Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To use the word “coating”, what are we refer to? You can coat the side of the piston, the top, underside, cranks, bearings, valves, heads, ect. The purpose to alter the finish, is what coatings are intended to do. They control friction, oil film, surface metal and heat. The coatings can be made up of many different materials based on the intended use. Many of the materials in property do exactly what they are intended to do. An example of this from my actual experience is hard anodizing applied to a piston. The process allows the piston to resist and dissipate heat faster than an untreated piston. I’ve seen where the chamber in a cylinder head became distorted from heat in which the exact same condition prior to treating the piston became distorted. I’ve also seen where specific coatings that have been used with normal operating conditions, the coating were no longer evident after tear down. So it all depends on the specific application and intended use. In all cases I would prefer coated main, rod and cam bearings in place of non-coated. I would also use specific heat related coatings whenever possible if the budget allows. It increases the latitude of an application and allows other changes in clearances to be used. If these adjustments aren’t taken into consideration during the builds, I can see no attribute to using them, but using the coatings and allowing changes to the build to take advantage of them will only show the value in the process.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

true enough. I have coated bearings in the engine and elsewhere on the car. I will continue to use them. As a friction modifier....yes. I also agree on hard anodizing pistons in boosted/nitrous applications to help with protecting ring lands etc...

The premise was, coating pistons and combustion chambers = 10-20 hp.

Got any reliable info or experience with HP gains that can be measured?

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PY needs coated to protect itself from the BS and so called experts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

drop cloth?

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
Got any reliable info or experience with HP gains that can be measured?
In a turbo diesel application, iron headed truck pulling engine incorporated coatings and found a drop in operating temps, this in turn allowed increased boost which led to additional HP. What came first, the chicken or the egg???

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

The Following User Says Thank You to 65nss4spdGTO For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
In a turbo diesel application, iron headed truck pulling engine incorporated coatings and found a drop in operating temps, this in turn allowed increased boost which led to additional HP. What came first, the chicken or the egg???

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
Better question. Did it make more with just the coating?

Old 01-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I hear ya but The way I see it, any change that ALLOWS me to make another change that produces power, then the first changes worth is validated. JMO

ph. 248-259-6696
The Following User Says Thank You to john marcella For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn we have a lot of Ramblers - almost 500 posts -- I feel so proud, like a new daddy

Old 01-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
Damn we have a lot of Ramblers - almost 500 posts -- I feel so proud, like a new daddy
Yeah but it reminds me of this baby....

http://youtu.be/PUKMUZ4tlJg

Last edited by GTO Dan; 01-17-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Theoretically, if friction is reduced, heat is reduced, and the reduced friction means there is less internal parasitic losses, which means there is a greater net power at the crank at every RPM. Not even debatable! What IS debatable is if the gain is enough to even measure at the track and conclude that that little difference was a result of the coating, and if so, was it worth the $$$$$.

Last edited by Motor Daddy; 01-17-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Dan View Post
Yeah but it reminds me of this baby....

http://youtu.be/PUKMUZ4tlJg
Id say very close lol

Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ramble on

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeise View Post
Damn we have a lot of Ramblers

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 01-18-2014, 09:24 AM

I have nothing to contribute, I just wanna be able to say that I posted on "RAMBLERS".

Old 01-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by john marcella View Post
I hear ya but The way I see it, any change that ALLOWS me to make another change that produces power, then the first changes worth is validated. JMO
agreed. just asking the question. no answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-daddy View Post
Theoretically, if friction is reduced, heat is reduced, and the reduced friction means there is less internal parasitic losses, which means there is a greater net power at the crank at every RPM. Not even debatable! What IS debatable is if the gain is enough to even measure at the track and conclude that that little difference was a result of the coating, and if so, was it worth the $$$$$.
We aren't talking theory here. And as stated there are coated bearings in my car. The challenged contention was that coating the pistons and combustion chambers was worth 10-20hp. not bearings and piston skirts. BUT OK we'll include them in the hp debate. I'll coat my whole engine if someone can stand behind that claim of 10-20hp. DEAL?

