Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 65 Catalina 4spd Build

I wanted to have a place to document my build so I thought what better place than this. This is going to be a slow process and is going to take about 1.5 years from now to complete. I guess we will see when I look back I hope to have it ready for the 2014 POCI from what I hear is going to be in St Charles again???

The car is a 1965 Catalina Ventura HT, WE 389, FM 4spd. manual brakes, manual steering. HD cooling, VG 3.42 posi rear that was painted Nassau Blue from the factory with blue interior. Build sheet found above the gas tank, have not done PHS yet.

Original owner was from Albert lea MN and was purchased from a dealer in Albert lea. I have the previous owners info and plan to speak with him again about the car as things move on. The car has had a repaint in the early 80's and did have some rust repairs done. The Original owner purchase several parts for the car to complete the restoration on the car including some nice NOS stuff and some good fenders from AZ. The car has lived it's life in MN so road salt has taken it's toll. I did find a plaque in the car from his original car club from back in the 70's. They were the "Ramrods"

The plan at the time of purchase was simply to fix up the exterior and replace what was needed to drive the car, but as I got further into the car, the more things needed to be done up to and including a frame replacement. I ended up selling a lot of items that I was going to use for this car so that I could attempt to put a frame under it and give it what it needed. At the end of the day, this is likely to be what I consider a low budget frame off restoration.

Here is what I am talking about by low budget. What I am doing is fixing things that can be fixed and replacing things that I feel will be worth while in the end and that can fit in my budget. An example is I purchased a frame from a 66 that had the rear crossmember cut off and 2 pieces of the boxed portion cut off. I picked up the frame, rear housing, w/suspension, power steering brackets, pump and box for $150. I welded up the frame and was able to decide between my suspension items on the ones on the 66 chassis to make a good set. I sold the bare housing for $75 locally so I am into these parts for $75 plus labor to fix. I did measure the frame prior to purchase and it is in very nice condition overall. On the other hand, I did purchase an Addco front sway bar, a 70's full size rear sway bar and a Jeep GC gear box. So I guess I am looking for a functional restoration and not a perfect resto if that makes sense to any of you. Don't get me wrong, I am not going to slap this together, it will be done well, maybe not correct per the factory.

I am at the point where tear down is mostly completed and am going to start building back up. The frame was blasted and painted with PPG Epoxy Primer and with Valspar Low gloss implement paint. I thought the color looked great and at $10 a quart, the price was right on for me!!

Here are some photos of what an exploded car looks like in my garage. I will post some more photos and comments as things go on along with my plans for the build. The balance between Family, work, children and cars can be a challenge!!

Feel free to comment or ask questions as this is how I have learned and will continue to learn.

Thanks!
Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06282.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	297119   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06284.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	297120   Click image for larger version

Name:	`65 Pontiac 1.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	297121  

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you happen to know the name of the original owner? I bought my car from a guy in Rochester but I believe the original owner ordered it at a dealer in Albert Lea - his name was Vern Gunderson.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 AM

Looks familiar, wait until you get multiple explosions!

RE the '14 POCI meet, that won't be decided until the 13 BOD meeting.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Do you happen to know the name of the original owner? I bought my car from a guy in Rochester but I believe the original owner ordered it at a dealer in Albert Lea - his name was Vern Gunderson.
Kelley was the guys last name

Old 09-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Looks familiar, wait until you get multiple explosions!

RE the '14 POCI meet, that won't be decided until the 13 BOD meeting.

Mike
Yea, I have built shelves, put in a ladder in my attic of the garage so I can store items up there. bagged and tagged every nut and bolt and put them in labeled boxes. Done everything I can to try and keep it contained, but every time I go out to work on something, it just gets worse. Oh well.

I had heard rumors about the 2014, but sounds like it is not confirmed yet?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have the name of the original dealer, but the PHS documents for my car have the dealer zone and number - if you do get the PHS documents for your car I'd like to compare them, it would be neat if yours and mine came from the same place.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is one heckuva a project you have going. Congrats for having the cajones to tackle it. Please keep us posted with updates.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 AM

Looks like a great project. Looking forward to seeing progress. Best of luck with it.
Hugh.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post
That is one heckuva a project you have going. Congrats for having the cajones to tackle it. Please keep us posted with updates.

Jim
I agree, several times durring tear down I kept thinking that I should put it back together and sell it as is.......no turning back now!!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I don't have the name of the original dealer, but the PHS documents for my car have the dealer zone and number - if you do get the PHS documents for your car I'd like to compare them, it would be neat if yours and mine came from the same place.
Zone 15, Dealer 197.

I have no clue who the dealer was either. I will add that to the list of questions for the original owner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05088.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	297131  

Old 09-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Vern Gunderson.
Is this Vern on the right? His 1960 ventura has a SD engine and aluminum front bumper. I see him at the drive in's around Rochester from time to time. The motor is an SR block and as stated by him, the SD was only available as a dealer option in '60.

