Old 06-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's too bad. OPGI and Ames have nice catalogs, I figured to stay competitive with the P8 crowd, PY would fast track their print catalog...oh well.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, just that I understand this, the last one was released in June of 2002?? It is going to be 2012 in just a few days.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 12-21-2011, 10:29 PM

Please, if you want to sell parts a hard copy would be just what we need....

Old 12-21-2011, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
update: We have officially committed to printing a new Big Car catalog. In fact, we want to make it even easier for you so we are creating separate Grand Prix and 'except' Grand Prix catalogs. The GP catalog will be done for the holidays. The fullsize catalog will be done before the Spring. In the past, the fullsize line has been an extremely slow mover for us. And I'll be honest....fullsize owners tend to be much more cost conscious and descriminating. So in essence, it's more work, less volume and less profit. Add that to the fact that so little new products have been made for the big Pontiacs and you can see it is very difficult to commit a lot of time and resources. However, recently we have seen some new products become available and PY has some products we think are needed that we can make. (don't jack the topic into a 'what's needed' thread ) So we think the timing is right to inject some energy into the big Pontiac hobby. So we're getting the ball rolling. It's up to you guys to keep it rolling. There's no way for me to sugar coat it. That means we need to see some sales! You guys gotta start buying some of this stuff! Now I know you're going to say you'd buy this and you'd buy that if it was available. Well, that's good but new parts aren't going to get made unless existing parts sell first. That's the snowball effect. So you guys in this topic can be the messengers. Start spreading the word. This might be the last chance to get the snowball rolling. It won't ever be quite like other models like Impala or GTO, but it can be a lot better.
This was posted in August of 2009. So, are we just not buying enough parts? Personally I'd be willing to pay for a catalog to make it easier for me to buy parts.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like PY, so much so that when I was buying parts for my Lemans, I purchased them from PY. I love this forum. Lots of great info and people on here. I am putting together an order to go out at the first of the year for my Catalina.

So this is what I take from that post. Our sales are not that great on the big cars, so we are just not going to do anything to improve these sales. We will have a catalog that we will send out every 10 years or more and hope that helps our sales in this area. We will also tell our customers that they are cheapskates and hope that pushes them to buy more parts.

I have not gone through this thread, but I am sure there are some good comments here. Just had to rant a little. I am done.

We all get it, supply and demand. Not much of a demand, so not much supply. I think we have all become aware of this and hence the name the Darkside. It is nice/odd to see that there are people on this board that are working on developing parts and not the people selling them though. Was looking at http://pontiacparadise.com/shoptalk/...re-on-the-way/ and the battery trays are almost done and maybe that is the way it works. someone else develops the product and then PY, Ames and other sell them. I would have to think that there is a demand there. You can buy trunk pans, battery trays, frame mounts, gas tanks, exhaust down pipes, from other places that are also working on a quality qtr patch and floor extensions and many other items. There must be some demand. Repop a 65 rear tail panel and sell them for $1000 and I am sure by the end of the first year, you will have sold at least 20-30 of them. Granted, I have no clue what it takes to get these done or how much it would cost to do and maybe that is not enough for it to be worth it?

The market for parts and cars are down all over the place. I would think that you have gone as far as you are going to go with the GTO and the Firebird for the most part and that will not likely improve until the remainder of the hobby improves. Why not look at an area that has a lot of growth opportunity? There are more posts and views in the 62-66 big Pontiac forum than the first gen firebird, almost as many as the early GTO.

Ok now I am done. I do appreciate everything that you do for Pontiacs (big ones included) and as stated I am trying to put together an order soon for things that I need for the car. Just get frustrated when I can't find what I need and than see the neglect towards the Darksiders.

Merry Christmas to all

Last edited by Ccass; 12-22-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
This was posted in August of 2009. So, are we just not buying enough parts?
Unfortunately this is correct. The lack of product availability for the B-bodies has really stunted restorations with these cars. There is literally no sheet metal for any of the cars. Without Trunk floors and floor boards and Quarter panel skins, it's just cost prohibitive for most enthusiasts to put the money into these cars for the subsequent restored value. We're not in a financial position to bring these products to market. Those that are, have not seen anywhere near the volume required to make these projects profitable. So the B-body car stays in limbo as does our proposed catalog.

We did finish the G-body print catalog as promised and for those of you who have seen it, we did it right. We could put out some 2nd rate catalog but that's not the way we do things. The combination of resources involved, printing costs, existing sales and projected sales of B-body products has continually led us to a temporary postponement of the print catalog. We currently have a full online catalog for Fullsize parts. So it is not like we are ignoring the B-body owners. Yes, we would sell more if we had a print catalog. Yes, all you b-body owners would appreciate another print catalog besides Ames and now OPG but we just don't have the resources. I appologize for leading all of you on. Our intentions were honest at the time.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all

Chris

Old 12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Administrator

I like PY, so much so that when I was buying parts for my Lemans, I purchased them from PY. I love this forum. Lots of great info and people on here. I am putting together an order to go out at the first of the year for my Catalina.
very loyal of you to say that despite our lack of print catalog. Thanks!
So this is what I take from that post. Our sales are not that great on the big cars, so we are just not going to do anything to improve these sales. We will have a catalog that we will send out every 10 years or more and hope that helps our sales in this area. We will also tell our customers that they are cheapskates and hope that pushes them to buy more parts.
The comment was not directed at any individual. Collectively as a group, unfortunately this is the brutal truth. I appologize if you took it personally.

