Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:07 PM

Default TCC solenoid location 2.4l Grand Am?

Trying to just disconnect my TCC lockup solenoid on my 2000 Grand Am 2.4l 4 banger. I took off driver side tire and don't see it even after removing plastic splash guards (or whatever) I also removed my air filter box from on top to try and look down and see it....no luck.

I'm not really a car guy but learning as I go.

Tried google and youtube search with no luck. I am purposely trying to avoid dropping the engine and all the FUN that goes with that. The car is old I will gladly take the drop in gas miles if it fixes the problem.

I'm new here so please let me know if I posted this in the wrong section. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2020, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most TCC solenoids are inside the transmission. It is not a bolt on from outside. Usually in the transmission pan and sometimes the valve body needs to be removed.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Read here, might help you understand where to find the solenoids.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28893

Do you know what model trans you have? What is the trans doing? Did you get a code? Might get some help here if you describe the problem. Or the Grand Am forum guys might be better versed and able to help, try asking for help there.

I was a neophyte about 10 years ago when I fixed the 4L60E in my '97 Safari. Had never as much as dropped a pan on an auto trans prior to that. Didn't go deeper than the valve body and separator plate but learned a lot. Solved an intermittent extremely hard shift issue and very happy with the result.

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Read here, might help you understand where to find the solenoids.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28893

Do you know what model trans you have? What is the trans doing? Did you get a code? Might get some help here if you describe the problem. Or the Grand Am forum guys might be better versed and able to help, try asking for help there.

I was a neophyte about 10 years ago when I fixed the 4L60E in my '97 Safari. Had never as much as dropped a pan on an auto trans prior to that. Didn't go deeper than the valve body and separator plate but learned a lot. Solved an intermittent extremely hard shift issue and very happy with the result.
Not sure the model of the transmission.
My neighbor is a car guy and after I changed the IAC and TPS with no change all that's left is the solenoid I think. He said the solenoid right away since he had to do it on his vehicles I guess its common but I wanted to do the easy stuff first.

It drops RPMs while coasting and will shudder when I do hit the gas. Its idols a little ruff in neutral but I think that's something else.
Neutral is the only sure way to get it to idol and prevent it from stalling out totally. Several intersections it has died on me in. However if I'm slowing way down or stopping for one and put it in neutral the idol will quick get back to normal but then I sometimes need to hit the gas to raise the RPMS before putting back to drive or it will stall out.

Removing and changing it is too much work I think. I just was hoping to unplug it from the outside unless that's not possible......

I'll check out the link thanks!

Old 09-04-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
Most TCC solenoids are inside the transmission. It is not a bolt on from outside. Usually in the transmission pan and sometimes the valve body needs to be removed.
Thanks I realize that but heard you can pull a the plug going to it from the outside usually. It do you mean the whole crap is inside so I can't just disconnect it from the outside leaving it inside but disconnected?
Thanks

Old 09-04-2020, 10:03 AM

So basically there is no easy just find the plug hidden outside the engine and disconnect it? If I disconnect it or replace it I still need to dig inside the transmission?

Old 09-04-2020, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGreaseMonkey View Post
So basically there is no easy just find the plug hidden outside the engine and disconnect it? If I disconnect it or replace it I still need to dig inside the transmission?
Granted, I don't have any autmoatics from this area, but the "2.4L piqued my interest (I'm a Quad4 guy, that's essentially a detuned Quad4);
If the plug end is outside of the transmission, there should be a retention bolt close by;
remove the retaining bolt, then you should be able to wiggle the solenoid out.

... I just did some searching;
It looks like that should be a 4t60-e transmission, and it will be inside;

https://www.rostrapowertrain.com/wp-.../Form4290B.pdf

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-04-2020, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve forgotten most of what I had to do to fix the 4L60E but the major issue was worn out shift ball holes in the Separator Plate.

That caused the balls to intermittently hang up.

I thought the shift solenoids might have been the problem and I did replace them but repairing the holes in the plate was the fix.

One symptom I recall was the trans not downshifting to 1st gear when coming to a stop. In turn, that made it accelerate like I was pulling an anchor.

Yours might be doing the same. I suggest that you try manually shifting the trans into 1st gear as you roll to a stop. Up shift as you accelerate gear by gear. If that fixes your stalling, that might suggest a similar mechanical issue rather than the TCC solenoid.