Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-24-2020, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only 'switched' black w/yellow wires I'm seeing is wipers, washer and TH400 downshift switch.

Clay

Old 10-24-2020, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you're on to something Clay.
Mike can you check the wiper motor for a Black with Red stripe wire? If its there, try switching with the Black with Yellow stripe wire on the relay and see what happens.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 10-24-2020, 10:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
I think you're on to something Clay.
Mike can you check the wiper motor for a Black with Red stripe wire? If its there, try switching with the Black with Yellow stripe wire on the relay and see what happens.
Yesterday I put a meter on all of the wires on the wiper and none were hot, and there was no black w/red, just another black/yellow.

I re-routed some of the wiring years ago, like my regulator. It possible that when I re-wrapped it, I wrapped that plug. I'm going to start by removing the harness plug and see if I even see an orange wire. If not, I'm running a hot wire to the relay.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 10-24-2020, 11:00 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
The only 'switched' black w/yellow wires I'm seeing is wipers, washer and TH400 downshift switch.

Clay
Most likely the one I currently have on the relay is the downshift plug. The car is far from stock and never had a stock downshift.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
Old 10-25-2020, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikin Mike View Post

I'm not seeing any orange plug in the engine compartment. I'm ready to just run a hot lead to the relay and be done with it. The buzzer isn't important, though I'm going to pull the steering wheel and see if the buzzer/key switch is good.

Going to look more in the next few days...
Orange was an accessory power feed that went inside the car. It piggy-backed off the black w/ red stripe 'hot' wire. Appears your car doesn't need or use it. Black w/ red came from the back of the alternator or the master splice behind the alternator.

Do your initial key buzzer testing at the turn signal switch connector. That's if it doesn't start working when you get a hot wire ran to the relay. No since in pulling the steering wheel if you don't need to.

Clay

Old 10-26-2020, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's some pics I added some 'commentary' to:

and inside of car:

The orange wire is not the source of power to horn relay, it's the one to the alternator wiring loom by the fusible link connection.
The dark green on engine side from relay to firewall becomes black out of the firewall connector that goes to the steering column connector.
I would think the dark green would not have any other wire with it? (like your pic)
The black single pink stripe is the buzzer.
You need a black single red stripe probably a bigger wire for power to the relay. (should be from the alternator wiring loom on engine)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69-bird-schematic-fuse-panel.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	552316   Click image for larger version

Name:	69-bird-schematic-engine-side.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	552318   Click image for larger version

Name:	69-bird-schematic-engine-side1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	552319  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates

Last edited by johnta1; 10-26-2020 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added updated pic
Old 10-26-2020, 06:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Here's some pics I added some 'commentary' to:

and inside of car:

The orange wire is not the source of power to horn relay, it's the one to the alternator wiring loom by the fusible link connection.
The dark green on engine side from relay to firewall becomes black out of the firewall connector that goes to the steering column connector.
I would think the dark green would not have any other wire with it? (like your pic)
The black single pink stripe is the buzzer.
You need a black single red stripe probably a bigger wire for power to the relay. (should be from the alternator wiring loom on engine)

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time reading the yellow text.

I decided to just add a "jumper" from the alternator to the relay. Horn blows any time. The buzzer does not, as I expected. Pulled the wheel and the buzzer/key switch is broken.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Unfortunately I'm having a hard time reading the yellow text.
Yeh, I hate using PY's storage, it cuts the pics down too much. Usually download to my site but didn't on this. The pic is clear on my computer.

Good to see you found the problem possibly.
(at least one of them)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates