Garage Sale Any NON-Pontiac related item you want to buy-sell-trade or giveaway!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Default Custom LED Lit Acrylic Signs

Over the past couple of weeks I've been experimenting on an art project with clear acrylic and LED lights that I'm pretty proud of. I'd now like to offer them to anyone who's interested.

These are clear acrylic sheets that I'll engrave with any logo you'd like. The logo engraved into the acrylic practically glows when low voltage and low heat LED lights are added to one edge of the acrylic.

There are 2 engraving techniques that I've been using so far. The sand blasted technique has a very even and finished look but doesn't glow as bright (See Pontiac Arrow, Flyers & Giants logos). The hand engraved technique glows in brighter colors but is less uniform and finished looking (See 1st & 2nd Gen Firebird Phoenix logos).

The LED lights are included and are available in several different colors: White (pictured on Pontiac Arrow), Red (also pictures on Pontiac Arrow), Purple (Plum), Blue, Green, Yellow (Orange), Pink and Warm White. The LEDs come in a black plastic strip that clips to the acrylic and include an 12V AC adapter on a 12' cord.

These signs look great in a garage, home bar or Mancave!!

A 12" x 9" custom engraved (sand blasted or hand engraved) acrylic sign plus a 12" LED light strip (in the color of your choice) is $70 + shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sign01.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	334534   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign02.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	334535   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign03.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	334536   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign04.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	334537   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign05.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	334538  

Old 08-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Administrator

So Far, I've only been doing 12" x 9" signs, but I can do larger or smaller signs upon request. Pricing will be adjusted accordingly.

Post or PM me with any questions.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sign06.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	334539   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign07.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	334540   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign08.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	334541   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign09.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	334542  

Old 08-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Also, any of the actual signs I've pictures in this thread are the signs I created while experimenting. I'm willing to part with any of these "experimental" sign in as-is condition (and with an LED strip in a color of your choosing) for $50 each + shipping.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sign10.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	334543   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign11.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	334544   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign12.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	334545   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign13.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	334546  

Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Cools stuff... How'd you handle the licensing for the logos?

Chris

Old 08-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool. Are these freestanding at this point or is there a way to mount or hang these?

Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinestes View Post
Cools stuff... How'd you handle the licensing for the logos?

Chris
I don't have license for any of these logos.
I figured that since I wasn't mass producing them, it wouldn't be much of a problem. Does anyone have experience with this type of situation? What kind of trouble would I be in if I were selling these with logos on them?

Steve

Old 08-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmanmitch View Post
Very cool. Are these freestanding at this point or is there a way to mount or hang these?
I'm holding them up by the cord in all of my pictures.

They would be easy to hang from the ceiling. You can put some small holes through the black plastic strip with the LEDs and put some string, cable or rings through it.

Or you could use some adhesive on the black LED strip to mount it to some kind of wall mount or a base so you can sit it on a desk or shelf.

Steve

Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_fan View Post
I figured that since I wasn't mass producing them, it wouldn't be much of a problem. Does anyone have experience with this type of situation? What kind of trouble would I be in if I were selling these with logos on them?

Steve

Technically, copying & selling somebody else's work w/o a license isn't legal. So you or I whipping something up & selling even 1 item with any artwork that you don't own isn't legal. Getting caught is another story. It's a big ocean, so if you're a little fish, you might get away with it forever, or for a while. If you get caught, you can be forced to cease, pay a fine, licensing fees, a portion of each sale, and legal fees.

Big companies have people whose job is to look for that kind of stuff. I bought a corporate logo package when I first got into the sign biz. It contained a Harley Davidson logo, and somehow they found out I had a copy of it, and I got a letter from HD's legal dept. saying, with threat of legal action, that I was not to use that logo for any purpose w/o a license from HD.

I'm in the sign business, and on occasion a customer's sign needs to have a trademarked logo. So my customer or I have to demonstrate to the trademark (logo) owner that their trademark will be used properly. Some have even required proof of the finished work. That can be a pain in the butt sometimes, and sometimes they just say "okay" and that's that. Generally, the bigger & more well known the company, the more they can & do protect their trademarks & logos and the like.

