Old 08-13-2020, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How to polarize a generator?

While reading up on my 39 Pontiac I saw several sites that said the generator needs to be polarized if it has sat for a long time. Well, mine sat for 50 years so how do you polarize one?

Old 08-13-2020, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The way I remember--from reading, not from doing--is to jump a couple of terminals on the voltage regulator. You're basically using battery current (electromagnet) to re-magnetize the iron of the generator. It has to have some residual magnetism to begin charging. Once it starts to charge, it self-magnetizes the generator. Leave the generator long enough, and there's no residual magnetism, and it won't begin charging.

I'll have to look that up in the Delco 1.2 manual.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:46 PM

Is the generator charging the battery at all? If the ammeter on the dash is anywhere on the positive side when the engine is running, and/or if voltage at the battery is greater than 6.5 volts or so (assuming it's still a 6 volt system) the generator is polarized already and you don't need to do anything.

If the ammeter shows a discharge instead when the engine is running, then it may need to be polarized. With the engine off, use a jumper wire to momentarily touch between the BAT terminal and the GEN or ARM material. You should see a little spark. That's all you have to do.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:10 AM
Senior Chief

When I replaced the voltage regulator the easiest way is to turn the headlights on to polarize the voltage.

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 08-14-2020, 01:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Look in the right hand column
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...5559mm334.html