Old 07-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Senior Chief

I hope Chad is still on the radar. It took me two years to find the right company to partner with on a product that I just came out with(non auto related). Don't give up. There is a partner to work with out there. I know sometimes you get burnt and have to take a break before returning.
Who have you talked to about this project?
PY?
Ames?
Current producers of similar wheels?

Another one I thought of is http://www.pgclassic.com
They are producing some very high quality reproduction parts in China. I know china has a bad name with some people, but I know that China can give you any quality level you demand. I have first hand experience. They only have a bad rep because we've demanded cheap cheap cheap in the past, so they give us what we want.
Anyway, pgclassic produces mostly Mopar parts, but they are the ones who produced the very high quality 64 gto taillight bezels and gas door and now a show quality console. These are some very expensive parts to make well, capital investment wise. Looks like they are in Canada right on the northern Maine border. I would try to talk to them.

What's it going to take to move this project forward? What help do you need?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

PY and Ames have expressed interest in being a retailer. PG obviously has a good connection in China. I don't think they would want to bother with it. I tried a place in China for the emblem and did not turn out good. All I really need is a durable mold. Or if someone wants to take the project and run with it I would sell the tooling and the wood model I made of the wheel (to make the mold from). The wood model is where the vast majority of time and money went into.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Demand for these '64 wheels will remain unknown until they are actually available--and pricing will be a major factor in determining demand. We all have seen used ones go for $1,500-$2,500 on eBay and have noted they are all less than perfect due to their age.

I and many others feel the '64 wheel is the nicest one Pontiac ever offered, but does that mean there is a market for the repro for use on later GTO's or big Pontiacs---or resto mod cars? There definitely would be some people using them for those applications. I believe its true that many '64 GTO owners are not aware that this wheel was offered on big Pontiacs as well as the GTO. My experience with tripower linkage sales & restoration, however, is that there are 10 GTO customers for every ONE big Pontiac Tripower.

Considering the fact that restoration of a standard steering wheel costs in the region of $800, if this wood wheel could be retailed for less than $1,000, demand may be higher than you would guess. I, for one, would use one on my wife's '64 GTO.

I hope you are able to make this project a reality. Good luck.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Boost Engineer

So the wood wheel could be ordered on any Big Car in 64, Dick?

Personally have only seen the wood wheel on a 64 2+2 Big Car.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen one on a '64 Grand Prix--always believed it could have been ordered on any '64 Pontiac or Tempest. I remember seeing the wood wheel in a big Pontiac advertising brochure.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64woodwheel View Post
PY and Ames have expressed interest in being a retailer. PG obviously has a good connection in China. I don't think they would want to bother with it. I tried a place in China for the emblem and did not turn out good. All I really need is a durable mold. Or if someone wants to take the project and run with it I would sell the tooling and the wood model I made of the wheel (to make the mold from). The wood model is where the vast majority of time and money went into.

After reading all your previous posts along with pictures of what you have done so far it's obvious that you are the one who should complete this project. You have spent a lot of time and money on this wheel and I can see that you are only interested in achieving the best (highest quality) result. Allowing someone else to take on this project only means that corners will be cut especially if it winds up being made in China. I hope you can finish this wheel yourself here in the U.S. and get it to market. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you do decide to finish the project, a little additional tooling could equate into some additional sales. From the looks of it, the optional wood wheel for '64 Rivieras is the same except for the center stainless steel section. To my knowledge, these aren't being reproduced either.

Riviera Wheel

It looks like the Chevy optional wood wheel is already being reproduced (shocker). Link below.

http://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1964/in...ories/C210184/

I can say with a fair amount of certainty these wheels are all constructed the same with different steel inserts. If you can find out who is making the Chevy reproduction, you may have an in for your Pontiac wheel (possibly Buick as well). You've already done the hard part, the people repoping the Chevy wheel could probably handle the production.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 07-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<<It looks like the Chevy optional wood wheel is already being reproduced (shocker).>>

WOW! $250

At that price, everyone who owns a '64-65 Pontiac or GTO (+ other years?)
Would likely buy one.

Semper Fi
Old 07-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA1John View Post
<<It looks like the Chevy optional wood wheel is already being reproduced (shocker).>>

WOW! $250

At that price, everyone who owns a '64-65 Pontiac or GTO (+ other years?)
Would likely buy one.
Yup. Additional tooling could expand the market to the Buick and Oldsmobile guys too.

1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 07-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless something has changed, the Chevy repop wheels are garbage and the Chevy guys will tell you so.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
Unless something has changed, the Chevy repop wheels are garbage and the Chevy guys will tell you so.
Even more reason to follow through on the project. He could offer a better product for more money. I'm sure Chebbie guys would jump on a better product.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any update on this topic?

469, M21, 3.42

Old 01-14-2014, 09:59 AM

Old 06-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

Updates? Anything?

Old 06-24-2014, 01:04 AM

I'm sure many big car guys would want one given the cost to rebuild a clear and color big car wheel.My 64 Prix has a nice original wheel,but most big cars don't.