Old 10-23-2020, 05:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Complete 1966 GTO Front Drum Brake Setup: Whats it worth?

I am trying hard to not be a hoarder at my new house. I have come across the original front drum brake setups which I removed from my 1966 GTO over 30 years ago. They have moved with me 5 times over the last 30 years, and they are still occupying space.

My original thought was keep them in case I ever wanted to go back to drums for originality, but as I get older, I don't ever see that happening.

Is there any value in these drum brake setups? Or are they just worth the scrap cost?

I can list them if someone could use them. Just looking for a little feedback. Always appreciate the forum responses...

-------------------------------------
1966 GTO 4 speed Hardtop Alabama car (Marina Turquoise w turquoise interior)
1970 TA 4 speed Canadian car (Lucerne Blue w bright blue interior)
Old 10-23-2020, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They aren't being made anymore, and are of high quality USA made steel. I would put them up for sale here, in the classifieds. I'm running stock drums up front on both my GTO's and always will. There are other fossils like myself who run them and may need a spare set. JMHO.....

Old 10-23-2020, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
They aren't being made anymore, and are of high quality USA made steel. I would put them up for sale here, in the classifieds. I'm running stock drums up front on both my GTO's and always will. There are other fossils like myself who run them and may need a spare set. JMHO.....
Hey, easy on the Fossils.

I think the old front drums work perfectly on all the early GTO’s I’ve owned.

Do proper maintenance and enjoy the feel of the 60’s era.

Chris.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What 60sstuff said. So many perfectly good drum brake set ups being replaced...that don't need to be.

The Following User Says Thank You to Geoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Do proper maintenance and enjoy the feel of the 60’s era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
What 60sstuff said. So many perfectly good drum brake set ups being replaced...that don't need to be.
Keep in mind that OP removed the front drums on his car over 30 years ago. He's not asking whether it's worth it to swap the drums out for discs.

I scrapped all my original drum brakes and suspension on my '66. That said, the large anchor bolt at the top had sheered off on the passenger side and the drums had been damaged during removal due to being stuck on. Not much worth saving there.

Personally, if I were OP, I'd be happy just to find someone who would take the parts for free, as I can't imagine anyone wanting to actually pay money for old 66 A-body drums. I think it will be a challenge to find someone who wants them who is local, because shipping would be prohibitively expensive due to weight.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 10-24-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:01 PM

Eventually someone will place a ‘parts wanted’ ad in the classifieds for looking for a good original drum or spindle.

That’s probably the only way those parts will eventually find their way back into use again. It’s just a matter of how much longer you’re willing to store them until that happens.

Don’t hesitate to list them, price them reasonably enough that they’re a decent deal and at the same time worth your trouble to pack and ship them. Trying to sell them as a set or an entire left or right side assembly lessens your chances of selling them, very heavy and expensive to ship.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If they didn't have to be shipped I'd probably take them off of your hands. My '66 has some mismatched drums, from I don't know what, and a few broken studs.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went disc brakes up front an won't go back to drums. My GTO stops better and straighter than it ever did before with drums. All the parts, except the spindles, are boxed, and someday I'll sell them as a set. So I too wonder what they're worth.

Chris..... the feel of the 60s era could be a killer someday. That's the main reason I went with discs up front.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Chris..... the feel of the 60s era could be a killer someday.
I disagree. I added discs, and didn't see a noticeable improvement in stopping power.
"Stops better and straighter" just means that your old brakes weren't working as they
should have. Discs have a slight edge in stopping distance, but the place they shine is
brake fade. Unless you live in the mountains, that's pretty easy to avoid.

'ol Pinion head wrote about some worthwhile upgrades without ditching the drums,
and I don't think he's easily impressed. Maybe he'll chime in?

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 03:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What 242 said.....

All else being equal, a drum brake of the type used on Pontiacs [ duo-servo design ] is more efficient than a disc brake. The energy of the drum rotating is used to wedge the brake shoes into the drum to increase the braking force. A disc brake has none of this, is essentially a big Gee clamp....& one that flexes because of the open end.

Of course, if the drums are worn or out of round they don't work so well....but some people expect them to work in that condition & then say drum brakes are 'no good'.

I fitted discs to the front of my GTO & the braking distance lengthened. Quickly went back to drums, which also require far less line pressure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Geoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
What 242 said.....

All else being equal, a drum brake of the type used on Pontiacs [ duo-servo design ] is more efficient than a disc brake. The energy of the drum rotating is used to wedge the brake shoes into the drum to increase the braking force. A disc brake has none of this, is essentially a big Gee clamp....& one that flexes because of the open end.

Of course, if the drums are worn or out of round they don't work so well....but some people expect them to work in that condition & then say drum brakes are 'no good'.

I fitted discs to the front of my GTO & the braking distance lengthened. Quickly went back to drums, which also require far less line pressure.
THIS^^^. As long as the stock drum set-up is within manufacturer's specs and in good adjustment, they will lock up a wheel just as well as a disc set up. The disc set up is superior if you are road racing the car and repeatedly using the brakes at high speeds. Drums without the metallic linings will start to fade, and the discs will not. For the way most of us drive our cars, even on the drag strip, the drums are just fine. The conversion to rear disc brakes is about the most useless mod of all time, in my opinion and experience, since the fronts do 75% of the braking. I have never seen a rear disc parking brake that was even close to the effectiveness of a drum brake parking brake, either.