THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Beautiful Tools

These days whenever I need to replace one of my tools I will order a Proto, usually full polished 6 point for the wrenches.

What a beautiful tool these people make, just a joy to hold in your hand.

The new 3/4 combination wrench I just got, I thought it was bent a little .. then I realized it has this very subtle bend in it to compensate for the angle of your hand, just a couple of degrees that makes it easier to use and to sit flatter on the bolt/nut.

Expensive yes ... but not so bad when you buy one once a month to replace inferior tools.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:04 AM

I always buy Proto tools very hard to find you should check out their air guns. I posted about them in the industry section. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=829719

Old 10-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Stanley owns them correct?

Old 10-26-2019, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have some Proto tools. They do make some very nice stuff. In some ways they may be better than Snap On.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree Proto tools are very nice indeed. Yes, Proto is part of the huge Stanley tool group which includes dozens of brand names covering the full quality range. Here is a small list of the Stanley Brands:
Power tools

DeWalt – power tools; B & D acquired in 1960
Guoqiang (GQ) Tools (China) – power tools
Porter-Cable – power tools; B & D acquired in 2004[32]/2005[33]
Oldham Saw Company – circular saw blade and wood router bit products; B & D acquired in 2004[32]
Black & Decker – acquired (via merger) in 2010
Craftsman

Hand tools and storage

Pastorino – carpentry and construction hand tools[34]
Stanley Hand Tools – carpentry and construction hand tools
Craftsman
Irwin Industrial Tools

Fastening and accessories

Bostitch – fastening tools; acquired in 1986
Powers Fasteners – adhesive and mechanical anchors

Industrial
Industrial and automotive repair (IAR)
Cribmaster – tool inventory, storage, tracking and usage/vending management
Expert – industrial and automotive tools
Facom (France) – professional tools; acquired in 2006 (includes Britool[35])
Lista North America – industrial storage; acquired in 2012
Mac Tools – professional tools; acquired in 1980
Proto – industrial hand tools; acquired in 1984
Blackhawk – Mechanic's tools; acquired in 1986
Sidchrome (Australia/New Zealand) – mechanics' tools; acquired in 1990

They are huge.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:29 PM

Proto tools are very costly not sold everywhere and hard to get. I got into them because I use to work for a utility company for 33 years and they bought all are tools and tool boxes for us to use. The funny part or that was in case we got hurt and a tool would break it would be on them not us. I just bought all new air tools after 20 years and Proto they came out with a new air tool line and design. 1260 ft torque and a small and light weight package. Priced much lower then my IR air tools. (in the range of $175- $250I. just love the way they both work 1/2 inch and 3/8 drive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: Impact.png Views: 63 Size: 43.5 KB ID: 512364
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	protoj150wp-m_1.png
Views:	90
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	523014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Impact.png
Views:	99
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	523015  

Old 10-26-2019, 01:40 PM

I'm an AC Mech with the purple tails, we compared several brands of air tools & the IR were the quietest fwiw.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a variety of air tools but no Proto Branded ones. My Snap-On 1/2" and 3/8" impacts have a lever you can move to make them quieter. But it greatly reduces the hammer force which is marginal at full power and loudness. In general, I think Snap-On air tools are very overpriced with mid-level performance. This is especially true of the Blue Point line, made in China and just a step or two above Harbor Freight stuff. I have a 3/4" IR impact. Fairly quiet and a real brute. I have never had a fastener it wouldn't either remove or break-off! Very heavy tool though. The Proto impacts pictured look light and compact. AirCat is another brand that has powerful, quiet, light air tools. Some are made in the US, some imported.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:41 PM

I have a 3/8 AirCat gun very nice unit. The Protos are fully balanced and you can stand it upright on its air inlet without it falling over.. Its crazy.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm kind of flexible went it comes to where things are made, sort of ... best man wins no matter what to me ... but some of the made in USA tools are just wonderful ... I told my wife I need a "house wrench" to keep on the coffee table because they are so nice to hold in your hand... yep, kind of over the top when it comes to price and finish ... but, jeez, so nice. And that means the US made Proto, Snap-on, Mac, etc.

I know I will never get my money back on them, but just to be able to pass them on some day and know the person that gets them will appreciate the quality is enough for me.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I'm kind of flexible went it comes to where things are made, sort of ... best man wins no matter what to me ... but some of the made in USA tools are just wonderful ... I told my wife I need a "house wrench" to keep on the coffee table because they are so nice to hold in your hand... yep, kind of over the top when it comes to price and finish ... but, jeez, so nice. And that means the US made Proto, Snap-on, Mac, etc.

