Old 08-20-2023, 03:26 PM

Question Looking for a car cover for my two 1956 Safari wagons

Greetings, all...

I just this week purchased two '56 Safari wagons. They're both project cars, but in nice, straight, fairly complete condition. Not having enough garage space, I'll need to store them both in the driveway for a time.

I'm amazed that neither Budge nor CoverCraft seem to have listing for tri-5 Safaris. For other manufacturers, the best I can find are 4-door wagons.

Can anyone recommend a good outdoor cover (and size)?

Thanks!

PS - Pics coming. I'm trying to schedule cross-country transport for the end of September.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 08-20-2023, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm guessing a car cover for a 1956 Chevy Nomad will very close to what you need, and is probably more likely to be listed on manufacturer's websites. You may want to call them and talk to an actual person, they may not have every possible pattern listed on their website. As for brand, I've had good luck with California Car Cover but they tend to more expensive than other brands.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:56 PM

Thanks, Stuart.

I did actually call Budge, as their site lists "1956 Pontiac Safari Van" (note the "van" reference). Indeed, their wagon sizes were either too long or too narrow.

I thought the Nomad was a couple (or a few) inches shorter than the Safari. Hmmm... I'll call Budge again tomorrow, and then CoverCraft and California Car Cover. Good suggestion about the Nomad, particularly if the difference is only a couple of inches.

Cheers

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 08-20-2023, 06:02 PM

If the cover is a true custom fit cover it may be tight considering the Nomad has a 115” wheelbase compared to the Safari at 122”.

Maybe they can sew up a 7” longer one using their Nomad patterns.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:12 PM

Hmmm... Good thought., though I would think that the overall length, width, and height of the vehicle would be more important than wheelbase or tread.

On the upside, Cover King seems to actually have one listed for the Safari. How it compares in quality to Budge or the others I do not know, but I'll phone tomorrow and see what I can learn. I won't have the cars delivered to me until the end of September, as I mentioned in my original post, but I'll do my best to remember to follow up here with results.

Thanks again, guys, for the input.

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 08-21-2023, 08:57 PM

Scratch that about Cover King; I misread the page on my phone. "Pattern not available for selected vehicle" for all of their covers. So, while they at least had the Star Chief Custom Safari listed in their initial vehicle dropdown, they don't seem to have any covers to fit (at least not on the website). I still need to phone, though, to be sure.

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 08-26-2023, 01:17 PM

On my 55 wagon, I bought a Armour all brand and is has been used outside for a year now. I have no complaints. It is water proof but breaths.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:47 AM

I recently bought a cover for my '57 Chieftain Safari 2 door from California Car Cover. It took about three weeks but it is a perfect fit. I have bought several covers from this company and have been pleased with them all. The elastic wears out after about ten years but that is my only complaint.

1983 Buick S&S Hearse, cheap transportation and parts hauler
1967 Buick GS 400 4speed
Old 09-10-2023, 10:02 PM

Yeah, it looks like California Car Cover is going to be the one. I also got a 15% off deal on anything/everything from them through Hagerty insurance this month, so that sweetens the pot.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll follow up when I finally take delivery of my cars (working with Gartho Logistics to arrange transport cross country).

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 10-25-2023, 11:38 PM

Quick (and final) follow-up, here.

I ordered a pair of covers from California Car Cover. In the interim, the cars finally arrived. The covers showed up a couple of weeks later.

They fit very well, and are extremely light. They are supposed to do an adequate job of keeping the cars dry underneath, which is a good thing, as not only do the liftgates on both leak terribly (one has been straightened - to some extent - and the other has yet to be touched), but both have windows which are cracked as well as not closing completely, and of course, both had manual antennas which were removed, so gaping holes in the front fenders.

We'll see how they go. I ordered locking cables for both, and with a recent order from Budge for a cover for my '95 Eldorado, I added a couple extra hold-down kits which I'll put to use on these, to ward against billowing.

Anyway, thanks to all for the great suggestions and feedback. we'll see how these covers do in the northeast this winter, as I get started on the first of the two projects.

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 01-18-2024, 12:42 PM

So far, so good with the covers from California Car Cover have been excellent. Great fit, light weight, no billowing (even with some moderate winds we've had in recent weeks), car stays dry underneath, and they seem to be handling this latest couple inches of snow really well.

Details, in case anyone is interested in what to order:

11429PG 1956 CHIEFTAIN:CUSTOM CVR
SUPERWEAVE GREY
Auto: 1956 PONTIAC
CHIEFTAIN
BASE WAGON WITHOUT MIRROR POCKETS
Material: SUPERWEAVE
Color: GREY

(Yes, the cover is sized for a Chieftain wagon. There is plenty of material for the cover to drape right over the mirror - or two, if you have a pair.)

Not cheap, but if I was looking for a discount, I would have picked up tarps from Home Depot. LOL

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE