Old 08-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Administrator

update: We have officially committed to printing a new Big Car catalog. In fact, we want to make it even easier for you so we are creating separate Grand Prix and 'except' Grand Prix catalogs. The GP catalog will be done for the holidays. The fullsize catalog will be done before the Spring. In the past, the fullsize line has been an extremely slow mover for us. And I'll be honest....fullsize owners tend to be much more cost conscious and descriminating. So in essence, it's more work, less volume and less profit. Add that to the fact that so little new products have been made for the big Pontiacs and you can see it is very difficult to commit a lot of time and resources. However, recently we have seen some new products become available and PY has some products we think are needed that we can make. (don't jack the topic into a 'what's needed' thread ) So we think the timing is right to inject some energy into the big Pontiac hobby. So we're getting the ball rolling. It's up to you guys to keep it rolling. There's no way for me to sugar coat it. That means we need to see some sales! You guys gotta start buying some of this stuff! Now I know you're going to say you'd buy this and you'd buy that if it was available. Well, that's good but new parts aren't going to get made unless existing parts sell first. That's the snowball effect. So you guys in this topic can be the messengers. Start spreading the word. This might be the last chance to get the snowball rolling. It won't ever be quite like other models like Impala or GTO, but it can be a lot better.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Well that's not a good sign. Two days and no comment. hmmmm?

Old 08-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Chris! I am a new "big car owner", and will be looking for parts. I downloaded the PDF copy, but a separate hard copy of the "except GP" stuff is welcomed.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 08-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Chris, This is great news. Pat

Old 08-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
Well that's not a good sign. Two days and no comment. hmmmm?
Specifically what part(s) of your post were you expecting comment on?

For me, the GP and Except GP separation seems odd. Also, '69+ GPs are not DarkSiders (as in B-body cars) and '62-'68 GPs are.

For example, if I am looking for weatherstripping for my '62 GP, will there be redundant listings (both in the GP and NON-GP) since that part is common to Catalina 2dr hardtop AND GP?

Unless I missed it in your post, specifically what year range will the proposed catalog cover?

...my $0.02. (it was expressed in a constructive tone)

Old 08-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say: save your $ on printing the different versions. As you observed, big car guys are discerning, so they can figure out what parts will work. That comes from struggling to find parts.

I personally can not figure out how to access the thing on-line, & I have built 2 cars & a house using dozens of vendor's on-line Cats. Every time I go to log on, it ends up looking like I have to make a phone call to figure out if PY has what I am looking for. Invariably that is at a time when there will be nobody at the other end of a phone unless I was calling China or India, which I have a thing against.

Hell, just photocopies stapled together are good enough! Keep it simple, & they will buy what you got, so you can make more.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 08-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Just ship me a Grand Prix Catalog when it's printed.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Senior Chief

Ditto.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 PM

I would take one ,in the prosses of doing a 72 j, if i printed the pdf catalog out i would catch hell for wasting ink. LOL

Old 08-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would also like the big car catalog, but don't see the point of a separate GP catalog. The few things that are different can be noted. It should save some on printing.
Les

Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac62 View Post
I would also like the big car catalog, but don't see the point of a separate GP catalog. The few things that are different can be noted. It should save some on printing.
Les
We're making a G body catalog and a B body catalog. The logic is that very few G body items interchange with B body. Both car owners get frustrated when they browse through a catalog, find what they want only to realise it doesn't fit their car.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 PM

In that case, you'd better send me one of each!

Mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up that makes sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
We're making a G body catalog and a B body catalog. The logic is that very few G body items interchange with B body. Both car owners get frustrated when they browse through a catalog, find what they want only to realise it doesn't fit their car.
OK, I get what you meant before...something like a '69-'87 (??) catalog for G and maybe '55-'76 on the B?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd like one--with lots of pictures. I often use them for reference.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
OK, I get what you meant before...something like a '69-'87 (??) catalog for G and maybe '55-'76 on the B?
Actually 69-77 but yes you get the idea.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question to all: are the '78-'87 GPs being represented (catalog-wise) anywhere?

FWIW, the reason I axe is because with the 16-30 year-olds who are getting into the hobby these days, that body style is the 'car that dad/grandpa had when I was young' type of thing (in much the same way a '62 Biscayne was for people my age) and it maybe a good way to keep younger people into wrenching.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Question to all: are the '78-'87 GPs being represented (catalog-wise) anywhere?

FWIW, the reason I axe is because with the 16-30 year-olds who are getting into the hobby these days, that body style is the 'car that dad/grandpa had when I was young' type of thing (in much the same way a '62 Biscayne was for people my age) and it maybe a good way to keep younger people into wrenching.
Your observations are valid. However, only the performance market has embraced these vehicles. We are not in a position to effect a lot of change with these cars at this time. Maybe if we get the early G bodies moving, we can put some R&D into the 3rd Gens.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 PM

Chirs, A few yrs ago someone was stamping floor pans for the 78-87 Cars, It might open the door if you at least sold weatherstrips and the pans?

MIke

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Chirs, A few yrs ago someone was stamping floor pans for the 78-87 Cars, It might open the door if you at least sold weatherstrips and the pans?

MIke
That kind of repro is a big help. Trunk floors too. If anybody knows of any 76-87 repro parts, we'll certainly add them to the catalog but we are basically starting from ground zero.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:25 PM

I think the catalogs are a great idea...(2 cents)...