Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-01-2017, 05:33 PM

Default Mid plate install question

I'm installing a mid plate and motor plate on my 67 GTO and everyone is telling me the motor should sit offset to the passenger side 1/2". Mine is closer to center between the frame rails. That's with the stock frame mounts and motor mounts. I measured the pinion and it's offset 1/2" like everyone says. Do I just forget about the measurement and mount everything using the stock mounts as a guide? I think I'm overthinking all of this. Figure never hurts to ask for other peoples input...

Old 02-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the original mounts as a guide.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman005 View Post
I used the original mounts as a guide.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RSFEDGTO View Post
I'm installing a mid plate and motor plate on my 67 GTO and everyone is telling me the motor should sit offset to the passenger side 1/2". Mine is closer to center between the frame rails. That's with the stock frame mounts and motor mounts. I measured the pinion and it's offset 1/2" like everyone says. Do I just forget about the measurement and mount everything using the stock mounts as a guide? I think I'm overthinking all of this. Figure never hurts to ask for other peoples input...
You might want to follow Jerry Bickel's suggestions in this link:

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2016/1...s-drag-racing/

He builds some very fast chassis.

Tom V.

He says put the crankshaft centerline and transmission shaft centerline EXACTLY down the centerline of the vehicle.

The OEM Engineers put the engine where they wanted it for Clearance with factory parts and the chassis structure.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

there is a train of thought that the offset is to help with weight bias to offset the side of the driver --

Old 02-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I offset my engine by 1" to the passenger side (our passenger side is on the left as you sit in the car 'cos we are right hand drive), this compensates for the drivers weight on the right hand side and helps to stop the left front end(as you sit in the car) of the car lifting too much. Ballast can do the same thing if your engine is on the centreline of the car.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Should the placement of the rear end come into play?
If you move the engine over an inch and a half should be pinion also be moved over the same amount?

Old 02-02-2017, 10:52 AM
Boost Engineer

The drawings I have seen show some slight offset is allowed left to right but the pinion yoke cannot point towards the tail stock yoke. One of those deals where the trans shaft center-line is on one plane and the yoke center-line is on a different plane but parallel.

Never claimed to be a chassis expert so only going by the "construction" plans I have seen for drag cars and road race cars.

There are images on the web that do a decent job of explaining the concept.
I do know that having the pinion yoke pointed upward is a bad idea.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I 'ASSUMED' a bit of an offset would be fine always best to ask

Old 02-02-2017, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Iv'e built a few chassis and installed engine plates and what I found in most cases off setting the engine to the right is almost always a must in order to install the steering column with enough room for the exhaust. Even with using the rack steering you still need to get a steering column even w/joints through the left side to the rack or box is a challenge. This becomes even harder with the 28" wide chassis most mid size cars require. My 61 Tempest engine is 1.5" to the right and the car leaves straight and level and I have no anti roll bar on the car.

Wanted to add that I run a 9" Ford rear and my drive shaft crosses the car at a slight angle but is parallel. My cars been 138.00 MPH and no issues at all. It actually helps with phasing.

Last edited by tiacguy; 02-02-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Great article

The article in Tom Vaught's first post was very informantive and helpfull without getting TOO technical. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2017, 04:07 PM
Boost Engineer

Jetty Bickel is a fine race car builder and an even better teacher and writer.

Jerry has built a couple of cars for Mike Cooper over the years. His old Tempest and now his Firebird.

You can obviously take his info to the bank. Glad it was helpful for the board.

Tom V.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:13 PM

Well I used the factory mounts as a guide and everything seems to line up with the rearend. Driveshaft is straight as an arrow. Hopefully it's all good..

Old 02-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Boost Engineer

Drive shaft should not be straight from the center of the trans shaft to the center of the pinion yoke. Trans shaft angle should be parallel to the yoke but not a straight line (looking from the side. If the yoke is pointing at the transmission, the yoke under acceleration will cause severe stress on the driveshaft. This might help a bit in racer terms, Mike. Image is good for a vehicle driven on the street at all.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...203sc-driving/

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveshaft angle.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	446384  

Old 02-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For a drag-only car, a straight line will work fine. For a street-driven car, it's best to have some angle (as shown in Tom's picture). Since I built my chassis from scratch, it worked out that my driveline is straight and level from front to back (except for one degree or so at the rear end to account for four-link slop taken up under the severe load of a pass). So far, no issues.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 02-03-2017, 05:42 PM

My motor angle and pinion angle are good. I was referring to the side to side. Up and down they are not directly in line. Car is primarily a grudge car with minimal street use....