Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile I'm thinking about a tubed chassie race car

Instead of slowly turning my lemans into something more then a street car, Ive decided that my only option is to build a race only car.

Id like to do a tube chassie and have it look like the following car:

Or, an old 1 from fiberglass body, do they make them?

I've always LOVED how this car looks.

It would be a race only car,m with the IA2 block and race heads, possible power adder is a blower.

Its exciting to think about it, sure its gona take 5 years to complete, but it makes more sense then slowly turning my daily driver into a race car.

WHo runs the 06,61 62 Catalina?

Brandi

WHo runs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61PontCat421SDFL(black).jpg
Views:	381
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	39108  

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 01-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Brandi,
Its a good idea to start fresh if you can afford to. You end up with a much better car then somthing that had evolved into a race car.

Some tips:
-Build it out of all round tube and not a 2x3 main rail
-Go with a glass body as it makes the car much eaiser to build and in the end its cheaper and lighter
-If your going to try to build it yourself, atleast have a good shop construct the main chassis so you dont need to build a jig or end up with a bad car

Rex

Old 01-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Just to pick on you Brandi, it's spelled chassis

Old 01-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tininjun67
Just to pick on you Brandi, it's spelled chassis

its ok, i cant spell to save my life.

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 01-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Brandi Kay, That is one beautiful 61 and I don't blame you for wanting a car that looks like that. If you check [url]www.racingjunk.com regularly, you might find a tube chassis Pontiac roller or a turn key for sale. I haven't looked in "cars for sale" in a while, but I remember seeing a 62 Cat, a 64 goat, and a 63 tempest a couple of years ago. They're out there. You just have to be patient and wait for the right one. If you send me your e-mail address, I would send you any ads that I think you might be interested in.

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 01-16-2006, 12:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Brandi, if you really want to do this you should give a hard look at Ken's Funny Car. It will do everything you want, and it's a part of Pontiac history too.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hey Guys

The only thing is, this is after i finish my lemans, so next year i can look into starting to look for a 61 or a funny car like Kens.

I just spent so much time on trying to turn my lemans into a thinly disguised race car, i thought it would be moer prudent to look for a race only car -and since im into old school, that 61 cat looked might good.

I have to research for a year or so, and i wont be able to actually buy anything for this idea for at least a year or two, after i graduate college, but you can bet your SD 455's that I WILL do this.

I have to finish my lemans first then on to the care car.

it HAS to be OLD SCHOOL OR A SPECIAL PONTIAC HIStory, of course.

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 01-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope you have deep pockets because it can be expensive. You will also need a truck and trailer so add that expense along with insurance, taxs, license plates, etc., etc..

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 01-16-2006, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get some experience in a slower car before you jump into building, or buying a tube car. I plan to eventually step up to a chassis car, but not for a few years. I'm learning a lot in the meantime, and am getting track time and experience.

Nothing personal, but I'd not want you in the lane next to me with a fast car and little experience.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 01-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default CHASSIS CAR

Maybe something like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO1.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	39139   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO3.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	39140   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO4.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	39141  

Old 01-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My advice?

YOU GOTTA' LEARN HOW TO WALK BEFORE YOU LEARN HOW TO RUN.

You've never raced anything before, and now you're talking of building a race car capable of ET's faster than 10 seconds at speeds greater than 135 MPH? And don't forget your "support group". Going to take a trailer and truck to pull it with to get it to the track.

Baby steps. Start with your daily driver, build it up to be a nice street machine, or street/strip machine. Play with it for a while and get accustomed to what it's like to drive a 12 or 11 second car. Then take the next step. Modify it for safely running 11.49 or faster. Or get another car for that purpose. Jumping right into a tube chassis car when you've never even raced a 15 second street bomb is a mighty big chunk to bite off and chew.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:43 AM

From my experience with these cars I'd like to share the following:

1. I believe that it is almost always more affordable and practical to buy a nice complete rolling chassis or T/K car that is in good condition and certified, than it is to build one. You may have to compromise on some style items, but money talks. If you can get a package deal (car, motor, trailer, etc... even better).

2. It is higly adviseable that anyone interested in getting into a 9.90 car or faster, start by spending a season or two in a 10 second car. Prior to the 10 second car driving a 11 or 12 second ride will help immensly. The speed differentials are incredible, as is the level of competition.

3. Remember that just because you own a a car that will run 9.99 or faster you may not be allowed to drive it. There's a licensing process for IHRA and NHRA that requires you demonstrate the ability to safely operate the vehicle at speed. This must be signed off on by 3 competitors and the track/race directors.

4. Racecars can be very expensive. There are literally hundreds of things you'll decide you need to have as spares plus the truck and trailer. Again, my advice is find someone that's getting out of racing and try to take advantage of the used prices.