Couple more photos of his car also, very nice!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04852.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	297134   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04853.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	297135   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04854.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	297136   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04855.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	297137  

Old 09-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's interesting...I've never met the man, I just knew his name so I don't know what he looks like (or if he was even still around). I have heard about that 1960 Ventura from a friend of mine who lives in Pine Island, so it makes sense it could be the same person. I'm going to have to get back down that way one of these days and see if I can run into him at a show.

The story I've been told is Vern (whoever he is) had owned a 1959 Bonneville back in the day, and he special ordered the 1961 Bonneville I now own in the same paint color as the '59 (it's painted in 1959 colors, the trim tag under the hood is marked 'special' on the paint code line.) He supposedly did a lot of street racing with it in Albert Lea and then later on in Rochester.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is my first progress thread. The Frame was blasted and painted with epoxy primer and Valspar implement paint. You can see where I patched the frame at the forward boxed location and again on the rear crossmember. I reinforced the rear on the inside with a plate. The trans crossmember is from a 66 GTO so that I can run the standard head pipes. I purchased the dga10s new on ebay for $68 shipped along with new SXA10 x pipe with cut outs for $100 shipped. (again deals and budget in mind!!) It looks like I need to raise the trans mount a little. I will get measurements and such when that time comes.

Like it or not with the frame repairs, it will function great, look ok and for the price, it is right on!! I did spend $20 for a local welder/fab guy to bend me 3/16" steel to fit and I had to work it from that point to fit. I am no expert welder and could be a lot cleaner, but did v grove and got solid penetration on the steel and will hold up great.

By the way, this is my first attempt at any type of real restoration. I expect to make mistakes and to get feedback good and bad. The great thing is that this board has a lot of good info and I have a good friend that owns a body shop and does these restorations for assistance and advice. Especially when it comes to the blasting, body repairs and paint portion.

I by doing this thread that it will keep me motivated to work on the car and to keep moving forward!!!!

Next up... rear diff and rear susp.

Thanks
Brad
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06287.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	297143   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06288.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	297144   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06291.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	297145   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06290.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	297146  

Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63gpman View Post
Yea, I have built shelves, put in a ladder in my attic of the garage so I can store items up there. bagged and tagged every nut and bolt and put them in labeled boxes. Done everything I can to try and keep it contained, but every time I go out to work on something, it just gets worse. Oh well.

I had heard rumors about the 2014, but sounds like it is not confirmed yet?
That's what ALWAYS happens in a resto. The ONLY time it gets better is when you bolt the last peice on and call it done.

AT this Point ANY POCI CONVENTION date or location PAST DAYTON IN 13 is purely speculation,.

We try to only deal with the logisitics of one convention at a time. You'll just have to wait until the board meeting like everyone else.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure what I am going to do with all the room and shelves that I have in my garage when it is none. At this point I can't even come close to seeing that day!!

Yup, understood, that's why I said rumor.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=704047

Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Senior Chief

Very neat car. Best of luck with your project. I look forward to seeing it "live" in 2014.

1965 Catalina 2+2 421 Tri-Power, 4-speed, all original except paint -
AACA Grand National Sr. / POCI Champion - 13.71@104mph 1/4-mile
1958 Bonneville convertible - AACA / POCI survivor awards
1963 Catalina 2-door hardtop - 10.91@124mph 1/4-mile
1933 Pontiac 2-door Sedan street rod project (in progress)
1962 Corvette 327/340hp, all stock
1963 Studebaker Avanti
http://www.1965Pontiac2Plus2.com
http://www.Pontiac2plus2Registry.com
Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM

That welding looks ok to me!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63gpman View Post
I agree, several times durring tear down I kept thinking that I should put it back together and sell it as is.......no turning back now!!!!
Noooooo! You can't turn back!

Very cool project you have there, 63gpman. Listen, if you get discouraged, don't! Just come here and vent or ask questions or check out the stuff other guys are doing with their cars. Everyone here has done or will be going through the same thing you are, so when it gets hairy, take a deep breath and a break. The only timetable is yours and you can adjust it to suit your situation. From what I can see, you're in great shape. You've got a garage and the space to dig in. You can work day or night. Rain or shine, hot or cold. I don't have a garage, so when I started, my living room became the default garage. lol! Good thing I'm single, becasue no woman would put up with some of the things I did while playing resto-guy for a year.

It looks like you've got a decent car to start with and you're well on your way too. Glad you started this thread. You're in good hands here also. Can't tell you how many time the guys here have helped me out. I'm sure you'll have a lot of us looking in to watch your progress so be sure to post lots of pics. Can't get enough of that stuff! Looking good!

All the best!

Kevin

Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The garage looks good. I dig the beer can collection, and the Pam clock. I remodeled my garage this summer, and I've been tempted to display my beer can collection too.

Watch for before and after pics soon.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Empty shelves....never again Brad....you'll see!!!!

Neat project and nice work. I hope you kept the fenders though.

KV