Old 07-27-2008, 03:22 PM

Default 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix - Fuel Filter

Does anyone know the factory maintenance interval on this part? Here are the details so far:

1) It is not in my owner's manual or any of the crappy generic repair manuals... first time I have not seen this item listed...
2) GM recommends the vehicle be taken in for a complete fuel system service when I call to ask a simple question like this... not interested thanks.
3) My 1996 K1500 is 50,000kms (30,000 miles)... I am thinking just use that interval... it can't be too far different.
4) 3800 Series III V6, normally aspirated, daily driver, minimal maintenance, essentially my beater but I care for it.
5) The part has only just become available (2008... 4 years later) jobber... so something is fishy with this. Can anyone enlighten me on what's up with the 2004 GP fuel filter? Is it one of those near "life time" deals like the coolant / plugs?

Thanks!

Marc

Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Senior Chief

Per GM service manual it states: There is no service interval for in-line fuel filter replacement. Only replace the in-line fuel filter if the filter is restricted. I still would do it every 3 years/30,000 miles. Hope this helps.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:28 AM

judgethis,

Thanks very much for the info.. I figured something was unusual with this car and filter. I don't feel right waiting until it's restricted either that will be hard on the pump. As you suggest I will pick a reasonable interval.

Thanks,

Marc