THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:07 PM

Default Old magazine pics

Hey All, So I'm in a situation where my wife and I are moving overseas and as heartbreaking as it is, I can't take the hundreds of Pontiac Enthusiast and High Performance Pontiac magazines with me. I've tried selling car magazines before and had zero success. Anyway, cutting to the chase, I've been leafing through every single issue of these now out-of-business magazines and there is naturally a wealth of historical pics and info contained within. My thought was that I would take random pics off of the pages of the cars that appealed to me and post them here so everyone could enjoy them. I won't post articles or written content, just pics of magazine photos and then people can comment or whatever. I've seen others do it on different forums, but I don't want any legal kickback and I'm definitely not profiting by doing this, if that's an issue, it's purely to share and stir good memories for Pontiac guy enjoyment. I'd post what I could before we have to move and then I'd be out of content. If I was to get a green light to do this here, then tell me also where to place them.

So please let me know if this is a good or bad idea or if this will bring trouble to my door. Thanks for your input!

Old 11-07-2020, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds good to me.
This Lobby thread should work fine.
Maybe give an overview of the cars if they have any details.
ex: -Documented 70 Judge Convertible RamIV 4spd original owner

Old 11-07-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Sounds good to me.
This Lobby thread should work fine.
Maybe give an overview of the cars if they have any details.
ex: -Documented 70 Judge Convertible RamIV 4spd original owner
Brilliant! I'll get on it starting tomorrow.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great Idea.
I post a monthly segment on our OHC Facebook page,
where I post old magazine articles with write-ups on the Overhead Cam cars and engines.
I call it FLASHBACK

Old 11-08-2020, 10:38 AM

I'd gladly pay postage for 67 GTO mags, especially convertibles.
Thanks
Jack

Old 11-08-2020, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried unsuccessfully to give away about 300 magazines on November 9, 2018 on this site. (http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...57#post5954157.) I still have them stacked in boxes in my den.

So, even if you do the picture posting thing, you are still left with what to do with the magazines. After you photo your favorite pictures, are you going to cut out the pics you like and take them with you overseas and trash the remains of the mags? I don't like the idea of cutting out pictures and discarding the rest of an article. Often, the spreadsheet photo of an article in the mags have other photos and details on the back of it. When you remove the photo page, you destroy the article.

Since you are doing a page by page review, why not make a list of the mags and the FEATURED car in each and offer them as giveaway items as sets, at least on a year-to-year basis? (The cost to mail boxes of 36 mags by U.S. Postal is less than $0.50 per mag.)

Otherwise, you can probably donate the mags for distribution to overseas members of military.

Old 11-08-2020, 02:29 PM

Thanks for all of the input guys, and some options I hadn't thought of. Just to clarify on my position though, we will be moving overseas in a few short months. I'm actually shocked at how the time is flying and we still have so much to do before leaving. Packing, sorting, selling, discarding, organizing, ... it's all a lot of work as I'm sure anyone who has done it knows. Part of the process is making hard choices on what goes and what gets tossed. Throwing out old car magazines that have been such an important and utterly enjoyable part of my life gives me no pleasure, but I have to be honest about the realities of the situation. i simply do not have the time to sort, contact, communicate, pack, mail, or chase any of the ideal outcomes I would like. I'm moving, the mags have got to go, and I just wanted to share a few pics I thought were neat with fellow enthusiasts. I hope everyone understands. BTW, in all the time I've been typing this expiration I could have been posting cool pics! Later Dudes!

Old 11-08-2020, 06:21 PM

As mentioned, it's going be be eclectic! I totally dig Rock Running's 66 Poncho, partly because of my liking for larger Pontiac's in racing, and partly because my Brother still has our Dad's 66 Parisienne. Being the owner of a 73 Grand Am I'm also a fan of the 73-77 A-bodies. The 73 GTO with a 455SD transplant would be amazing to have today. Wonder what happened to it. The 75 Experimental proposal car is interesting on every level. .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8265.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	553337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8268.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	553338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5085.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	553339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5086.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	553340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5087.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	553341  

Old 11-08-2020, 06:36 PM

The 54 woodie is just cool, period. The launch of that yellow 64 is just epic. Rock Running had so many great performing Pontiac's in the day. Really admire his history.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5088.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	553352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5089.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	553353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5090.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	553354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5091.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	553355   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5092.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	553356  

Old 11-08-2020, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That would be Jeff Raffe, not Roth

Old 11-09-2020, 02:10 PM

This stunning black 73 Grand Am is a combination of what should have been available.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5111.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	553477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5112.jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	553478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5113.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	553479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5114.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	553480  

Old 11-10-2020, 05:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you moving overseas permanently?? Even if its for a few years, is there no where you can store the mags for future enjoyment when you finally return?

Family? Close friends etc? Or are you disposing of everything you own there? Cars, Furniture, Real Estate etc?.

Where and why are you moving anyway? There are worse places in the world than Canada I'm sure

Ian

Old 11-10-2020, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X10 that pic of Raff's yellow 64 is awesome and he's a really cool and talented dude.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:25 AM
PY VIP

I have been telling people to donate their magazines and books to the Historic Vehicle Association in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Their archivist, Erin Prough, is a delightful young lady who processed my 15,000+ piece collection donation that I gave them when I moved to Florida in 2016. They are piecing together the largest automotive book, magazine and literature collection in the world and I believe that they are doing the best work out there. It is funded by Nicola Bulgari, the billionaire fashion designer. The collection is part of an impressive 17 acre automotive history lab, which encompasses over 150 vehicles, full restoration and upholstery shops, a driving track and a drive-in theatre. It's an amazing place and I am so proud to be a part of it. All donations are tax-deductible and if you want to make sure that your materials will be right there 200 years from now, that is the place to go.

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 11-10-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
Are you moving overseas permanently?? Even if its for a few years, is there no where you can store the mags for future enjoyment when you finally return?

Family? Close friends etc? Or are you disposing of everything you own there? Cars, Furniture, Real Estate etc?.

Where and why are you moving anyway? There are worse places in the world than Canada I'm sure

Ian
Hi Ian, Well speak of the devil, we're actually moving to Margaret River in WA. My wife is originally from Perth/Fremantle but moved to Canada 30+ years ago. We are both retired now and her offspring from previous marriage all moved back to Oz years ago and now grandkids are coming along. It's a huge move for me and to pull it off a lot of "unsettling" (for me), decisions are having to be made. This is one of the most stressful things I've ever undertaken, but I'm trying my best to keep myself composed as letting the scale of this adventure get the best of me helps nobody. I love British Columbia, and it will always be home in my heart, and without saying this out loud, I hope to come back in a few years to either live part time or have extended stays. It's all very fluid at this point and I'm just trying to mentally manage the current situation of packing and selling our current home, shipping the contents, and then building a new home in MR. I simply can't take hundreds of pounds of old magazines half way across the globe, and I'm not going to pay $$$ in storage for years so that maybe one day I might leaf through them again. An event like this in life, especially as this is happening in my 60's, really puts priorities front and centre, and it can be unsettling as you're forced to take measure of your time left and what really matters. But, ... I'm trying my hardest to look on the positives. We're moving to a beautiful place and will be surrounded by amazing, wonderful family. BTW, I've looked at trying to get my modified 73 Grand Am into the country and it looks impossible. The requirements and restrictions are beyond all reason in my opinion. If you have any hints on how to import my car in then I'm all ears. For now it is the one thing going into storage here. Cheers.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Keefe View Post
I have been telling people to donate their magazines and books to the Historic Vehicle Association in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Their archivist, Erin Prough, is a delightful young lady who processed my 15,000+ piece collection donation that I gave them when I moved to Florida in 2016. They are piecing together the largest automotive book, magazine and literature collection in the world and I believe that they are doing the best work out there. It is funded by Nicola Bulgari, the billionaire fashion designer. The collection is part of an impressive 17 acre automotive history lab, which encompasses over 150 vehicles, full restoration and upholstery shops, a driving track and a drive-in theatre. It's an amazing place and I am so proud to be a part of it. All donations are tax-deductible and if you want to make sure that your materials will be right there 200 years from now, that is the place to go.

This is exactly what I will do going forward. Good advice Don.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 11-10-2020, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I've never been to Margaret River (and only travelled a minimum in WA) but I've never heard of anyone who doesn't like it there. The Margaret River wineries are world class just for starters! Good on you for supporting your wife and grandkids by moving there.

I'm going to send you a PM which I hope will help you and your car issue. Frankly I will be astonished if you find it too difficult to bring it over. Think of it this way: If I was here in Oz and I wanted to ship my car to Canada, I would need to find out exactly how to go about it from the Canada side and I imagine that information would be difficult to obtain and process. Much the same as you being in Canada and wanting to find out exactly what you need to know to send it to Oz.

I'll find out some info after we talk
Cheers
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTGA View Post
Hi Ian, Well speak of the devil, we're actually moving to Margaret River in WA. My wife is originally from Perth/Fremantle but moved to Canada 30+ years ago. We are both retired now and her offspring from previous marriage all moved back to Oz years ago and now grandkids are coming along. It's a huge move for me and to pull it off a lot of "unsettling" (for me), decisions are having to be made. This is one of the most stressful things I've ever undertaken, but I'm trying my best to keep myself composed as letting the scale of this adventure get the best of me helps nobody. I love British Columbia, and it will always be home in my heart, and without saying this out loud, I hope to come back in a few years to either live part time or have extended stays. It's all very fluid at this point and I'm just trying to mentally manage the current situation of packing and selling our current home, shipping the contents, and then building a new home in MR. I simply can't take hundreds of pounds of old magazines half way across the globe, and I'm not going to pay $$$ in storage for years so that maybe one day I might leaf through them again. An event like this in life, especially as this is happening in my 60's, really puts priorities front and centre, and it can be unsettling as you're forced to take measure of your time left and what really matters. But, ... I'm trying my hardest to look on the positives. We're moving to a beautiful place and will be surrounded by amazing, wonderful family. BTW, I've looked at trying to get my modified 73 Grand Am into the country and it looks impossible. The requirements and restrictions are beyond all reason in my opinion. If you have any hints on how to import my car in then I'm all ears. For now it is the one thing going into storage here. Cheers.