Old 08-08-2020, 08:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default HydroBoost Adaption/SteeringPump

Hey everyone. My brother just adapted a Hydroboost for his brakes to his 72 lemans and I'm really impressed.
I planned ahead so incase I change cams down the road I bought a unit from a pullApart. As I think ahead and realized I will be using a steering box that gives better ratio and may need a higher output (1000psi+) I'm trying to narrow down good priced options,and this has me thinking of using a WS6 (98-92) pump. I do admit a WS6 pump may pose pully issues,but that's part of doing mods! I'm just curious of suggestions and ideas/experience anyone may share. My brother still has a stock type pump and a stock type steering box as well. It's fascinating of the effectiveness going to the Hydro has done for him as he's tried various electric pumps which eventually failed. Hope to catch any info shared. Thanks-DeWayne

3sp&3:08/10 boltPosi-Pwr Windows-Pwr Antenna
Silvermist w/BlackVinyl Top

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/dracowizard/65/
Old 08-09-2020, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Start off using the pump you have. If you have an issue then worry about the pump. I put hydroboost in my car (2 gen F body) for under two hundred using all factory parts including hoses. Works perfect!

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-09-2020, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No special pump on mine either, I bought a Hydratech booster, didn't want to be messing with a used one.
Works fantastic, But be careful first time you step on the pedal, LOL. I went the vacuum pump route as well
was too noisy and had a vibration with it.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried the vacuum pump too. It was noisy and still really didn't provide enough vacuum. Just more sh** under my hood.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-09-2020, 03:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the input guys and I can relate to the difference of his brakes.....about had me kissing the windshield on roadtest and became necessary to regulate front/rear using the willwood valve. Also had to shorten the rod to pedal which allowed better pedal feel. Great change. I like how he took his stock pump and used a section of old brakeline brazed to the reservoir for the extra return line rather than installing a " T " which could lead to leaks. Again I really appreciate info shared as it's good. DeWayne

Old 08-11-2020, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine has the T in the return line, been that way for 4 years now, no issues with it. Other than a 3/8 return line T is 5/16 inside diameter so it
does restrict flow somewhat. My P/S housing id Chrome so not really wanting to weld anything to it, LOL.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:10 AM
Senior Chief

Many ways to do the return, this is how I did it and it works excellent and has a more stock appearance.
I disassembled my pump and fabricated another return line and silver soldered it in for the hydroboost to make it look more stock. I installed a new pump in the reservoir and using the pressure washers you can set the pressure at your desired level. Less than $50 for the whole project, just time and research.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2131[1].jpg
Views:	152
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	547019  

Last edited by Paul E; 08-12-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Paul your pump is much like my brother done his though both returns are on the back and somewhat shorter. I'll need to research the pressure as you mentioned. Maybe see how much above 800 psi can be adjusted in. I can understand his decision to bypass the "t" setup as sometimes the risk of leaking maynot show unless you're at a disadvantage to fix it.