THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:06 AM

I could go either way. I also have a 66 but with the curvy and recessed back window I think I'd pass. A 65 roofline to me is a whole different story, I've seen a dark blue one recently and thought a vinyl top never looked better on a goat. I guess what I'm saying is on a square roof line yes on a more scalloped like yours no. Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 04-11-2018, 01:36 PM

Default My Montero Red ‘65 GTO; my thoughts on a vinyl top

Hiya,

I have a 1965 Montero Red GTO. No factory vinyl top. I purchased a set of vinyl top mouldings with the idea that I may eventually install a ‘White or Off-White” vinyl top to compliment the white interior.

However, after reading this entire post, I’m going to shy away from installing one. Not because of any rust concerns, rather the opinions that the coke bottle design of the ‘66–‘67’s lend themselves to looking better with one than the ‘65’s.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool colors and styling matter

[QUOTE=nikrnic;5869182]I could go either way. I also have a 66 but with the curvy and recessed back window I think I'd pass. A 65 roofline to me is a whole different story, I've seen a dark blue one recently and thought a vinyl top never looked better on a goat. I guess what I'm saying is on a square roof line yes on a more scalloped like yours no. Just my .02

I think the '66 roofline and body lines symbolize an "elegant" stylish look as compared with the sharp edged "muscular and aggressive" look of 64-65's.

I think the color of the car makes or breaks a vinyl top. A "black vinyl top" on a black car ends up as a black car with a dark gray top at best.

My car started out as a plain Jane white car, repainted silver and a vinyl top added, a color combination that works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lemans10-2_resized_2 (900x381).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	480485  

Old 04-11-2018, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vinyl tops let water in but not out. I don't care what kind of paint you use, if water sits on it, it will bubble and rust. I wont buy vinyl top cars.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:05 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Please share thoughts/Opinions about adding vinyl top
This is why they say what they say about "opinions".

Everybody "thinks" they are an expert.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Do you guys remember you could order a two tone car and use the same molding to separate the top portions? The factory used the same vinyl top moldings on the two tone cars.
Do you guys remember the different combination of moldings used by the "A" body Buick of 64-65 which uses the same roof as C,P,& O "A" bodies. They had some different moldings only they got.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:12 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
Do you guys remember you could order a two tone car and use the same molding to separate the top portions? The factory used the same vinyl top moldings on the two tone cars.
Do you guys remember the different combination of moldings used by the "A" body Buick of 64-65 which uses the same roof as C,P,& O "A" bodies. They had some different moldings only they got.
Yep and yep.

Buick would get an outer perimeter moulding.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:15 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
This is why they say what they say about "opinions".

Everybody "thinks" they are an expert.
Are you suggesting that people should not share their opinions?

Old 04-11-2018, 09:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I vote..leave it alone! Not a fan of vinyl tops....BUT it's your car build it as you like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1667.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	480511  

Old 04-14-2018, 04:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

look at the black car up there with the black vinyl top (page one). it adds nothing. simply, to me, because it's black. since your car is black i say bag it. it does cause rust over time, but only if you drive it in the rain right? so does it really matter? do what you like and you'll feel better about it.

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.