EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 08-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Senior Chief

Default Thin plate

I sent Ken at Fitech a tracing of my OEM 72 455HO intake and he said the thin plate would work on that intake.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The real issue is going to be the air filter on the TA

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-17-2015, 01:08 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
The real issue is going to be the air filter on the TA
This issue is completely resolved with the blocker air cleaner setup for Transams. I built my own efi system using a gm mefi4 ecu, rails, injectors and scorpion throttlle body. KI put this on top of a super victor efi intake, the throttle body was only 1.400 tall which mathmatecially came out the same as a stock intake with a q jet BUT the air cleaner layed on top of the fuel rails so it needed a spacer. I started hacking up a aftermarket base to clear everything but the linkage rotated above the throttle body. I ended up buying the blocker kit, I had so much clearance that I had to make a spacer to get shaker high ebough in the hood. I was able to use a stock 350 tbi factory spacer with slight modifications.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	405589   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.pngjitgty.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	405590   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.pngkoty5df.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	405591  

http://www.smittysengtrans.com/
Old 08-17-2015, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I went ahead and ordered this unit today. Went with the basic Go EFI 4 kit in tumble polished finish and their in-line fuel pump kit.

I'll be doign an EFI baffled tank and in-tank pump later over the winter. The in-line system will do for now without breaking the bank.

Obviously I can't yet attest to the quality of the unit or how it operates, but I can attest to their customer service which has been great so far. Their tech personnel are readily available and know the product. Sadly they did confirm that their system won't control timing on the Mallory Unilite distributors. It must be a standard magnetic pickup fired by a coil or CD box. Ken did offer to try and get me a discount later on on another distributor if I really want full timing control out of the system. He did advise however that unless I was running boost or nitrous that the system would control timing very similarly to a properly dialed in mechanical and vacuum advance dizzy.

They just got another shipment in today and are building those out, so the wait time should only be about 2 weeks or so.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:40 PM

I am receiving my fitech system Thursday.

I talked to fitech last week about a factory spreadbore intake, it will not work unless you use one of those 7/8" or thicker spacers. The thin spacer works for a dual square/spreadbore intake.

My temp solution to test it this fall is to use an Edelbrock 7/8" spacer. If the fuel injection works as expected, over the winter I will take my factory intake off the car and perform modifications based on cliff's modified factory intake. Once the factory intake is modified to allow the square bores to dump straight down into the runners, I will use one of those 1/16" plates to seal the gaps.

The fitech will bolt to a spreadbore bolt pattern.

I will install this weekend and take videos.

BTW a hei distributor with the module removed is no longer an hei distributor, so it should work fine.

2 weeks ago I installed a programmable 6al2 MSD box. I am never ever going to mess around with mechanical distributors again. It has solved odd idle problems I was having, timing is spot on at idle, the engine idle is freakishly smooth. It's worth every penny.

I don't believe you can set as precise a timing curve with the fitech, as they described it, they provide a 3x3 matrix of options, I believe it's load x rpm. If your not using vacuum advance, then your pretty much at 3 timing settings to the curve as I understand it. With the MSD 6al2 programmable, you can set each 100 rpm. The fitech timing would be better than a mechanical distributors, but not as good as the 6al2.

BTW I first thought the fitech had a knock sensor for timing and would just try to always be all in all the time factoring in the air fuel sensor but that is not the case. I since learned every engine has a different knock sound so something like that would need to be calbarated to your build, not an easy off the shelf thing to ask for.

Last edited by angelo; 08-17-2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice! If you could document the install and take a few videos to post here that would be killer.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 08-17-2015, 09:30 PM

