OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default OHC Cammers

Other than the Yuku website, is there a place here at PY that cammers hangout at?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Feel free to post your pics here, I love em, and dream of putting one in a 2nd gen

Old 10-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Check the A-body and 67-69 Firebird sections. Most of the guys from the yuku are here, Camer Jeff, Jeff Hamlin, Cammer-6 to name a few. H.I.S. and I have been known to run in the cammer circle as well.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

YUKU's OHC pages are about it for full on OHC,
The POCI OHC chapter has/had a web site but not a lot of activity.

I say we start a section over here

Old 10-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff who?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
YUKU's OHC pages are about it for full on OHC,
The POCI OHC chapter has/had a web site but not a lot of activity.

I say we start a section over here
I am in for that. No offense to those that work on the Yuku site but it sucks especially when all of the old posts were lost. It sure would be nice to accumulate posts and data at an OHC Cammers forum here

Old 10-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater bill View Post
Check the A-body and 67-69 Firebird sections. Most of the guys from the yuku are here, Camer Jeff, Jeff Hamlin, Cammer-6 to name a few. H.I.S. and I have been known to run in the cammer circle as well.
A-Body hmmm? I have the faster F-Body version

Old 10-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Jeff who?
I vote for Jeff

Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd like to see a cammer section her as well. Took my Firebird to a cruise Saturday, people would just stare under the hood with that tilted head look. Going, Huh?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After owning one of the "rarest" and desirable OHC-6 Sprint Firebirds (69 4-speed, with best-possible-options), I've decided then, as is now, that I prefer to MODIFY my fun-car to my liking. Since I couldn't MODIFY the old bird, it got SOLD, rather than show-it and worry about condition.

Withstanding the personal preference on making my car (68 GTO) what I prefer to drive, I just didn't see the future of an OHC-6 in an A-body. So my SPARE OHC-6 engine assy also got sold.

The sum-total of my OHC-6 knowledge & advise is contained in this Post. Graft an electronic (breakerless-pointless) ignition (I use the HEI), retain/obtain the Q-JET intake, PORT the Intake Runners & try for Large Intake Valves, use 1-piece valves. Bottom-end SHOULD get lightweight modern slugs&pins. RE-use the Rods. And paint the Cam Cover letters any shade of Red.

Withstanding my Hobby-car preferences,...
the OHC-6 (with HEI grafted, and Q-JET) is a cool, quiet, efficient, High-Reving, Reliable engine, that WILL respond to the simplest of Intake Runner Porting.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
After owning one of the "rarest" and desirable OHC-6 Sprint Firebirds (69 4-speed, with best-possible-options), I've decided then, as is now, that I prefer to MODIFY my fun-car to my liking. Since I couldn't MODIFY the old bird, it got SOLD, rather than show-it and worry about condition.

Withstanding the personal preference on making my car (68 GTO) what I prefer to drive, I just didn't see the future of an OHC-6 in an A-body. So my SPARE OHC-6 engine assy also got sold.

The sum-total of my OHC-6 knowledge & advise is contained in this Post. Graft an electronic (breakerless-pointless) ignition (I use the HEI), retain/obtain the Q-JET intake, PORT the Intake Runners & try for Large Intake Valves, use 1-piece valves. Bottom-end SHOULD get lightweight modern slugs&pins. RE-use the Rods. And paint the Cam Cover letters any shade of Red.

the OHC-6 (with HEI grafted, and Q-JET) is a cool, quiet, efficient, High-Reving, Reliable engine, that WILL respond to the simplest of Intake Runner Porting.
Any pictures?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen a resurgence of sorts of original style restorations of inline 6 cars of all makes. Since most were base models with few options it's kind of neat seeing them restored instead of converted to V8's and hot rodded.
My OHC 68 Bird Convertible is a bone stock original, 1 bbl, 3 speed floor shift, drum brakes, manual steering. Only option is a power top.
I'll probably keep it original when I do restore it, thought about Sprint'in it, got most all the parts, but that monojet engine keeps it all original.

I've been asked to sell it numerous times by someone wanting to put a 400 or 455 4 speed in it. Probably would be worth more, but that's not the point.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
I'd like to see a cammer section her as well. Took my Firebird to a cruise Saturday, people would just stare under the hood with that tilted head look. Going, Huh?
I have said this before, when I am at a cruise-in or show, I get 3 types of comments:
1-what is that, it can't be stock.
2-Why doncha put in a V8.
3- Holy cow! I haven't seen one of those in 30+ years, they ran great. I used to beat up small block Fords all of the time when it was new.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure, I got a Framed Collage of photos. Hangs on the wall in the garage.

Typical Sprint Option: PS cooler. Never understood the need for the Power Steering Cooler. But I suppose some PS pumps get hot, but do all PS pumps get hot?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

So be truthful here,is SM taking good stewardship of it now?
As for the PS cooler it was all about high effort box and high revving motors.
Look at the gear ratio charts in service manual and youll see why.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sure, I got a Framed Collage of photos. Hangs on the wall in the garage.

Typical Sprint Option: PS cooler. Never understood the need for the Power Steering Cooler. But I suppose some PS pumps get hot, but do all PS pumps get hot?
My 69 FB Sprint Conv. is just the lowly three speed If you ever get a chance to show off the pictures scan them and post them.

IIRC there were just 14 4 speeds built that way in 69?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Senior Chief

You got my vote for a Cammers section!

Regarding the power steering cooler; Was that just for 69s? or did PMD do it the other years also? I have only seen a couple 69 Firebird Sprints with them. (My 67 Sprint is a manual)

Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 PM

Default my 67

My 67... Loved that car! bought it new. Wish I had it today

Old 10-17-2011, 11:02 PM

Default opps

try again
Couldn't locate pics I wanted but this it the car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1258990819_67%20Pontiac.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	260409  

Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
So be truthful here,is SM taking good stewardship of it now?
Stuck in storage since I sold it to SM in the late 80's early 90's. Probably drove it several times in the 90's. $1/day storage since then is about $7,665 dollars to have the tires melt into the cement. Not aware of any "stewardship in terms of maintenance other than applying leather softener & mice repellent.