083708_resized.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	528591  

Old 01-11-2020, 11:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

Hopefully the problem is a simple fix. I'd like to convert to LED also.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default The Internet Comes Through ! ! !

Hammertime Mike and anyone else who read my thread. The internet came through again with an answer, specifically You Tube. Since there weren't a lot of responses to my post I decided to do a search and found a guy from Pennsylvania that tested 4 (that's right FOUR) variations of the #1157 LED bulb, I believe ALL from Sylvania plus an incandescent.

It answered all my questions regarding the bulb and at the same time raised a question as to whether the LED's are worth the extra bucks at all. The differences in light generated is a function of the design of the LED's housing but you can see that for yourself(selves).

Anyway, here's the link. The guy isn't Steven Spielberg and like a lot of amateur videos there are times I think he takes too long to get to the point but the bottom line is he eventually provides all the info I need to make an informed decision, so for that I thank him. Here's the link. You all have a good one. trshman

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DVDVVXX

Old 01-11-2020, 06:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put these in my 72 Firebird. One was bright as could be and one was dim. Just playing around with it I flipped the bulb 180 deg and it lit up bright like the other one.

I’ve heard these lights take so little current that they can light up taking unconventional/ alternate paths. Grounds are apparently a big deal for these.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

LEDs come in varying degrees of brightness. The Cree type LEDs are the ones to get.

I got mine from superbrightleds.com. They had a choice of brightness. Mine are brighter than the original incandescent lamps.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am running the same Sylvia is ones you get at the local parts store

Old 01-12-2020, 09:59 AM
Senior Chief

I found Sylvania #1157R LED's at Autozone. It's one of the 4 LED's the guy tested in the video and produced the most light but more importantly the greatest difference between normal light and when braking.