I definitely will. I post most everything on my car blog www.modsandrods.tv, I haven't had time to post the 6al2 programmable but I will as well.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyseng View Post
This issue is completely resolved with the blocker air cleaner setup for Transams. I built my own efi system using a gm mefi4 ecu, rails, injectors and scorpion throttlle body. KI put this on top of a super victor efi intake, the throttle body was only 1.400 tall which mathmatecially came out the same as a stock intake with a q jet BUT the air cleaner layed on top of the fuel rails so it needed a spacer. I started hacking up a aftermarket base to clear everything but the linkage rotated above the throttle body. I ended up buying the blocker kit, I had so much clearance that I had to make a spacer to get shaker high ebough in the hood. I was able to use a stock 350 tbi factory spacer with slight modifications.
Sorry, the issue is not resolved....your fuel rails are on your intake, well below the filter. Take a closer look at the throttle body on this product. Look at where the fuel rails are, look at where the fuel lines are going to connect and finally look at the return. Next look at the bottom of a factory or for that matter Blocker A/F housing.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-18-2015, 08:12 AM

Referring to the FiTech fuel injection...

I will measure when I get it, but the an 90 degree elbow should clear before any drop base finishes its curve. A 45 degree an elbow may also work, will not know until it arrives.

If you use their fuel control module you do not need to run a return line.

Factory drop base must be possible with the fitech as they have a 79 Trans am with an olds 403 working with a shaker. That motor though has a performer intake which is why they only needed one of those 1/16" carb plates.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
Referring to the FiTech fuel injection...

I will measure when I get it, but the an 90 degree elbow should clear before any drop base finishes its curve. A 45 degree an elbow may also work, will not know until it arrives.

If you use their fuel control module you do not need to run a return line.

Factory drop base must be possible with the fitech as they have a 79 Trans am with an olds 403 working with a shaker. That motor though has a performer intake which is why they only needed one of those 1/16" carb plates.
I hope you're right about all the air filter stuff! That would be great! Take closer look at the T/A in their video. It's a 383 small block chevy.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:11 PM

Damn your right it is a Chevy. I thought he said it was an olds engine, my bad. I think it may still clear, will not know for sure till it arrives Thursday.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:02 PM

I got some measurements of the fitech. The drop base from center needs to be 5/16" higher than at the carb air cleaner flange to 5" from center. Center being the air cleaner mounting stud. I think this rules out the ptfb and ram air restorations drop bases, but not 100% sure. This is of course referring to unmodified bases.

This extra height is to clear the bump in the fitech area for the return line section. Rest of the fitech resides below the air cleaner line.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So if we use a stock drop base air cleaner were going to need to cut and weld a bit on it?

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 08-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
I got some measurements of the fitech. The drop base from center needs to be 5/16" higher than at the carb air cleaner flange to 5" from center. Center being the air cleaner mounting stud. I think this rules out the ptfb and ram air restorations drop bases, but not 100% sure. This is of course referring to unmodified bases.

This extra height is to clear the bump in the fitech area for the return line section. Rest of the fitech resides below the air cleaner line.
What modifications to air cleaner would you anticipate with a single deadhead fuel supply? Assuming the use of an external bypass regulator

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 08-19-2015, 06:34 PM

Will find out tomorrow but I don't think so, that 5/16 peaks at the middle of the distance between the air cleaner ring and 5", which is about 3-3/4" from center. I think Pontiac bowl vents are 3/8" high, so it is possible it will clear a factory air cleaner.

Here are the measurements: http://fitechefi.com/virtualoffice_files/30001.PDF bulge on the left is for the return system.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:39 PM

Hopefully no mods if you don't need the return line. I will also test the return line with a fitting and my factory base.

I hope it is possible to use the ptfb base but with current measurements I don't think it would work with the filter slope.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Angelo, what kind of car do you have? If it's a T/A what year?

That throttle body looks pretty square to me, meaning all four corners will have the same problem. I realize it's actually rectangular. But measurements are the same backwards and forwards. I was going to ask their tech if there is a 45 fitting that will go right into the TB. That would shorten things up a bit. Then hoping I could heat the A/F base and stretch the metal to create a bulge. Ultimately maybe make slices in the base and welding in pieces. Some how it would have to be worked out.
I would like to have a demo non functioning TB to mock up.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:30 PM

Only one of the 4 corners has this bulge for the return. The other 3 corners are below the air cleaner line, still will be obstacles for the drop base below that line.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think the bulge by the air horn on the return is the problem. So, I agree with what you're saying.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:22 PM

The part I will figure out tomorrow is if the AN6 elbows will clear.