Old 07-24-2015, 01:41 AM

Default 66 Pontiac 2+2 convertible

I have tested the wire leads on my convertible motor. I have no power there, I have looked at the fuse box and don't see any fuse for the convertible motor. In the Fisher book it shows that the convertible motor has a in line 25 Fuse and a relay my question is where is this fuse and relay located.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1087.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	403567  

Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Need to work your say back from the motor until you find power. It could be your dash switch. They tend to burn contacts. That is why we install relay to carry current and use dash switch to control relay.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to hijack thread, but the 62 Catalina I recently bought had a fuse block that looked much like yours. All kinds of intermittent and non-working circuits. Fuses all looked good. Took all fuses out, used a small wire brush on Dremel tool and really cleaned all the rusty fuse clips in the block. Small amount of di-electric grease on the fuse ends, and most of the electrical issues were fixed. Not saying this has anything to do directly with pump motor, but it is a high amperage circuit and poor connections may not provide enough amperage to run the circuit. With a voltmeter, you will see 12 volts, but the motor will not run. Too much voltage drop from source to load. Good luck, love 66 2+2's.

Looked up the circuit in the Chassis service manual. Looks like the circuit starts at the battery and branches off near the battery to a junction block and horn relay. Power to the horn relay, red wire, power to junction block, black wire. Then wired directly from junction block to top switch. from switch, up and down wires are dark green and red. Then to a switch connector. Wire colors change, Red becomes gray, dark green becomes purple. Then to motor connector. Another color change, Gray becomes green, purple becomes red. I don't see ANY circuit protection in this circuit. If that is the case, that is crazy and stupid. If you can verify no circuit protection, you need to add some for your own peace of mind. I can scan the wiring diagram if you need it. Let me know.

Last edited by mgarblik; 07-27-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:44 PM

Default 66 Pontiac 2+2 convertible

I have the same chasis book as you. You are so right, what confused me was the color changes that are in the line going back to the motor. I hooked a battery charger up direct to the motor and nothing happened. This means the motor is bad. I just ordered a relay from speedway will use it in the line. I thought I was reading it wrong however you said the same thing. It appears that the horn relay is part of the power for the top. after I get the motor in the mail I will try to wire it to see if there is power to the switch and install the relay. Thanks for clearing it up. Rodney

Old 07-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was down in my garage last night and remembered reading this post earlier in the day.

Had a look at the wiring on my '65 Parisienne Convertible and the pump motor (and the power windows & seat) main power supply runs from the battery to a circuit breaker mounted on the firewall down low near the engine bay side of the fuse block.

The wire (a heavy Orange coloured wire), then goes through the fuse block but where it goes after that, I don't know unless I start pulling back the carpet etc. I do recall however that at some time years past that circuit breaker failed and neither the power windows, the pump motor or the power front seat worked till I traced and replaced it. 40amp rings a bell but that might be wrong?

Now, I don't know for sure if this would be the same as the wiring used on an American built car. My car was built in Canada but why would it be different?

Point is, what I'm trying to say is that there is circuit protection in the form of a circuit breaker in my car. I don't think the pump runs through a fuse though.

Ian

Old 08-06-2015, 10:08 PM

Default horn relay

I am back on the top now and I can't seem to find the horn relay. I have the horns installed the horn button install as well. I see a small relay at the fire wall on the drivers side under the hood. looks like a small two prong relay but not the horn relay.