Old 10-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default motor running

Hi all,

We started the motor yesterday for the first time on the dyno.... I went with a Comp Cams Roller Cam XR276HR, but custom ground on a 112LSA with a 108 intake centerline. This smoothed out the idle and broadened the power band some.

Can't say I'm overwhelmed with the power - peak HP of about 386 and torque was about 450... but the torque curve is pretty broad so it should be a fun street motor.

Here's a video of one of the dyno runs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg4072F1uEs

p.s. - Those valve covers will be switched out for stock before install

Old 10-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

VERY COOL!

Thanks for posting the update!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Engine delivery day

Engine was delivered today and installed... still a bunch of things to do before we start it up......but its progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	judge engine install7.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	261608   Click image for larger version

Name:	judge engine install6.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	261610   Click image for larger version

Name:	judge engine install5.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	261611   Click image for larger version

Name:	judge engine install4.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	261612   Click image for larger version

Name:	judge engine install3b.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	261614  

Last edited by getmygoat; 10-30-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
Engine was delivered today and installed... still a bunch of things to do before we start it up......but its progress.
I love this thread. :-) Engine sounds awesome !

Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks... couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	judge engine install2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	261615   Click image for larger version

Name:	judge engine install1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	261616   Click image for larger version

Name:	with four tires.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	261617  

Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great! I bet you cant wait to go for a test run...

Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default First start in car!

Started the engine in the car this past weekend - thought I had the carburetor primed but apparently not - luckily its a roller cam so the cranking shouldn't have hurt it?

Had some valve train noise on start up - and I didn't have any instrumentation, as it looks like the dash has a grounding problem that prevented the temp and oil gauges from functioning. Will run it longer when I get alternate instrumentation.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4uSwVXu1j0

Last edited by getmygoat; 05-03-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just scrolled through this entire thread and although I usually feel like outcast on this forum,, Because I'm usually just asking for info to help me do the right thing with my car, And I always seem to get it. I think its a great very helpful asset to the old car hobby and a very well laid out forum.
I don't want to ruffle anyones feathers but I just want to comment on some things I feel strongly about.
First of all, Everything is always too expensive, probably my car included. I'm not sure why I think I'm the only one anymore that understands the value of a dollar as opposed to the value of a great rare old pontiac. Or any other old car. In my mind, and I'm not a wealthy person, You can wipe your butt with $34,000 dollars these days. Or you can go to the local dealership and and spend nearly that much just on taxes, delivery charges ,options, extended warranties, etc. and buy yourself a great smelling pc of crap that has been advertised to play off the cars that used to be great, and it will be worth 1/2 of what
you paid for it in an instant. It is simple human nature that makes us want to ,or have to try to do the best we can for ourselves. I think it should be considered that Any rare vintage muscle car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. History can be priceless because you can't go back.
As far as Ebay goes, Everyone knows its an avenue for dishonest people and can't be used as a guide for value. But we can't forget that it is a great place to find things we need and can't find elsewhere, And there are some honest people left in the world. I have bought and sold things on ebay and found that if you know how to read between the lines its a great thing, I have made friends all over the world. If something bids to a certain dollar on Ebay honestly,that determines the value of something just like BJ. because the value is what someone is willing to pay
I guess what I'm trying to say is the difference between $24,000 and $34.000 is not so much $10.000 but how much you want to be the lucky guy cleaning your old judge.
and sometimes the asking price for something can be determined simply by saying ,"how much $ would it take for me not to be sad watching this get towed away "? and thats OK.
Sorry, I had to get that off my chest LOL

Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh ,and congrats to,, get my goat,, Enjoy. and if when your all done and someone says you paid too much for it, you should tell them thats why your driving a vintage Judge and there not.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Started the engine in the car this past weekend - thought I had the carburetor primed but apparently not - luckily its a roller cam so the cranking shouldn't have hurt it?

Had some valve train noise on start up - and I didn't have any instrumentation, as it looks like the dash has a grounding problem that prevented the temp and oil gauges from functioning. Will run it longer when I get alternate instrumentation.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4uSwVXu1j0
AWESOME! Love that suprised look on your face when it lit off, followed by that satisfied smile of success. Also love that you had your whole family involved. Your son is going to love having that video one of these days when you let him drive that thing to the prom!

Congrats on getting it running.

BJ

Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Started the engine in the car this past weekend
That was great. That could have been my wife (with a little southern drawl added) saying that it is numbers matching. She gives me a hard time about that kind of thing. I definitely deserve it.

Love your little guy! I hope you can have some fun with the car now. You can put a towel down and the baby seat on top and off you go. I take my guys in the Firebird with their booster seats in the back.

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default battle scars from a life well lived

Thanks for all the well wishes guys... The car moved under its own power today - A couple hic-ups.. I didn't tighten a brake line so I had brake fluid everywhere.... also have an antifreeze leak (hopefully) at the rear passenger head (hoping its not a freeze plug). Those darn tower clamps.......

Took a few more pics - I washed it and used rubbing compound on the parts I hadn't gotten to while it was dirty and in storage....

I must say, while its full of dings, scratches, dents..... the car has character.

About 10 minutes after I parked it in this spot, a 4 year old boy walked by with his dad and said "That car is cool!" - Amazing how it transcends 40 years of a life well lived.. its still cool. Whatever it is they did in 1969 to make this car, they did it right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side view with hood up small.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	283739   Click image for larger version

Name:	view 2 small.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	283740   Click image for larger version

Name:	front end with hood open small.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	283741   Click image for larger version

Name:	from rear side small.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	283742  

Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That car is cool!

Congratulations on saving it and making sure it will still be around for another generation!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I totally agree...Great job of keeping it ORIGINAL and saving it!...Always loved it when I first saw it on TUGTOPS back in 2004 (and the fact the nurse was driving it everyday...Would be neat to have seen her going to work in it)...

Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard sargent View Post
Definitely a pattern built Judge 00076, with a zga id code.

But if you go to the Judge Registry there are 5 judges with lower sequenced vin codes this one is 128XXX.
I have been trying to research a judge i looked at recently....it is 00040 with a ZGA code delivered 2/26 in Michigan....can anyone help me out with info on this. It is carousel/black RAIII all there but rough has all the right stuff and under dash hood release, no judge on dash OD reads 15000, interior in stark contrast to exterior is pristine with no spring bulges. very interesting car.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Senior Chief

What is meant by pattern/zone built? Did certain plants only build the cars acertain way?

Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Goat View Post
What is meant by pattern/zone built? Did certain plants only build the cars acertain way?
The first 2000 Judges were built in CR and with with certain options...Here's a link with more info on them:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=pattern+judge

Rob Z