Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 AM

Jen just looked over my shoulder and said not another guy who drives those things incomplete!

The first ride's a great motivator, it's looking good.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's gonna be a sharp looking car when you get it done! I look forward to more photos are your progress continues.

I gotta admit that I am getting a bit of a soft spot for the 62's since that is my current paint project that I am working on right now.

www.jandjrepairandrestoration
Old 04-26-2009, 11:59 AM

I enjoy following threads like this one! Thanks for all the great pics and keep at it!
-Andrew

[B]Looking for a '71 casting rochester 7042270 - have a '72 dated 7042270 that can trade?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Senior Chief

For any of you who put a TH400 in a '62 and didn't know what to do with the reverse lights, here is my solution. I heard of guys running a separate toggle switch and some doing nothing at all, but I wanted it to look stock and function, too. This is what I did. I took the neutral safety / reverse switch out and removed the bakelite contact piece. I measured it all out and fabbed up a new one out of hard plastic. The reverse contacts are in the correct location to work when it is in reverse, instead of L1.

Today I put the condenser in and worked on the AC a bit. I had to modify the dryer bracket for the new dryer I got. It's a little bigger around and a little shorter. Still working on the electric, but so far everything that I hooked up works. .

Does anyone know the routing of the cable that goes from the AC control to the solenoid? on the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	170802  

Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Senior Chief

Here's the latest and greatest. All body panels are on and fitted. Not by me I don't have the patience, know how or tools. I did try for about two weeks, but after having to take panels off and put them back on only to have to take them back off again (too many times to count), I decided that I would leave that up to the pros. I took it to a buddy (who restores Pontiacs for a living) for this part. He called me the next day and told me it was done. Guess it pays to know what you're doing. I picked it up, got it home, installed some inner door hardware, got the AC charged up and working, it blows 35°!, granted it is cool outside, but damn that's cold. In a couple of weeks it's off to paint. For those who don't remember, it is going to be dark blue with a bit of metallic and a white top. Here are the latest pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	182987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	182989  

Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucky2947 View Post

Does anyone know the routing of the cable that goes from the AC control to the solenoid? on the passenger side.
Are you talking about the manual cable that connects to the temperature control lever and the STV?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Senior Chief

Yep, but I found out that I don't need it as my new AC kit came with a micro switch that cycles the AC like modern units.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Senior Chief

Well, I finally trailered her off to the painter today. I should get it back in a few weeks. In the meantime, all the replacement glass from Auto City Classic came in today. I got the smoked glass. I didn't want clear glass and I think the green tint would look weird on a dark blue car. I didn't get a chance to look at it yet, it came in a crate on a pallet. Since the car will be gone for the next few weeks, I'll have time to clean out the garage.

Does anyone know of a GOOD car cover? I was going to cover it for the ride home. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Unless it's enclosed I wouldn't cover a car with green paint on an open trailer. Too much chance of "rub" damage from the cover.

MIke

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yeah... Mike beat me to it on the rub thing. maybe wait a few days for paint to harden.

btw.... if you actually did find a painter that does turn a car around in a few weeks like he said... let us know. a lotta people have been looking for that guy.

congratulations on getting to this point, look forward to the pics.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Congrats Mike. I'm jealous, wish it was me getting my 62 painted. Give me a PM. I have a new cover you can borrow.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Senior Chief

The guy painting it is a good friend of mine. He turned his garage into a booth and paints on the side.

How long should I wait after it's painted before I bring it home?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

This is a really cool project and you're doing a great job, Stucky. Hard to believe this is your first restoration.

What A/C kit did you install? What is your opininon of it? Did you try to adapt the '62 PS pump, alternator, etc.? Or did you elect to install '69 pieces?

Thanks
Rock

Old 10-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Chief

I searched ebay and the swap meets for all the factory AC stuff. I even bought a '62 AC dash with the intention of swapping the two. I found it a LOT easier to make templates of the AC cutouts for the control and vents and cut them out of my non AC dash. (That dash is welded on good!) I got firewall templates and the factory AC conversion manual from Terry Weber to make the firewall adaptation easier. When I first started this project, I didn't realize that a '69 engine and a '62 engine were about 3/8 different up front. so I used all the '62 factory brackets that I could (with a little modification) for stock appearance. I got the compressor rebuilt and the STV valve conversion with the thermo-switch so the compressor will cycle like the new units. I have it chraged with R12 and it does blow very cold!!

I converted to an internally regulated alternator and in the place of the voltage regulator on the firewall I mounted a MSD box. I also had the power steering pump and steering box rebuilt by Lares, the pump mounts with the factory '62 brackets.

I got all the glass and frames from Auto City today, man they look good! The chrome is perfect.

I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Senior Chief

Ok. I was thinking about doing basically the same thing you did with my '64. I think I'm going to use the PS pump, alternator and A/C compressor that goes with my '74 engine to avoid some of the problems you encountered. I've got a complete '64 AC set up located but it's in Chicago and I'm in NC. So far, that's been a problem. I'm early in my restoration, so I've got time to keep looking.

Thanks
Rock

P.S. The entire dash is bolted in in the '64. That makes changing it out a little easier.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat4spd View Post
Ok. I was thinking about doing basically the same thing you did with my '64.
me too...thanks for the info!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat4spd View Post
P.S. The entire dash is bolted in in the '64. That makes changing it out a little easier.
To me, this is one of the few (but HUGE) annoyances about '62s.

Like the udders said, I would wait a couple weeks before covering the new paint and man, your car is turning out GREAT!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucky2947 View Post
For any of you who put a TH400 in a '62 and didn't know what to do with the reverse lights, here is my solution. I heard of guys running a separate toggle switch and some doing nothing at all, but I wanted it to look stock and function, too. This is what I did. I took the neutral safety / reverse switch out and removed the bakelite contact piece. I measured it all out and fabbed up a new one out of hard plastic. The reverse contacts are in the correct location to work when it is in reverse, instead of L1.

Today I put the condenser in and worked on the AC a bit. I had to modify the dryer bracket for the new dryer I got. It's a little bigger around and a little shorter. Still working on the electric, but so far everything that I hooked up works. .

I put a Turbo 400 in my 63 Catalina with stock floor shift, I just used a switch from a 65 or 66 big car that had floor shift. Its exactly the same except the switch parts are in the right position. Bolted right on.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:04 PM

Default Close by...

I think it just registered with me again that you are but 100 miles away from me (I live in Columbia and have a 1961 Bonneville Sport Coupe under restoration). Next time I visit the St. Louis area I might just look you up and pay a visit, if not just for the inspiration to get back to my project. I'm sure you have some good advise for the amateur, which I am .

Cheers!
Tom Kochtanek
in Columbia, MO

Old 10-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Hobby, I'll search for one....just in case.

Tom, I'll PM you.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Senior Chief

Well, looks you guys were right, friend or not, it takes paint guys a lot longer than they'll tell you. It's been three weeks and we just sprayed the primer Sunday. Good thing I'm not in a rush to get it back. I ordered the door panels from SMS, you're right again, their customer service SUCKS. I talked to them twice and got a different person both times. They act as if you are interupting them by asking questions and they talk to you like you should know everything about their business. I did get $50 off the price for the four panels, (still pricey). I asked them how long and they told me 'probably by spring' . I asked if he was kidding and he said 'uh, no'. So I guess around March I should be looking for them.

I heard this term several times, but don't know what it means: 'beltline', Is that part of some trim, area of trim, or what? Thanks.