Old 06-22-2014, 08:57 AM

Default Window Channel and "fuzzies" delema

Hey Guys:
My 67 post coupe is just about done but the inside and outside window sweeps of fuzzies as they are called are causing me all kinds of trouble. I bought the only kind of eight piece set from Ames and they just don't cut it. The ones for the doors only will fit if you put the rubber one on the inside and the felt one on the outside (even Ames says this is the opposite way they go). The ones that are on my old doors had felt on the inside and outside, no rubber. The kit in question is a PUI product BTW. The ones for the rear quarter glass just don't fit anywhere. None of the clips line up and they have no profile to match the curves of the body. Ames says just bend them and drill new holes. YA RIGHT!! Just what I want to do: start drilling new holes along the window lines through a fresh paint job. This is worse than trying to get new rear window run channel for my car (I'm going to check with Terry from an earlier post). HELP!!

Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you sure they sent you the correct ones for a post coup? If you can match up the original holes, then drill the new to match the old. I tried but it didn't work out too well so I had to drill new holes for the screws on my 66 HT. IIRC, I got my window sweeps from PY. They're the same as what you get from Ames or anyone else.

Rubber goes on the inside, felt on the outside. That's how the originals were for 66. They're not exact to the originals but they're all you can get. I've called to see if they could do a better job of making them, but I was told no... what you see is what you get. You can't see the staples in the original rubber sweeps, but they sure stick out like a sore thumb on the repos.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm pretty sure they meant for you to drill holes in the trim, not the car.
About half the repop parts that I've bought for these cars have issues... Unfortunately, that's one of those items you aren't likely to find as NOS.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 AM

Great!, Just what I did NOT want to hear, as I will be needing these parts next. And to hear that they come from PUI to boot just about frosts my balls! I have a horror story that I will relate to the forum about them, but first, I will wait until after I get my replacement seat covers IF I ever get them!.....

Old 06-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger13 View Post
but first, I will wait until after I get my replacement seat covers IF I ever get them!.....
You should have gotten your money back and gone with Legendary.

Greg, I tried the "drill hole in the trim" first.... but that didn't work at all. And you're right... not likely to be found as NOS.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 AM

I should have, but this was a driver, and cost was an issue, as I had limited funds at the time, very limited. But the vendor, (Ames) has not handled this situation well, zero follow up, I have had to call them several times to check on the where abouts of the replacements, finally after getting nowhere from them, I had to go right to PUI, where I was told, "yeah, we know your warranty claim, and it is on our list "to do list" it will be about 10 days before we can get them made up" This after being told by Ames the replacements would be shipped in about a week, and that was a couple months ago.
This conversation with PUI, was a couple weeks ago. Now take into consideration I bought these seat covers back in March and I am royally pissed off with both Ames, and PUI both
in their quality control of the original product, and customer service of both companies. Totally bull****. Both companies got paid, as far as I am concerned, and I have not got MY product! Well I did, a defective one, a black seat cover with a big white blob of plastic stuck to it that went right down to the underlying cloth that makes up the seat cover. And some bone head had the nerve to still sign the "proudly made with quality by ES" tag!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your first mistake was buying PUI seat covers!

PUI , Legendary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PUI 1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	367758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Legendary 1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	367759  

Old 06-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Senior Chief

Wow! Nice post Old Goat 67! It's hard to believe they're that different. I guess I know which ones I'll be buying.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:42 PM

Well, like I said, and I am sorry for, and dont mean to hijack the thread, but it was for just a plain low budget driver. And I was working with a very low budget to start with. But there is just no excuse for piss poor customer service, from either company. The flippant attitude is just what pisses me off worst of all, it may seem like not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, but that $1500 bucks I spent on that interior package WAS a lot of money to me. I looked at the legendary interior, and I did not like how puffy it looked, and I just could not afford the extra money. When I called then about the problem, it was like they could NOT be bothered, I mean they were just plain annoyed AT ME!
I am glad the owner of Ames could afford to go to that auction and buy that *****box pickup truck and put it in his collection and spend $100,000 plus for it, because it came from suckers like us where that money came from, but he dont seem to realize that! The bottom line is, these reproduction companies need to start to realize they need to treat their customers like customers. The sidewalk does NOT run through their front door.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As with Charles' post above.... Include Distinctive Industries [sold by OPG] with PUI. Both give you the same results. Crap.

Legendary is the only one that gives you an exact copy of the original seat covers from back when these cars were made. And that is an undisputed fact.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"