Old 10-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Senior Chief

Bruce,
It's not so bad there is a entire section dedicated to the electrocruise in the service manual 6F. My electrocruise works fair because of the hair spring on the speedo that controls the speed, it does hunt allot, not like the later versions that used a true servo to maintain speed. My tripower mechanical linkage looks different than this car. I cannot verify that mine is correct, I will try to post pictures later in the week. Does anyone else have tripower and electrocruise so we can compare photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
Fixer (great handle by the way),

Thanks for posting those. I have never seen this combination either.

All I have to say is: can you all picture what this would have been like with the original vacuum secondaries and the electrocruise? I love the beaded chain. Only someone born with a golden horseshoe up their... could have been expected to troubleshoot that bad boy.

Can someone confirm if the mechanical linkage that is on the car from a 4 speed set-up or aftermarket? Just curious since I have one that was converted as well.

Keep us posted with Pics along the way. That Bonneville came out really nice.

Thanks.

C5 Corvette Roadster
Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Been a really long time since I've seen the cruse on a Tri-power. Everything looks correct. That's a giant bonus!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very interesting post this. I'll be closely following progress on the Electro-Cruise installation as I'd like to fit it to my '66GP.

Some years ago, I asked Peter Klabo (Ventures Unlimited - I bought my car from him), about purchasing a complete Cruise set up.

His advice was "Don't, they rarely work"!! He suggested I should question the fact that the sub-section in the workshop manual is 3 times the size as the air conditioning section. From what I understood, the achilles heel in the system is the underdash electronics. He told me the underhood parts usually work properly and well as long as the bellows are sound.

I've often wondered if I could adapt the electronics of a modern cruise system into my car but still use the factory dash control to maintain the authentic look??? Has anyone ever done this????

Ian

Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i have an extra control box if you want to try and convert to newer electronics. The one that mounts under the dash.

patrick

Old 10-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Chief

Patrick,

The control box under the dash has 2 relays and two transistors, not too much that can go wrong there. The problem as I stated is the hair spring on the speedo. This is a real problem, trying to keep speed constant via where the hair spring is in relationship to the speedo needle is, a real issue.
I will design a new "true servo speed control" and try to keep the original components as they are for show.. I would be interested in purchasing your spare control box.
I would use the housing to contain the new electronics..
Do you have electrocruise on your tripower?

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65WJ View Post
i have an extra control box if you want to try and convert to newer electronics. The one that mounts under the dash.

patrick

C5 Corvette Roadster
Old 10-25-2010, 05:31 PM

Okay, if we want to install this cruise control into a non cruise control car do we have to replace the entire speedo or can you add the cruise control parts to the existing speedo?

I have to do some dash disassembly to install the factory tach so we're already part way there.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Patrick, I do have a control box which came with the cruise set-up I bought off eBay however now that JOEG has described what's in it, I'm now not so sure I have the right part. As I recall from looking at it, mine seemed to have a bewildering lot of transistors and relay's inside it.

I'll have to get it out of storage and have another look at it

Can you post up a picture of what you have? In fact, I don't even know exactly WHERE under the dash this thing mounts????

If mine is wrong, I would also be interested in buying yours. Thanks

Ian

Quote:

patrick

Old 10-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Senior Chief

The control unit mounts on the passenger side of the brake pedal support bracket. The control box can be intimidating as both relays have multiple contacts that are soldered to the board. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the control box from Patrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
Thanks Patrick, I do have a control box which came with the cruise set-up I bought off eBay however now that JOEG has described what's in it, I'm now not so sure I have the right part. As I recall from looking at it, mine seemed to have a bewildering lot of transistors and relay's inside it.

I'll have to get it out of storage and have another look at it

Can you post up a picture of what you have? In fact, I don't even know exactly WHERE under the dash this thing mounts????

If mine is wrong, I would also be interested in buying yours. Thanks

Ian

C5 Corvette Roadster
Old 10-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Senior Chief

Not sure I can answer your question. If you intend to install a totally stock electrocruise into a non cruise car you would have to install the entire speedo assembly from an electrocruise. The speedo's are totally different, you can't hack it. I've had mine apart to see how it works and it is a real nightmare.
I have this vision in my head of a total redesign of the electrocruise. The intent would be that the speedo hair spring would not be used to close the servo loop as it is now. I would likely monitor drive shaft RPM's to do this. I would also change the existing servo modulator to a true servo modulator.. Looks like a winter project for me.. That said I'll keep you guys updated on my progress. If anyone has any input, desires, etc on this project please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Fixer View Post
Okay, if we want to install this cruise control into a non cruise control car do we have to replace the entire speedo or can you add the cruise control parts to the existing speedo?

I have to do some dash disassembly to install the factory tach so we're already part way there.

