Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 AM

pfilean, I am working on a 64 Catalina.thanks for the heads up on the holes. i did not notice any extra holes, but i will look. The problem with moving the crossmember forward (under the trans) without mods is that it pushes the trans upward to high. awhile back engine-ear posted a picutre that showed the problem. i may have to make some variation of his.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crossmember.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	266853  

Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 AM

a couple more details i ran into were the bolts for the flexplate to the crank and the shimming of the starter. since i am going from that thick (clutch, torque converter), what ever that thing was, to a much thinner flexplate, the stock bolts are too long by at least 1/8". I could not find any 1/2-20 x 1/2" bolts grade 8. So I added a lock washer to take up the differance. Is this OK to do? I have never seen split type lock washers used here only the thinner star type lock washers.

shimming the starter was much easier to understand without the trans in place and the use on my cell phone camera since i could not get my head into see the shims. I ended up with one washer on the inside bolt only. This is an engine that had never held a starter before since it used to be bolted to the slim jim. In my case i got lucky for having a pre drilled 1964 engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flexplate lock washers.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	266855   Click image for larger version

Name:	binding teeth.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	266860   Click image for larger version

Name:	guage for gap starter.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	266861   Click image for larger version

Name:	shims in the back.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	266862  

Old 12-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default different crossmember

Nice fab job above, but we sure went a different route.

We got a junker crossmember from a 1970 (or so) Olds. It had the double provisions for exhaust. We ended up using 1/4 inch plate steel plates, to extend the lenth of the junker Xmember. Bolted it all in and I had the local muff shop install duals. Because it was a th400 we went back to the Jyard and picked up a driveshaft from a 1977 Nova. Did a yoke and U-joint change.

Greg

Old 12-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Yeah, I better hit the junk yard. trying to build or modify everything is probably not the best way to go. that exhaust thing is really buggin me also.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PonCamino, not sure if I saw what I saw, but be sure that the screws holding in your starter are actual STARTER BOLTS (OK, screws). Also, I don't know why using split washers on the flexplate should create any additional risks...as long as they are torqued properly and to specification.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you head to the yard - look for a mid 70s Caprice. The crossmember on those has two big bends in it that will fit duals nicely. It has been used by a number of folks successfully (mounted upside down on a '63). Would probably be the same deal on a '64. I know a lot has been crushed in the last few years, but there were a lot of these made.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 12-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Engine Ear, thanks for the look, i am not sure what "starter bolts" are specifically, those are grade 5 or 8 and they just threaded into the existing holes. the instructions that came with the starter ( ouch, i gave myself away, I read the instructions) said not to use power tools an the bolts because of risk of breaking the case (hollow aluminum) so i do not know about the torque. I will take another look at that.

Deadhead, thanks for the lead on the crossmember. that is good information and will save a whole bunch of trial and error = time.

Received my speedo parts yesterday, I ordered them online from Mako transmission parts http://makcotransmissionparts.com/ they had the best prices and good service. they even have Slim Jim rebuild kits for $350.