Industry Stuff new repro's, updates, other info.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:43 AM

Default Tariffs, New Factory Means More Craftsman Hand Tools will be Made in the USA

I just read that Stanley tools who now owns Craftsman tools will be building a new factory in Texas. Link to articular ( https://toolguyd.com/craftsman-hand-...y-news-052019/ ) I was hoping this would happen once Stanley took over the company. Most of my older tool are the made in USA Craftsman tools. All my better tools are Proto tools which are made under the Stanley brand in the USA. I have been buying Proto tools for years and most of my real good tools are made by them. They are not that very well known, but they make mostly industrial and aerospace tools, you just can't break them and are hands down I think over Snap on. Stanley tools truck brand I believe is Maco. I guess what Trump said was true if you level the playing field company's will comeback to the USA and make their products right here in the USA tariff free

Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Would love to see that happen - good on many levels. I don't make my living with hand tools so I don't need the gold standard stuff. Craftsman tools I bought decades ago still work fine and anything close to that will likely outlast me. Also been a Proto fan for a while but since Graingers closed the local branch shipping costs are prohibitive so unless I really need it I look elsewhere. Hope for the best. Mark O.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a second generation mechanic I have used, and after his passing, inherited my Dad's tools many of which were Proto, very good tools. I also had about 50% of my tools (Snap On Mac Cornwell etc.) stolen and have replaced a good many with Stanley tools. The Stanley have a good feel to them,, are reasonably priced and I have broken only a very few of them in the last 15 years since I started using them. Considering how much I paid for the tool truck tools the Stanley are a much better value IMO.

Haven't bought any crapsman since they wouldn't replace a breaker bar about 35 years ago, swore them off and never went back again.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good

Old 05-16-2019, 02:53 PM

Proto tools are very costly not sold everywhere and hard to get. I got into them because I use to work for a utility company for 33 years and they bought all are tools and tool boxes for us to use. The funny part or that was in case we got hurt and a tool would break it would be on them not us. I just bought all new air tools after 20 years and Proto they came out with a new air tool line and design. 1260 ft torque and a small and light weight package. Priced much lower then my IR air tools. (in the range of $175- $250I. just love the way they both work 1/2 inch and 3/8 drive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Impact.png
Views:	358
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	512364   Click image for larger version

Name:	j150wp-m_1.png
Views:	354
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	512365  

Old 05-19-2019, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The mechanics at The Gillette Company in South Boston MA used Proto. Not sure what they are using now since P&G owns them. I left there in 2012 so maybe things changed.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:34 PM

Love south Boston. I own a condo there, Just don't like the Red Sox LOL

Old 05-20-2019, 11:38 AM
Suspended

Old 05-20-2019, 04:23 PM

I like your logo