C5 Corvette Roadster
Old 10-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it was a rough day for me. 2 mri's took over 2hours. wiped me out. I am awake enough to let you know I will post pictures of the extra cruise unit i have tomorrow.

Ian I sent you a pm.

patrick

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM

So why couldn't you just use a cruise servo and the controls from a late 70's car? vacuum and electronics are pretty simple. you'd have the servo under the hood unless you sourced a really short cable for under the dash.

Simple system.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Chief

You are absolutely correct in every detail!! And yes there are so many ways that a existing cruise could be implemented. It's just me, I am totally anal about trying to give the appearance that everything is stock... Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
So why couldn't you just use a cruise servo and the controls from a late 70's car? vacuum and electronics are pretty simple. you'd have the servo under the hood unless you sourced a really short cable for under the dash.

Simple system.

C5 Corvette Roadster
Old 10-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default control unit pictures

Ian and Joe
here are the pictures of what I have. I do have the vacuum thing that mounts on the valve cover. Plus an NOS one. that is for my Bonneville.
If either of you think you could use these items to make something better out of them they are yours. Send me a pm. I had to buy the whole system just for the dang wire harness.
Ian let me know if this is what you were thinking of.
You guys are a great part of this forum and I alway appreciate your ideas and input.
Helping keep the hobby moving forward

patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07979.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	222386   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07980.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	222387   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07984.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	222388   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07986.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	222389  

Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Senior Chief

Yep that's the correct control module 2 relays and 2 transistors.
I sent you a PM..

Sometimes I come up with weird ideas, that's the engineer in me, always trying build a better mouse trap.

And Patrick, thanks for the kind words.

Joe

Quote:
Ian and Joe
here are the pictures of what I have. I do have the vacuum thing that mounts on the valve cover. Plus an NOS one. that is for my Bonneville.
If either of you think you could use these items to make something better out of them they are yours. Send me a pm. I had to buy the whole system just for the dang wire harness.
You guys are a great part of this forum and I alway appreciate your ideas and input.

patrick

C5 Corvette Roadster
Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Patrick, well that is indeed the same as the cruise underdash unit that I have. Joe makes it sound pretty simplistic. Me, it looks pretty darn complicated but I have to confess, I never could get my head around electronics.

I think after looking at this that if Joe can use it to try and make up a system which can incorporate a modern controller yet allow us to maintain a "factory" look, then it best be his.

PM sent.

And Patrick, thanks for the very generous words. In our own way, we all try and contribute to these discussions. Sometimes quite successfully and other times less so. I'm sure I fall into both those categories.

Ian in Oz

Quote:
Ian and Joe

patrick

Old 10-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wanted to share some shots of the project so far. The tach works and is generally in good shape. AC compressor is shot. The motor was rebuilt once but the oil appears to have been changed regularly and most if not all the major parts (except cam) will be reused when reassembled and no major machine work seems to be required, we got really lucky here I think. We will be adding the RARE 2.5 long branches. Also at the point at making the decision on cam and it has been narrowed down to Summit 2801 or COMP XE262. The rear end is undecided yet but leaning towards the 3.08 from the 4 donor car (the coupe is 2.56). Trans will be rebuilt with a mild shift kit. The ultimate question is there a good reason NOT to use the XE262?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF8213.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	222777   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8214.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	222778   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8215.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	222779   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8216.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	222780   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8217.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	222781  

Old 10-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF8234.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	222782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8241.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	222783   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8243.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	222784   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8244.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	222785   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8245.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	222786  

Old 10-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

some more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF8246.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	222795   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8247.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	222798   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8249.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	222799   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8250.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	222800   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8251.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	222801  

Old 10-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Last one for now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF8254.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	222802  

Old 10-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoreilly View Post
Wanted to share some shots of the project so far. The tach works and is generally in good shape. AC compressor is shot. The motor was rebuilt once but the oil appears to have been changed regularly and most if not all the major parts (except cam) will be reused when reassembled and no major machine work seems to be required, we got really lucky here I think. We will be adding the RARE 2.5 long branches. Also at the point at making the decision on cam and it has been narrowed down to Summit 2801 or COMP XE262. The rear end is undecided yet but leaning towards the 3.08 from the 4 donor car (the coupe is 2.56). Trans will be rebuilt with a mild shift kit. The ultimate question is there a good reason NOT to use the XE262?
Other relevant information would include that the heads are the 093's and that pistons are TRW 030 stock replacements with the stock CR of 10.75 (?). Not sure about doing any headwork beyond a valve job. The concern is with the XE262 is that I think the intake center line is 106 and the 068 grind is 113 (not sure if the 2801 is also at 113). Am I going to have increase in dynamic compression with the XE262 that is going to result in a detonation isse ?

Thanks in advance for the input