I've actually talked to GM about licensing some of their trademarks for some products, and they say that I have to go through their proper channels. And of course... now they know who & where I am.

But now that I'm thinking about it, I'll put talking to GM back on my to-do-soon list.

Anyhow, those lighted plaques look really neat! It's a good idea.

Chris

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisinestes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 07:00 AM

So these will plug into the house current and car lighter?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac1981 View Post
So these will plug into the house current and car lighter?
The LED strip comes with a 12V/0.5A AC adapter for house current. It has about 12' of cord with a quick connect in the middle.

You could get a car lighter adapter to connect to the quick connect if you want to run it in your car. I also think you could run it off of a 9Volt battery with the right connection.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sign14.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	334857   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign15.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	334858  

Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 AM
PY VIP

Send me a email to denniskirban@yahoo.com with your contact info as I got some ideas for you.

As for the GM license info the earlier post is correct it is illegal and depending on your exposure would determine if and when GM found out. I speak from first hand experience having run into issues with GM-Ford-BMW over a period of time.

To get GM license is quite costly and is volume controlled meaning you would have to attack the business as a full blown business to make it fly and be worthy to secure a license with GM. One reason embroidered logo shirts are so expensive....

I have a built in connection with another major company reason I like to talk to you plus I have some artwork we have that I like to get done possibly.

Plus you are near by to me.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis kirban View Post
To get GM license is quite costly and is volume controlled meaning you would have to attack the business as a full blown business to make it fly and be worthy to secure a license with GM. One reason embroidered logo shirts are so expensive....
Hi Dennis, I'll send you an email.
Yeah, I'm not really interested in making a full blown business out of this. It's really just an art project I figured out how to do and thought I would share it with others. At $70/ea, I'm really just covering the materials and my time.

So far all of the logos I've done have been ones that are probably copyrighted so I don't think I'll be able to sell any of them. I think maybe I'll just give them to my family and friends. Hopefully no-one is going to come after me for that. I'll still make signs for anyone who wants them, but I'm probably not going to be able to do any copyrighted stuff.

On another note, I got samples of all of the other colors (except pink) today. I plugged them into the signs I've already made and took a picture. Left to right/top to bottom: Purple (Plum), Yellow (Orange), White, Blue, Warm White, Green

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sign16.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	335100  

Old 09-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Administrator

I've had some questions about how to hang or mount these signs.
You can easily drill a few small holes in the black plastic trim piece that the LEDs are in and thread string or wire through them to hang it from the ceiling or some type of bracket.
Or you can do what I did in the pictures below and put the LED strip on the bottom of the acrylic. Then glue the LED strip to a piece of tile, granite or marble as a base. The tile I have pictured cost me $3 at Lowes.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sign17.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	336144   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign18.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	336145   Click image for larger version

Name:	sign19.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	336146  

Old 09-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, can you do one with a Tiger and GTO on it.... maybe even the year... 1966? I'd go for one like that with the sand blasted finish and orange lighting. Would look great in the garage.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_fan View Post

Steve
PY has a ton of experience in handling the License matters, and associated troubles for violations.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Steve, can you do one with a Tiger and GTO on it.... maybe even the year... 1966? I'd go for one like that with the sand blasted finish and orange lighting. Would look great in the garage.
What kind of tiger did you have in mind?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tony.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	336303  

Old 09-10-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
PY has a ton of experience in handling the License matters, and associated troubles for violations.
Maybe Steve can partner up with PY under their licensing agreements with GM to make and sell some of these. If he doesn't want to make a bunch of these, or can't make a bunch of these, I have the capability and desire to do them, if PY is interested.

Chris

Old 09-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With UPC-WU2's permission I was thinking of the one he has on is shirts. Found here in this thread of his on the 66 Wide Track T-shirts..... http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=735830

Tony the Tiger might be cool, but only on box of Frosted Flakes.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.