Old 01-26-2020, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Front end/body structure weights

Finishing up a spreadsheet that I began quite a few years back. will be willing to share results via PM, though the summation will be published in the future as part of what am aiming to be a very interesting publication.

From my own '71 & 72 A-body's, have compiled accurate weights for nearly every frontend component for '71 T-37 & standard nose '72 LeMans. Also from same accurate scale, the weights from a 72 GTO, as well as weights of pieces that are different for a '71 GTO. To that end, am reweighing a few '71 endura nose pieces to confirm a few things.

Have always desired to expand the scope of this info to '70 model Pontiac A-body's. Have in excellent shape nearly all '70 GTO f/e structure pieces to weigh, as well as f/e pieces from a long time friend & customer's 70 GTO which is apart & receiving metal work. The '70 is as light a '70 GTO as one could order, & though it won't be 100% the same weight as when new, we will be weighing it on several local scales.

Has been a long time since have had a complete '70 LeMans project/partscar, the last few hauled in have have been partial messes. Thus, am looking for accurate weights for the following '70 Tempest/LeMans front end pieces.

- front bumper & grilles (or weighed separately)

- 70 Tempest/LeMans front bumper full reinforcement & brackets that go to the frame.
*note... on the bumper reinforcement & brackets, need to know if this heavy assembly is bolted together, & if attaching bolts/nuts are present to attach to the frame. I've figured '71 & 72 front bumper weights with all attaching bolts/nuts.

- '70 Tempest/LeMans header panel, loaded with headlamps, or without.
If not installed, a notation of number of odd screws to attach to the coresuppport.

- weight of V8 core support with hood latch brace & a notation if hood latch & pull rod & horn(s) are present.

- Valance, loaded with parking lamps, or w/o PL's, can get weights of the latter, if needed

- accurate weight of a clean '69 or 70 Tempest/LeMans hood.

Have accurate weights on '70 T-37 fenders, fender wells, battery tray & fan shroud with all attaching bolts, so am set for the rest.

Last, would like to confirm for anyone with a fairly original factory flooring '70 Tempest or T-37 or GT-37.
- In a factory non AC '70 233 series 2door, how far back did your car's original sound deadener pieces extend, & what assembly plant was the car built out of? This may be something that a picture was taken of years ago, when interior was out, or something that stuck out to you during previous restoration work.

Will be checking in as would like to get a very accurate weight on these different front ends. Thanks in advance for positive responses

Roger

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 01-26-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Roger,

I have a complete 'dog house' from a '70 Lemans Sport, and I believe the core support as well, along with the bumper, brackets, valance, header panel, hood, etc.. I think it has all the headlights, bezels, turn signals, side marker lights too. Once it warms up a bit, Dan and I can go weigh them for you.

Dennis