I know I will never get my money back on them, but just to be able to pass them on some day and know the person that gets them will appreciate the quality is enough for me.
You are right about second hand value for sure. As I get older I think about that more and more. I have over 100K in hand tools from a 40+ year career. I also have several friends in the tool business. As many of us age out and pass away, most family members left with all the tools don't have any use for them or know what to do with them. My Snap-On and MAC tool friends say they will occasionally buy an estate of hand tools but will NEVER pay more than twenty cents on the dollar for them no matter the condition. Power tools, especially cordless ones are worth no more than ten cents on the dollar. They always have dead batteries that are obsolete and the tool is a throwaway. They both say they are lucky to re-sell at 40 cents on the dollar for Mac, Snap-ON Proto and the other premium tools. Non-premium tools have virtually no value used. That's on the re-sale market at least. One of the reasons there are such great deals on tool at pawn shops. I am a tool geek so I enjoy having them almost as much as my old Pontiac's!

Old 10-27-2019, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My analogy on tools would be my other interest, fitness trainer. You will pay 2-3X more for top gear / equipment, but the difference is huge and once you go to that level it is hard to step down. I see it as amateur / light use grade and pro / hard use grade, same as tools. Use should dictate what you buy. Or if you just want nice tools.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Having sold off the part of my fathers side of the estate I can tell you the older well taken care of USA made tools bring tons of people to a sale. My father was a mechanic, and avid wood worker most of his adult life.

We put an ad on Craigslist and a small ad in the newspaper and had a horde of people that came to buy tools. I didn't overprice anything as I was out in Prescott AZ, and wanted to move everything having limited time. My mother thought I'd want his tools, but most of the stuff that took up a lot of room were his woodworking tools mounted on stands that I had no room for at my house. Plus I'm not as an avid woodworker as my father was. I did go through the tool chest and removed all the better quality hand tools (Snap On, Mac, Proto, etc.), and took them back home with me.

All his hand power tools were corded, really old and mostly worn out, so I had nothing that I saved out of that stuff. Sold the oxy/acetylene torch, hoses, and tanks to some local guy out in Prescott. My oxy/acetylene setup is in much better shape than his was, no sense in carting all that stuff 2000 miles home.

Every time I use his tools I get kind of sentimental because he taught me everything he gained over his lifetime about repairing everything mechanical. Listening to the old timers I found out years ago is priceless, saving you time, and money over the long haul. Dad passed in 2007, I still miss him every day.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-27-2019, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dataway, I don't know if you'd need one or not but head to a Sears Store and pickup the new Craftsman Metric crescent wrench. I kid you not! I needed a 1 1/2" wrench last week and it's all I could find at the Sears store here in Wilmington. Turn it over and you'll see it opens up to 40mm.

I've had guys that needed a metric wrench but they didn't have one big enough for the job at hand. So I'd tell them to go get a metric crescent wrench. They'd look at me with that "are you stupid look".... so I'd tell them to think about it. Finally they catch on after a while. LOL But now it's really on the market.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Dataway, I don't know if you'd need one or not but head to a Sears Store and pickup the new Craftsman Metric crescent wrench. I kid you not! I needed a 1 1/2" wrench last week and it's all I could find at the Sears store here in Wilmington. Turn it over and you'll see it opens up to 40mm.

I've had guys that needed a metric wrench but they didn't have one big enough for the job at hand. So I'd tell them to go get a metric crescent wrench. They'd look at me with that "are you stupid look".... so I'd tell them to think about it. Finally they catch on after a while. LOL But now it's really on the market.
When I was a kid in the 70’s most paint was still oil based, but latex was just coming around. Anyway our local hardware store sold latex paint thinner in baby food jars. I remember my brother in law asking them “why would anybody buy latex paint thinner?” They told him that so many people came in asking for it they decided to start selling it!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
Anyway our local hardware store sold latex paint thinner in baby food jars. I remember my brother in law asking them “why would anybody buy latex paint thinner?” They told him that so many people came in asking for it they decided to start selling it!
Now that's funny. But it is proof few read the directions on the can. And shame on the hardware stores for taking advantage of them.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Re Pawn shops, it must be a CA thing, but I never see any good deals there. For example, I have a power tool that I paid $500 for. A pawn shop will have the same one that looks like it’s been used 8 hours a day for 15 years priced at $435. Saw a pair of BF Goodrich tires in the window the other day for $230.

I think they make their money lending, and don’t care if they ever sell anything.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:02 AM
Senior Chief

We just found out that our NAPA stores are now dealers for Craftsman tools. We got our first batch in. Not impressed. Hard to believe these are the same tools we bought years ago from Sears. Castings are rough. Look like cheap tools with the Craftsman name. Its gonna be a secondary line for us.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansboy70 View Post
We just found out that our NAPA stores are now dealers for Craftsman tools. We got our first batch in. Not impressed. Hard to believe these are the same tools we bought years ago from Sears. Castings are rough. Look like cheap tools with the Craftsman name. Its gonna be a secondary line for us.
Yes, they are nothing like when Easco tools made them for the Craftsman brand. Easco also made Sparta, SK, Husky and other brands. They were mid-high quality American hand tools. Craftsman branded tools are mostly Chinese low-mid grade stuff now. I would put them in the same quality group with US General stuff from Harbor Freight. (got to love US General, 100% Chinese!)

Old 10-28-2019, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been happy locating pre owned Snap On tools from Carlisle vendors and Ebay. I buy them for a fraction of new and have a local rep that replaces any junk.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4