I am somewhat biased in my recommendations, as I have a 1970 GTO racecar for sale. I'm asking slightly more than 1/2 of what it cost me to build it, and have had it for sale for 6+ months. If anyone is interested, it's still available in the GTO For Sale forum.

Hope this helps a little. I do love those old Cats though.

Blair

Old 01-16-2006, 11:55 AM

Default Keep it fun

Whether you build a tube chassis car or evolve you street car into a street/strip or full race setup, my suggestions/comments would be to:

1) keep it affordable, which is the prime ingredient to keeping it fun. don't get in over your head $$-wise and not be able to finish the project or race the car as much and as often as you want.
2) figure out your goals and objectives for the car before you start the project and stick to it until you finish it. do you want a fast car or a competitive car (that isn't necessarily the same thing), what class or classes will you compete in, full tree or pro tree, how long do you expect the engine to last between rebuilds or major maintenance?
3) for your first "ride", start with a reliable setup that lets you make as many runs as you can. a car that can be hot lapped is a definite plus here. the more passes you make the quicker the learning curve.
4) do you want to be able to single hand the car at the track if need be? If so, you want to focus on a low maintenance car.
5) each 1 full second of elasped time reduction is a big difference from a driver's standpoint. when I started letting my oldest son drive my roadster (he had raced a 12sec street car), we throttle stopped the roadster down to run 12 flat and let him get used to it. once he was comfortable with the car/speed we changed the stop to speed him up about 1/2 second at a time. only after he had quite a few laps under his belt and I was confident in his abilty to drive it when it was set up for a mid 9 second pass did I let him run the car off the stop/flat out.
6) when building a new tube chassis car to buying a used one, make sure that the chassis will pass the applicable NHRA/IHRA inspections.

Last edited by Nine Ninety; 01-16-2006 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Perhaps this.........

http://216.178.81.108/forums/showthread.php?t=460382

Previous - 2001 Jerry Haas-built P/S Grand Am - former WJ car, Hoffman Racing 535" IA2, Tiger Heads/Intake, Single Dominator, PG
Best ET: 7.776 @ 175.94, 1.096 60', 2375 lbs.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Suspended

When doing your homework, start at the begining. Are you going to drive the car on the street? If so, check out insurance regulations because it can be next to impossible to get insurance with such modifications. I'm sure there are many people out there with such modifications without the insruance company knowing about it. The thing is that if something happens where insruance comes into play, you might be in for problems because they aren't going to pay for anything they don't have to pay for.

As far as power: Go for it, and it's not something you need to build up to. Of course, there is skill involved in the game, but keeping the harness on power is all about common sense more so than skill level. Because the car can move at less-than-full-throlle, the solution is not hop in it and throw it to the floor until you have at least pulled away from the curb. And it doesn't take a lot of brains--well, yes it does take a lot of brains--to drive it.

My daugher has a modified 00 r/a t/a, and the car probally does low 11's high 10's. She upgraded from a pos Mitsubitc or whatever the sepelling on the rice burner. He childhood exposure probally played a role in the matter, but the point is that she naturally figured it out as to the finer points of keeping it pointed straight, and she can drag race with the best of the boys, knowing exactly how to get a good hook-up off the line.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

Ebay #4605118079
Now all you need to do is buy a truck and trailer and your ready to go.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! This from a guy who's jumping from a mid 10 second door car to a funny flopper?? I didnt see anywhere in her post that see was going to do this next week. Brandi I read all your post and I will say I admire your efforts. Theres nothing wrong with planning ahead. Im shure everybody on here does it.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiacguy

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! This from a guy who's jumping from a mid 10 second door car to a funny flopper?? I didnt see anywhere in her post that see was going to do this next week. Brandi I read all your post and I will say I admire your efforts. Theres nothing wrong with planning ahead. Im shure everybody on here does it.
I agree with the planning ahead, and admiring the desire to look ahead and go faster...yes, we all do that. I could be wrong, but I don't think Brandi has ever taken a trip down a track in any car. I think she'd be smart to get some seat time in ANY car!

FWIW, Brian will not be driving the flopper...John Gunter will be.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 01-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A friend of mines daughter drives a jet car for Hannah (300 mph). She knew alot about racing because of her dad (He runs a 48 Fiat in super comp) but hadnt really driven anything prior to her getting involved with Hannah. But she learned and is quite competitive. My daughter who graduated with her, played basketball with her etc., was shocked when she found out Jessie was racing and was even more shocked that she was driving a Jet car. She is 23. So maybe your dad doesnt have connections(I dont know you enough to say) but dont let that stop you. There are people out there that will sponser you or hire you to drive etc. Many ways to get to where you want to be. Maybe someone near you can help you out. All the advise above is good and worth considering. Go for whatever you want to do.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm thinking about a red-head w/ a nice chassis.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!