Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-09-2019, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default The Grey Ghost rides again

https://www.facebook.com/sportscarvi...3MTU5MjQxMTA5/

Old 05-09-2019, 10:24 AM

Now THAT looks like fun. Thanks for sharing. I want more.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool. Glad you're back out

Old 05-09-2019, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Freaking awesome. Must be kinda scary putting your old muscle car at risk in those corners. All that work and time.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just so everyone knows, The Grey Ghost is that Grey 64 GTO in the video.

As far as risk, I built my Firebird to be raced, those around me did the same.
Car to car damage is rare, usually it's an off track excursion that causes damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VDCA2019-2222.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	511914  

Old 05-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Great footage! I was always a fan of the Titus/Godsall Trans Am...even if it was born a camaro. I believe this did have a 303 in it when this photo was taken.

I've never raced wheel to wheel, only time attack and HPDE style events, but when everyone is playing by the same rules, car contact rarely occurs.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want to see some cool cars and video check out the Australian Trans Am series.
https://www.facebook.com/AustralianTransAm/

The footage in the first post on this thread is from SVRA, they're a little difficult to run with.
In the Southeast we run with HSR and VDCA and we really need some new guys and fresh cars.
We'd like to build up our Southeast group similar to the Aussie guys.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
If you want to see some cool cars and video check out the Australian Trans Am series.
https://www.facebook.com/AustralianTransAm/

The footage in the first post on this thread is from SVRA, they're a little difficult to run with.
In the Southeast we run with HSR and VDCA and we really need some new guys and fresh cars.
We'd like to build up our Southeast group similar to the Aussie guys.
There's nothing at all like that out here. We have NASA Rocky Mountain for anything road racing and it's dominated by AI/CMC and spec classes.

There's a Shelby Cobra and a 69 Mustang that compete in AIX, but that's literally a 5 car field here and the extent of anything near vintage.

When I got out of doing HPDE and time trials with my modern cars, I started building my bird for TTU, but I've long since given up on that.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason,
I ran NASA for awhile but we couldn't sustain a Vintage Class and I didn't want to run AI-X against all the modern cars. NASA definitely isn't for Vintage cars.

We've got several tracks within driving distance so it works out in the SE. Road Atlanta, VIR, Roebling Road, Carolina Motorsports Park, Barber, and we've got several Vintage Sanctions to bounce between if you build the car right.
Vintage racing is sorta on a 6-8 week schedule with the Sanctions, most of us run 2 events in the Spring and 2-3 in the fall, or vice versa. Summer's usually too hot.
May not seem like much but these are two or three day events with 2+ hours of track time.

If you got a lot of money and travel time SVRA is the way to go. Otherwise it's best to find a regional Vintage series, like Rocky Mountain Vintage racing for your area, or some other similar group.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for posting the video. All those vintage Trans Am cars running again just looks like great fun. Looked like the 64 GTO was hanging right with the front runners.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That short clip just left me wanting a whole lot more. Any long video clips to see?

Old 05-11-2019, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Watched the Australian Trans Am link you provided. Beautiful cars for sure. No real mention of powerplants in any of the cars other than 5L limit and Trophy class which I assume is larger displacement. Any details of what they run for power in the cars? Thank you.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They run two groups I believe. 5 liter 302 and 5.7 350 based engines.
I think all the Pontiac's run Chevy engines.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to build some engines for a friend who ran an SCCA class called American Sedan. They were Fox body Mustangs and 3rd Gen. Camaros and Firebirds. A spec. class that allowed minimal "legal" modifications. It was really fun. My favorite local track was Mid-Ohio in Lexington, OH. That long course with the very long back straight really taxed the engines and the brakes. He did pretty well with the 305 Chevy. The cars just can't match the beauty, style and driving skills required to run the vintage Trans Am cars. They look and sound great.