Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-18-2020, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone ever use studs to mount a muncie to an aluminum bellhousing?

Working on a project. I chased the threads on an aluminum bellhousing - seems okay. But I've had some strip out that I thought were good.

Was thinking I could just put some decent quality 1/2-13 (think thats correct) studs in, would help align the tranny and then washer/bolt on the stud. Maybe less chance of stripping the aluminum threads.

Bad idea? No stronger?

Old 07-18-2020, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used longer bolts ran in from the back side to make studs when threads were iffy.

Clay

Old 07-18-2020, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's apart now, maybe putting in some Helicoils or Time-Serts would be a good idea.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLou View Post
Working on a project. I chased the threads on an aluminum bellhousing - seems okay. But I've had some strip out that I thought were good.

Was thinking I could just put some decent quality 1/2-13 (think thats correct) studs in, would help align the tranny and then washer/bolt on the stud. Maybe less chance of stripping the aluminum threads.

Bad idea? No stronger?
Not a bad idea at all, IMO. I would verify the threads were sound and helicoil them if needed. I would not install bolts from the backside as they would be impossible to hold onto to keep from spinning after the bell is on the car and you're tightening up the trans.....unless they were Lok-Tited.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up cheap fix trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
I've used longer bolts ran in from the back side to make studs when threads were iffy.

Clay
I've done this trick of using longer bolts in from the back. I use lock washers and triple nuts so that I can use the outer two nuts as jam nuts for tightening and loosening the bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tranny bolt.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	545209  

Old 07-18-2020, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tap bolts are what you want. Search. ...
(1) 1/2-13x3 Grade 8 Tap Bolts 1/2 x 3 Hex Head Screws .50 x 3.00 Full Thread. On ebay

torque them from inside the bell housing install the trans using a hard flat washer under a grade 8 nylon lock nut ditch the gouging split lock washer that digs into the fragile ears