Old 01-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Senior Chief

Default Valve Spring Tech

I've been noticing some people have been using LS style "beehive" springs in small block chevy.

Has anyone tried beehive or conical springs on traditional Pontiac heads?

I watched this video from David Vizard and found it interesting he notes that simply using a beehive over traditional dual spring will drop enough weight to be equivalent to installing titanium valves.....and have much more valve control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHw3mWYgO6M&t=1092s

What do you think? Opinions?

Old 01-24-2020, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's the way to go without question ,but there's no drop in for the typical Pontiac D port valve installed height of 1.560" to 1.580".
You need to step up to RA4 lenght valves and also cut the spring seats about 100" or so depending if your heads have already had a valve job or not.

It's fully worth it if you ask me especially if your installing new valves anyway, the average Beehive spring does a better job with near 15 lbs less seat pressure for less friction and easier Cam brake in yet provides higher rpm usage!

If you can not do such then go with a good true duel spring set up with no high firction/ high oil temp and failure prone flat wire damper .

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 01-25-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beehive valve springs have come a very long way since first being introduced by Sig Erson in the late 1960's. Yes, they have been around at least that long. Long term durability has always been the issue with high stress concentration in the smaller coils under the retainer that eventually break. GM and Chrysler, in particular, have had non-stop issues with broken valve springs in the OE applications. LS engines, GM 3.1, 3.4, 3.5 V-6 have been terrible. Chrysler 3.6, 3.7, 4.7, and hemi V-8 all break springs. For performance applications, I would only use a very high quality beehive from a manufacturer like PAC to feel confident it won't break. I have no argument with the potential performance advantage of the lightweight spring, simple design, and lower lost. Breaking a spring and possibly dropping a valve does concern me a little.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We generally stay away from beehives for a Pontiac. If you shop smart you can get a small dual spring set up at an economical price that gives you almost all the performance gains from a beehive spring but it's less hassle and gives one piece of mind using a dual spring set up. Or if it's in the budget a killer set with matching titanium retainers and locks.

We occasionally use the yellow LS springs in SBC street builds and usually switch to a dual spring set up on LS builds.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the use of oval spring wire that most use now has improved the breakage issue.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!