It is nice/odd to see that there are people on this board that are working on developing parts and not the people selling them though. Was looking at http://pontiacparadise.com/shoptalk/...re-on-the-way/ and the battery trays are almost done and maybe that is the way it works.
someone else develops the product and then PY, Ames and other sell them. I would have to think that there is a demand there. You can buy trunk pans, battery trays, frame mounts, gas tanks, exhaust down pipes, from other places that are also working on a quality qtr patch and floor extensions and many other items. There must be some demand.
These are the types of items that are needed to jump start the Big Pontiac hobby that nobody steps up and makes. There's a lot of talk but very little action. When there is action, a lot of times, the business model fails. Take for instance the Battery tray. Kudos for having the balls to make that tray. But how many owners are going to spend $79 on a battery tray that the rest of the hobby sells for $20. These types of projects don't normally succeed because the developer has no marketing avenues and doesn't build in a profit margin for dealers.
Repop a 65 rear tail panel and sell them for $1000 and I am sure by the end of the first year, you will have sold at least 20-30 of them. Granted, I have no clue what it takes to get these done or how much it would cost to do and maybe that is not enough for it to be worth it?
I agree that 'maybe' 30 owners would commit to paying $1000 for a nice tailpanel for this car. However, That still leaves a financial loss of somewhere in the neighborhood of $35,000 plus a years worth of investment, testing and approvals. And I can guarantee you that 70 owners would not pay $1000 for that piece in a 1 year period. Maybe ever. The way to confirm some of the interest level on some of these items is to start a 'group buy' topic on any one of these items. Make it clear that 1/2 the money would be collected up front via something like Paypal or CC. (reason is, everyone will say they want a part reproduced, but without committment, you don't have real numbers) Then monitor the results. If you guys get a hot one then we will absolutely pony up for the other 1/2 and do the work to bring it to market.
The market for parts and cars are down all over the place. I would think that you have gone as far as you are going to go with the GTO and the Firebird for the most part and that will not likely improve until the remainder of the hobby improves. Why not look at an area that has a lot of growth opportunity? There are more posts and views in the 62-66 big Pontiac forum than the first gen firebird, almost as many as the early GTO.
We said the same thing also for the past 10 years. See above comments on jump starting the big cars
Ok now I am done. I do appreciate everything that you do for Pontiacs (big ones included) and as stated I am trying to put together an order soon for things that I need for the car. Just get frustrated when I can't find what I need and than see the neglect towards the Darksiders.
Your passion for the B-bodies is clear and exemplary. If we could clone you many times over, the hobby would be flourishing!

Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the response. I did not take it personally at all, just needed to vent a little!

Old 12-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My battery tray is in great shape, but needed the top "H" clamp and J-bolts / nuts. I searched out and found a set reproduced for another car make that worked out nicely.

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Senior Chief

Paper all the way. I just give up with the online one.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 PM

Well I am new to this forum I want to help out by buying some parts I got a Ames catalog it is easier for me to have a paper catalog to read and use then online use. Being honest I am going to try order more things online through PY it would good reading material for the JOHNNY POT!!Old School all the way?

Old 08-13-2013, 08:12 PM

Please if possible try to get me a catalog I don't mind if I had to pay for it myself THE BIG CAR ONE! THANK'S

Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 PM

Default Hard copy

bump! bump! I need parts I'M OLD SCHOOL AMES MUST BE YOUR HELPFUL PONTIAC PAPER PARTS DEALER! JUST BEING HONEST!

Old 09-13-2013, 12:03 PM

The on-line is great, but doesn't contain as many products as the paper catalog of the other lines. The paper is great for reference, as well, since more detail of the part can be conveyed. I know it costs money, Chris, but we thought our opinion might matter, since we depend on your and your associates knowledge of what is correct when you offer a part. Great job on that and quality control!

Old 10-12-2013, 08:15 AM

ditto on all above

Old 11-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to David Brown

Sometimes I sit down in front of the TV and just browse the catalogs (not Performance Years), making need and want lists. I buy a lot more from AMES for that reason. I could accept not publishing one, but not updating the online version is unacceptable. I guess PY has lost interest with serving the B body market.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have been thinking about this for a while, I would offer up my time to you if it would help. Just something about being able to circle and mark pages like I did back when I was a kid and Christmas was on its way.

P.S. I buy from PY, Thank you for this forum and everything you guys do for the hobby.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Idea:

Some companies I buy from offer an on-line catalog that works like paper. It has pages you turn etc. CDNN Sports comes to mind. Might be an alternative that would work and not cost a mint to execute.

I am with the paper catalog folks, but it is really not practical in our corner of the hobby since sales #s are so small.

I buy a lot more from places where I can sort through and look at the items over time. This is especially true for big car guys b/c we have a hard time finding parts at all much less that are correct, and it really pays to be 100% sure before you buy. The times I have bought from PY I have never been able to get the catalog to work and have had to call on the phone to figure out if they have what I need. The problem with this is that the majority of the time I am able to shop is not during the hours when most things are open.

Hope this helps. I am also willing to sit down at the machine and walk through the issues I have had on-line in effort to help. I would always prefer to buy the repro stuff here if I could. I do not have very good luck with the other guys and will not buy there if I can possibly avoid it.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 05-10-2014, 05:04 PM

Talking 65 catalina 2+2

I just wish you guys and gals would publish a paper catalog!