It is debatable....In theory yes it should work, I agree. thats why I investigated it. The question has always been what will the MEASURABLE hp gain likely be? Not that theres no way it could worth anything at all ever. We cannot even get a guy to stand up and say it was measurable on a dyno.....let alone in a track test. To the best of my limited knowledge there are no nascar teams using it OR nhra prostock etc classes. Doesn't the guy who owns diamond pistons,a coating company, and a prostock entry NOT COATING his own teams engine say anything? Any ideas how many thousands of dollars these guys will pay for 20 hp?

Old 01-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

We aren't talking theory here. And as stated there are coated bearings in my car. The challenged contention was that coating the pistons and combustion chambers was worth 10-20hp. not bearings and piston skirts. BUT OK we'll include them in the hp debate. I'll coat my whole engine if someone can stand behind that claim of 10-20hp. DEAL?

It is debatable....In theory yes it should work, I agree. thats why I investigated it. The question has always been what will the MEASURABLE hp gain likely be? Not that theres no way it could worth anything at all ever. We cannot even get a guy to stand up and say it was measurable on a dyno.....let alone in a track test. To the best of my limited knowledge there are no nascar teams using it OR nhra prostock etc classes. Doesn't the guy who owns diamond pistons,a coating company, and a prostock entry NOT COATING his own teams engine say anything? Any ideas how many thousands of dollars these guys will pay for 20 hp?
Mike,
Did anyone make that claim? Or have you turned my WAG into a claim?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weiss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Mike,

Stan

LOL, I have been waiting for this post.

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 01-18-2014, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The challenged contention was that coating the pistons and combustion chambers was worth 10-20hp. not bearings and piston skirts. BUT OK we'll include them in the hp debate. I'll coat my whole engine if someone can stand behind that claim of 10-20hp. DEAL?
1st Didn't you say that you tried the piston top coating? If so, I'd like to know who you used as your 'coating' company when you used it?

Now, do you know Mike Moran?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Quote:

10-20HP sounds high, but 20 hp@9,000 RPM is 11 lb-ft of torque. Not a lot, but less than the rotational load of a shortblock. There's a lot of friction and heat from 8 cylinders having pistons and rings traveling from TDC to BDC and back to TDC ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY TIMES PER SECOND!

Last edited by Motor Daddy; 01-18-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
1st Didn't you say that you tried the piston top coating? If so, I'd like to know who you used as your 'coating' company when you used it?

Now, do you know Mike Moran?

Yes I do. What words are you going to put in Mike's mouth?

ph. 248-259-6696
Old 01-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Mike,

Stan
Quote:
Jeff,
Let's look at that a little closer.

A nitrous racer spending let's say $500 on coating to gain just a WAG here 10-20 HP. That is Crazy when a small jet change to flow 40-80 lb/hr more does the same thing. Cost?

Same subject different reason. Are they running the hard top piston coating?

Stan
You are the one making the claims and i am the guy asking you to support it. Call it what you want your WAG is unsubstantiated but was stated "as lets say" You also said lets look a little closer.

So I'm looking a little closer. FACTS?

A guy like you or john should have no trouble finding the real value and applying a calculator for us dummies to "learn from". There are several guys that have supplied me with "tips" on things that can increase HP. They usually sound like this.... "hey mike fyi, i made 13 more hp with xxxx brand and weight oil. Make sure its at xxx temp when you start the pull."

You guys have NOTHING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-daddy View Post
10-20HP sounds high, but 20 hp AT 9,000 RPM is 11 lb-ft of torque. Not a lot, but less than the rotational load of a shortblock. There's a lot of friction and heat from 8 cylinders having pistons and rings traveling from TDC to BDC and back to TDC ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY TIMES PER SECOND!
I agree in theory. Again I'm not asking for theories, I requested facts or experience. So far Calvin is the only one to offer any experience where coating led to a HP increase, Second hand increase through increased boost. But OK, So now maybe the boosted guys can glean something useful.

Also one would think a much lighter reciprocating weight would show up easy on a dyno, yet most times it does not. It may help shift recovery and accelerate a car slightly faster. Mostly its easier on parts at high rpm.