Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-24-2020, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hard 3/8 line with a Chevy qjet

Has anyone found an application that works well with the Pontiac fuel
Pump location and a passenger side fuel entry qjet like a Chevy or a Cadillac? I am trying to make it look stock.
I bought some of the
Nicop fuel line but am
Unimpressed with the look.
Currently have an Ames repro Line up from pump that I cut at the intake and ran a short piece of rubber line. This will only be good enough for the run stand though.
Thanks for the advice

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 10-24-2020, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have done that. a 12" section at the Carb, bent nicely with a fuel filter junction, but the stock line cut for allowing Filter to be parallel with the Water Log.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bend and flare my own to mimic the stock lines. Very easy to do with a good quality bender and double flare tool. In an application like that it may be your only option.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-24-2020, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paint the Nicop silver, close the hood.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

+2 on bending your own custom fuel line and double flaring.

Using a double flaring tool will have a learning curve with it, so do a couple of practice flares before venturing on to the final product.

I know a LOT of folks do it, but having any rubber hose and clamps on the pressure side of the pump is a recipe for disaster. The factory knew this and went to solid metal lines clear back in the 1960's. I wonder how many vehicles burned to the ground before they figured out that deal?

IF you are reading this and have cut your metal fuel line and put rubber hose or a see-thru/inline filter in place for one reason or another, at least take the time to use the first step of the double flaring process to put a "bulge" on the metal like to effectively retain the hose when the clamp is tightened down. I've had so many engine fire stories told to me over the years I've lost count, and just about every single one was related to a leak on the pressure side of the system...FWIW....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally agree that metal is the way to go. An exception would be my brother (Chevelle guy) who wated an inline filter between fuel pump and carb. He used Aeroquip hose, AN fittings at each end and a filter that had threads for AN fittings. So far, so good.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 10-25-2020, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I know a LOT of folks do it, but having any rubber hose and clamps on the pressure side of the pump is a recipe for disaster.
You tell 'em, Cliff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post
I personally agree that metal is the way to go. An exception would be my brother (Chevelle guy) who wated an inline filter between fuel pump and carb. He used Aeroquip hose, AN fittings at each end and a filter that had threads for AN fittings. So far, so good.
My favorite automotive machinist lost his High School Hot-Rod (65 Impala, 3x2 327, 4-speed, electric fuel pump) to a steel-braid-over-rubber-liner fuel hose system that connected the three carbs, that may or may not have been "famous name" hose. This would have been the summer between graduating high-school and going to Trade School that fall.

The rubber liner deteriorated, sprayed fuel one day when he tried to start the engine, and he was lucky enough to roll the car into the street so he didn't burn down his parent's house in the process. The fire department got lost, drove miles out of their way. He salvaged the block and heads, the trans, a few bits and pieces. The body shell went to the salvage yard. The fire melted the distributor and rear carb. No insurance, of course.

I bought the remains of the Tri-Power for $60, then replaced all sorts of pieces along with one entire carb, and used it on multiple vehicles after that. (I built metal fuel plumbing to connect the carbs!)

Last edited by Schurkey; 10-25-2020 at 03:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like the main issue is actually the color of the Nicop hard line?

I'm with Shurkey, paint it and don't worry about it, but otherwise just bend up and flare some aluminum tubing to replace it.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post
Did some research on Nicopp fuel line, sounds really good. Afte reading Shurkey's story of his friend's fiery disaster, I will talk with brother about changing his over to Nicopp with AN fittings to work with his existing fittings. Thanks all.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220219-25

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 10-26-2020, 06:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use Aeroquip hose and fittings on the Ventura, been on there about 20 years now since I sumped the tank. I team that hose up with push-loc swivel fittings and every coupling even at the nose of the carburetor is 3/8" NPT to -8AN. Since my fuel pump is behind the tank everything is under pressure except for a small section from the sumped tank to the filter then over to the pump and I'm using the same hose and fittings there as well.

Most good electric fuel pumps, regulators, etc will be 3/8" NPT, so making the switch to AN hose is pretty easy. It's suitable for use on the pressure side of the system but you still have to be aware of rubbing/abrasion even though the outer casting is tougher than alligator hide.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree and recommend/use the Aeroquip and AN stuff on many applications. Like mentioned you just have to be careful how it's routed and keep it away from moving parts, make sure it secure and not rubbing on things. Otherwise it's pretty tough, very easy to work with, comes lined with alcohol friendly material and some even advertise vapor guard and most all of it is NHRA approved. Fittings can be removed and reused and it's pretty easy to add things within the fuel line if/when needed. You can plumb an entire car with it, including a full length return line for ~$200 or so, making a 1/2" line upgrade pretty simple to do.

I absolutely don't recommend rubber hose and clamps on the pressure side of the system anywhere, especially in the engine compartment. Can't tell you how many high dollar restorations I see on muscle cars and street rods that have hack sawed metal lines and rubber hose up by the carb with some cheap plastic fuel filter. Just makes me cringe, and track tech doesn't care for it too much either.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: