Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If this is a column shift car, you will also need to slide the column shift lever assy. towards you so that the wire connector will fit through the gap between it and the column tube. It has been a while since I rebuilt one, but you may need to remove the column shift lever to do this. It is held in place by a roll pin that would need to be removed from the housing.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mr Wood Wheel thanks for the info.

Next question i have to ask.

What is the deal with the driver side door mirror being completly worthless. Is mine just mounted wrong or are all of them that way where you can see it to use it?

Old 06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The easiest way to do the '64 interior is with bucket seats because the GTO was a Lemans and the interior upholstery and door panels are all reproduced. I think I've been told that Legendary and/or others will reproduce the Tempest Custom interior for you but it will be very expensive as a custom job.

Here are a couple pix of a '64 Tempest Custom interior, well worn and not a convertible. The front seat in this Sports Coupe is identical to what your car had originally.

I believe the dark Aqua inserts in the rear seat might have been scaled smaller in the convertible in keeping with the narrower seat used. But the "look" is basically the same.

I'm pretty sure yours got the Aqua 2 tone same as this one. A big difference for the front door panels, the Lemans panels have the carpet along the bottom, the Tempest Custom panels are all vinyl (should see that in the pic).

The rear upper side panels I believe were slightly different for the Lemans and Tempest Custom convertibles, in addition the color choices were different.

Chad, there wasn't a good pic of it, but do you have any idea what the rear seat armrest panels might have been from? The lower armrest panel looks ribbed, pretty sure they were smooth in the Lemans and Tempest Custom?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	395445_214750963_Original.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	287552   Click image for larger version

Name:	395445_214750982_Original.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	287553  

Old 06-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely look to be in the wrong location and probably not an original '64 style mirror either.

The original driver side door mounted mirror was an option. It was installed maybe a foot rearward of where yours seems to be. Going by memory, the mirror would have lined up at about the leading vertical edge of the door window.

I'm guessing somebody mounted yours forward like that so they could access the attaching hardware without removing the inside door panel.

The passenger side mirror was not a factory option but they were available as a dealer accessory.

The remote driver side mirror option was mounted on the front fender (so even further forward) and we just discussed that mirror with you, I learned myself that it is pretty worthless as a mirror because of the location so far from your eyes.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but my own '64 GTO was built with neither outside rearview mirror.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post

Chad, there wasn't a good pic of it, but do you have any idea what the rear seat armrest panels might have been from? The lower armrest panel looks ribbed, pretty sure they were smooth in the Lemans and Tempest Custom?
Not sure what it is from. This is what it should be though.

Someone did a pretty nice job on this 64. But the bench seat should not have the trim pieces on the sides. It is probably from a Cutlass.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On the topic of mirrors:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...irror+template

Old 06-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got some pics to share.

It sounded like this was the original seat. Its pretty bad and stinks.

Here are the side mirrors.

This one is worthes, as you can't see out of it when your in the drivers seat.

The door panel look nice even if they are black. I would rather change it back to original if I keep the car.

This is sad. Upside is I have a old 80s two post sherwood radio that does fit because of the messed up metal and will be hidden behind the face plate.

Why was the left side knob hole depressed in when the right side looks to be flat?

The gauges really need some TLC. The wiring underneith looks terrible. I really like the remote antenna switch. I would like to make that operationa again.

Previous Owner was nice enough to give me a extra set of gauges.

Hope I can get the gas guage working soon. It really sucks not knowing that. Also got an extra gauge.

What is the center push piece for on the windsheild washer knob. I don't have any squirters but that would be my guess.

Didn't notice at first the top poped off the steering. Least I know how to get into it now. Not looking forward to that job.

This is the vent window that is missing the latch. PY has them for $28. Or is this broke and I will need a whole vent window?

Had no visors in the car. Previous Owner threw in a set that the wife is sewing up the edges on. Thats a savings of $80. They are black as well.

No seatbelts. At least he left the bolts. They are $9 each.

This one makes me sad. Can you see the bend?

This one makes me more sad. Still trying to come up with a plan to get it centered. I can see two triangulated brackets on both sides. I'm wondering if I could some how take two of the brackets off and somehow bend the remaining two into place. Don't see any damage underneith that would have caused this.

Who the hell puts orange heater hoses on a car. yuk! I see a wire I don't know what it goes to.

Not very pretty but it got me home.

The aluminum radiator is starting to grow on me. There is a seperate trans cooler in front of it.

Noticed he grounded the battery on the power steering bracket. I assume it goes to the head? Anyone?

Notice the big red wire in the back. Its a ground to the fender. Nice!

Grill paint is not holding up very well. Don't know what the previous owner used.

couldn't be more happy with the top. I just don't understand why people don't paint the top frames when they do that. Need to fix the driver side door latch too.

This is why I didn't walk away. Trunk, fenders, 1/4s are all solid. So I guess I paid for a shell with a nice top. Well I guess it did run good enough to get me home. 311 miles.

I would like to find the two pieces of trim along the bottom of the tail panel.

Was the rear 1/4 power antenna a rare item? I really like it. Finding a factory one seem about the same as finding hen's teeth. Did not find much of anything in the archives about universal power antenna's that have worked for others.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post

It sounded like this was the original seat. Its pretty bad and stinks.

You can get new foams for them. PUI makes seat covers in the Tempest pattern, not correct for Tempest Custom, but neither are Lemans.
That is the correct seat, it has just been recovered. I can see you have a delima on the upholstery if you want to keep it looking somewhat original. The Tempest pattern is available for the front seat but not the rear. And Lemans pattern is available for rear convertible seats but not a front bench. I am talking about premade sets from catalog places. Of course, if you took the seats to an upholstery shop, they could make covers that match, but not the original embossed vinyl of the Tempest Custom. Unless you went to a high end upholstery shop that can do custom vinyl embossing. Maybe there is another year that you can get a kit for that would have bench front and convert rear.

Quote:
Here are the side mirrors.

Aftermarket.

Quote:
Why was the left side knob hole depressed in when the right side looks to be flat?

Makes room for the special nut that tightens on the radio shaft is behind the tone control dial.

Quote:
Hope I can get the gas guage working soon. It really sucks not knowing that. Also got an extra gauge.

You might need a new sending unit in the gas tank. 64 only part.

Quote:
What is the center push piece for on the windsheild washer knob. I don't have any squirters but that would be my guess.

That is correct.

Quote:
This is the vent window that is missing the latch. PY has them for $28. Or is this broke and I will need a whole vent window?

There is also a wave spring and tiny roll pin that holds it on. I don't know if the repro come with that.

Quote:
No seatbelts. At least he left the bolts. They are $9 each.

You can get a decent set of lap belts for about $25 per set.
Look very similar to the original deluxe seat belts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retro-Belt-2..._Parts&vxp=mtr

Quote:
This one makes me sad. Can you see the bend?

Yes. Ogden Chrome in Utah advertised free shipping both ways at one time.

Quote:
This one makes me more sad. Still trying to come up with a plan to get it centered. I can see two triangulated brackets on both sides. I'm wondering if I could some how take two of the brackets off and somehow bend the remaining two into place. Don't see any damage underneith that would have caused this.
I have an extra set of bumper brackets if you think yours are bent.

Quote:
Not very pretty but it got me home.

Just take your time. Small details can make a big difference on overall appearance. Clean it up. correct the cobbling. Overall a good buy.

Quote:
Noticed he grounded the battery on the power steering bracket. I assume it goes to the head? Anyone?

There should be a head bolt (by #1 spark plug) that has a threaded stud sticking out the top of it for the battery cable to ground to.

Quote:
I would like to find the two pieces of trim along the bottom of the tail panel.

I think I have those too.

Quote:
Was the rear 1/4 power antenna a rare item? I really like it. Finding a factory one seem about the same as finding hen's teeth. Did not find much of anything in the archives about universal power antenna's that have worked for others.

Yes, pretty rare.

Last edited by 64woodwheel; 06-15-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess I should have looked first, The 64 Tempest pattern IS available for a convertible, but still would not be "correct". I have talked to PUI in the past about the Tempest kits. The part that should be "pembroke" cloth is actually some kind of vinyl make to simulate the look of the original cloth. Might be worth looking into, even though not correct, most people wouldn't know the difference. Kits are also available for 66 and 67 Tempest Custom convertibles. Any of these kits are WAY cheaper and easier that ordering special vinyl with embossing, waiting several months for it to show up, and then finding a shop to duplicate seat covers that they do not have a pattern for.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chad, I'm confused.

The Convertible was only available as a Tempest Custom, not Tempest.

The Tempest Custom upholstery was all vinyl.

So are they reproducing a Tempest cloth/vinyl interior for use in a Tempest Custom convertible? And the cloth is replaced by a vinyl material that looks like the original cloth?

If so, strange. Seems to me there may be more interest in the original Tempest Custom interiors, especially for a convertible.

rohrt, you didn't mention the clock in your extra instrument panel. I love the old Pontiac Rally Clocks. My GTO did not have the clock or tach option but I picked up a tach years ago and plan to use it. Still, I was torn because the '64 tach isn't much to write home about and I always thought that bold looking clock was way cool.

You are picking nits over your own car! There is a LOT to like about what you've bought.

For the interior, you might want to see if you can find a complete used Tempest Custom interior in your original color in decent shape. Don't know how easy to find, but if you can find a 2 dr. Sports Coupe being parted with your color (have you checked the Data Plate for the code yet?), you can rob most of the front interior stuff you'd need.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mr 64Woodwheel,

Thank you, Lots of good info.

Those seat belts look nice and pretty reasonable.

I'm really confused on what the factory interior originaly looked like. My two tone front bench looks to be dark aqua or blue and white. In the PY catalog I see 1964 Front bench but no listing for convertible and I assume they are different.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
So are they reproducing a Tempest cloth/vinyl interior for use in a Tempest Custom convertible? And the cloth is replaced by a vinyl material that looks like the original cloth?
Yes

Quote:
If so, strange. Seems to me there may be more interest in the original Tempest Custom interiors, especially for a convertible.
What is even stranger is this Tempest seat kit is offered in black (coupe and vert.) but not saddle (for coupes) ????

Safari wagons could be had with a silver/gunmetal interior, but the rear seat is entirely different than any other model.

Quote:

You are picking nits over your own car! There is a LOT to like about what you've bought.
X2

Last edited by 64woodwheel; 06-15-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Mr 64Woodwheel,
I'm really confused on what the factory interior originaly looked like. My two tone front bench looks to be dark aqua or blue and white. In the PY catalog I see 1964 Front bench but no listing for convertible and I assume they are different.
The picture of the ebay 64 Tempest Custom is accurate except for the chrome molding on the side of the seat back.

Check out this video I have on youtube. It goes over interior styling of the 64's pretty well. I put a link @ 1:30 where they start talking about the Tempest and Tempest Custom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Vml8hf5HM

Here are some still shots from the video

Check out the AC dash. This was clearly a pre production car. Missing the steering column trim piece and AC lap vent is missing the bezel. Looks like the deflector is a completely different size than what was used in production. Dash bezel is not painted dark blue/grey around instruments.

Last edited by 64woodwheel; 06-15-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Chad, I'm confused.

The Convertible was only available as a Tempest Custom, not Tempest.

The Tempest Custom upholstery was all vinyl.

rohrt, you didn't mention the clock in your extra instrument panel. I love the old Pontiac Rally Clocks. My GTO did not have the clock or tach option but I picked up a tach years ago and plan to use it. Still, I was torn because the '64 tach isn't much to write home about and I always thought that bold looking clock was way cool.

For the interior, you might want to see if you can find a complete used Tempest Custom interior in your original color in decent shape. Don't know how easy to find, but if you can find a 2 dr. Sports Coupe being parted with your color (have you checked the Data Plate for the code yet?), you can rob most of the front interior stuff you'd need.
That is the picture I forgot to take was of the Data Plate. I will post that up soon.

So I called ames. They do make the front split bench but not the rear seat for the convertible. They are going to send me some sample material of the front. They just said the color was a light and dark auqua. Must be like the pic posted above.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Ames catalog lists a kit for Tempest Custom convertible but the picture is of a Tempest pattern. I guess my catalog is not up to date and THEY are confused. I bet the sample you get will not be for a Tempest Custom, but rather a Tempest interior (with the simulated cloth).

Honestly I would just do a Tempest Custom interior for a 66 or 67 in blue or aqua if you must have the bench seat. But if the catalog that I am looking at is out of date, maybe the 66 and 67 TC vert kits are no longer available either. Otherwise a 64 Lemans interior, like John suggested, would look great too.

Last edited by 64woodwheel; 06-15-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Mr 64Woodwheel,

Thank you, Lots of good info.

Those seat belts look nice and pretty reasonable.

Look at the pix at post 83.

As Chad pointed out, your seat covers are probably aftermarket that don't match the original at all.

The ribs on your seat back are horizontal, the original ribbing is vertical.

The color combo on yours was not a '64 TC offering.

Chad, since Ames is calling it Light & Dark Aqua and it IS for a convertible, I'd bet the picture showing the Tempest pattern might be wrong & the actual product might be a very good repro of the Tempest Custom? If so, that will solve rohrt's problem altogether. I guess once he has the sample, we'll know for sure.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We'll see... BTW, the picture in the Ames and OPGI catalog is a photoshopped version of the 1964 Pontiac Colors-Interiors-Accessories photograph depicting the 64 Tempest (2027 and 2069) interior pattern. They mirrored it and then colored in a separation to make it look like a split bench. "Photo after installation" LOL!

Last edited by 64woodwheel; 06-15-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is one more post about upholstery. This is a "Detroit" book. If you want to call around looking for original vinyl, use the numbers here. That is how shops identify a particular color or pattern. The color representation here is not very good. They are not actual samples of material like the Colors-Interiors-Accessories catalog is.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess the heater hoses were orange.

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showc...lk07/64beige02

here is the body tag

2C = 3rd week in february?
BF = Fremont, CA
64-2167 = 64 Pontiac ???

Last edited by rohrt; 06-15-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64woodwheel View Post
We'll see... BTW, the picture in the Ames and OPGI catalog is a photoshopped version of the 1964 Pontiac Colors-Interiors-Accessories photograph depicting the 64 Tempest (2027 and 2069) interior pattern. They mirrored it and then colored in a separation to make it look like a split bench. "Photo after installation" LOL!

The picture in post 83 is most likely correct for my car. I was looking at another convertible last month with the same seat colors. Can anyone decode the trim style 209? And is there a code to show if the top color correct?

I can't say I really care for the dark aqua center part of the seat. I do like that cloth interior that your showing there. I would assume it wasn't an option for the convertible for obviouse reasons with a convertible and possible rain.

Finally found a good site to decode the body tag.

http://www.tpocr.com/pontiacbp4.html

Last edited by rohrt; 06-16-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: info found