Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-30-2000, 08:56 PM

Okay, guys, just for arguments' sake---
What are the VISUAL differences between an internally-regulated alternator and the old external-reg type?
(12-pack riding on this...)
Thanks, Double A

Old 06-30-2000, 08:56 PM

Okay, guys, just for arguments' sake---
What are the VISUAL differences between an internally-regulated alternator and the old external-reg type?
(12-pack riding on this...)
Thanks, Double A

Old 06-30-2000, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The old externally regulated GM altenators had a smooth rear case & I believe had a more square plug going into them. The 10 SI internally regulated altenators which replaced the earlier version, had a fluted rear case & had a flat blade type plug in. Pontiac basically pioneered the internal regulated altenator on the '68 GP (the one with the vinyl top toupee). If there's an abundance in the beer fund, make mine a Rolling Rock. After all it's Friday night. Later...

Old 07-01-2000, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

oL' Pinion Head has the idea. On the newer 10SI style, the plug goes in from the side of the rear housing whereas on the older ones, the plug (which is more square) plugs in from the back of the housing.

Got a cold one for me?

Have a happy Fourth, God bless the USA!

Regards, George

Old 07-01-2000, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, If my memory serves me right, there was a certain year(around 68-70) that the alternator was produced with a ext push on lead plug and an internal reg. Took a different plug all together? This is a looooooooooong time ago, but I think it was an internal type with a external regulator also in line? Tell me I'm not nuts? Wait! let me rephrase that. Tell me I'm not imagining things. No Wait! Let me rephr............ http://Pontiacpower.cc Accept some days you are the pigeon, and some days your the STATUE!