Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-15-2020, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They aren't making any more of them, and it's unlikely that Dart is going to pop out heavy-duty replacements.
Clean the block, inspect carefully. Might be a simple repair.

But, yeah, grab the other engine, too. Might as well have a spare.

...and maybe consider fabricating a modern version of the block reinforcement plates from decades ago. Pontiac Straight-Eight blocks were known to sag in the middle, leading to crank problems when the main saddles got far enough out of alignment.

Old 08-15-2020, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably repairable, but can you ever have TOO many spares???

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Fill the cylinders with a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF and let it sit for a week, Probably the best chance to free the rings up on the pistons. Those pistons could be an alloy based on iron, so they will have a tendency to rust to the rings if it were stuck previously. It's only a little more time invested, and it may save the cost of an overhaul.

This is what I would try, but I always try to go to the easiest, and cheapest route before going full out on spending money that I could use elsewhere.

Any cylinder under 75-80 lbs is not pulling it's weight, and the one at 35 is virtually along for the ride.

You essentially make your own decision because you own it.
After soaking the cylinders how should I clean them before testing or starting the motor?

Old 08-15-2020, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
After soaking the cylinders how should I clean them before testing or starting the motor?
Just spin it over with the starter with all the plugs removed for a minute or so, it'll be messy but not as messy as changing engines. You might try some rags to to catch the expelled mixture. Just wipe it up before you start it.

It will smoke for a few minutes like crazy, then it will subside. After you fire it up let it warm up, and retest the compression to see if it had any effect, hopefully it will unstick the rings if that is the root problem.

Goodluck..............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-19-2020, 04:02 PM

Default carb problem on '39

I will offer to look at and fix (if possible) your carb for free. Have worked on a good number of old stuff with relatively good success. You can bring it to me in person and we'll look at it together. Hopefully you'll be able to take it back home with you.

PM me if interested and I'll give you my ph.# to call me and my address if you wish to pursue my offer.

Frank

Old 08-19-2020, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHummel View Post
I will offer to look at and fix (if possible) your carb for free. Have worked on a good number of old stuff with relatively good success. You can bring it to me in person and we'll look at it together. Hopefully you'll be able to take it back home with you.

PM me if interested and I'll give you my ph.# to call me and my address if you wish to pursue my offer.

Frank
I just went through Villa Rica yesterday on my way to the chrome shop in Dallas. I will be going back in about a month so I may just take you up on your offer. Do I need to get a rebuild kit?

Old 08-20-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
I just went through Villa Rica yesterday on my way to the chrome shop in Dallas. I will be going back in about a month so I may just take you up on your offer. Do I need to get a rebuild kit?
A new kit may be a good idea. You probably passed within 3 miles of me.
Let me know when you will be in the area again.

Frank

Old 08-27-2020, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I picked up the other motor Wednesday morning and did a compression test Wednesday evening. The lowest cylinder was number 1 and it had 120psi! The other 7 were between 125 and 130. I now have to do the test on the motor that is in my 50 to determine which car, the 39 0r the 50 gets this hot rod one!