Old 10-21-2020, 11:09 AM
Senior Chief

Default Front end rebuild , go NOS or aftermarket ?

Hey guys

I’m thinking of rebuilding the front end on my 67 . Have any of you went the NOS route? I’m wondering how great the nos rubber might be from sitting on the shelf all those years . I could find nos rubber on eBay for big bucks and would probably take me a year to gather everything or just go aftermarket. I’m thinking 1800 for nos rubbers or 600 for aftermarket.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would go aftermarket, but buy the best quality aftermarket you can find. https://rareparts.com/buy-or-build-now

Old 10-23-2020, 12:22 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
I would go aftermarket, but buy the best quality aftermarket you can find. https://rareparts.com/buy-or-build-now
Another vote for Rareparts. Their parts looked identical to the originals I pulled out on 70 firebird.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Helped a friend restore his '67 GTO about 10 years ago. He went all aftermarket on the rubber, and Poly on the A arm bushings. The car sat for 6 months with the new parts installed waiting on the engine. When we went to install the engine, the rubber boots were in pieces laying on the ground under the car. Rotted and fallen off. We cleaned his original 45 year old rubber parts and re-installed them. Last year, the Poly A arm bushings crumbled and fell out of the car. Had about 200 miles on them. He's going to re-install NOS rubber he has in his parts pile. We used 30+ year old NOS body bushings during the install he bought in 1978 that were sealed in a plastic bag. No cracking, no problems. They don't make rubber like they used to. YMMV.....

Old 10-24-2020, 06:47 PM
Senior Chief

Awesome
Find me some NOS rubber !

Old 10-25-2020, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As Jeff said above.

The quality of aftermarket crap isn’t even close to what GM used.

NOS if you can find it.

Chris.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.