Old 09-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Opinions wanted - Steering Wheel

I am really enjoying showing the GP and slowly I am addressing some of the items I "cheated" on when I was building it. I am entering it as a Concours - Day Two car in an upcoming show and would like to get a few things corrected before then, the next being the steering wheel. Right now I have a Grant wood wheel on there which I bought just to move the car in and out of the garage when I was building it. It looks ok, but not quite right to me. Also the spoke at the bottom digs into my hand a bit when I am cruising, just not a great wheel.

My thoughts are:

The car originally came with the custom black/clear wheel which I have, but which will have to be recast. I have all of the trim pieces for it and they look really nice so it would end up looking quite nice.

The other option is a repo wood wheel. Our host has one that looks pretty close to original, however I am not sure if it would stand up to a judge's review or not.

The cost is 3:1 in favor of the repo wood wheel

For those who are not into Points judging, I can respect that, and ask that you either ignore the thread or just give me your input on which you like better.

Thanks,
Harry

Old 09-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to David Brown

Personally, I like the wood wheel. It was the optional wheel. My 70 Bonne convert came with one and I like the look. Does anyone know how the repos from Ames compare to an original?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Another possibility......

Like you, I had considered spending the big $$ to have my original 68 steering wheel restored, but I am accustomed to the fatter rims on modern cars. I selected a Grant Signature wheel and Grant's Pontiac horn button based on comfort, looks, and price as the best steering wheel for our cross-country trips and around the "hood" .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0008.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	219926   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0025.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	219927   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0041.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	219928  

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the input guys.

Les, I still marvel at the difference in one year on the GPs. Your door panels are light years ahead of what is in mine.

Keep it coming everyone.
-H

Old 09-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi Harry, I also had a Grand with on my car. My car originally came with a deluxe steering wheel. I found one on ebay with no cracks. Car feels more like driving a boat now. The Grand had a better road feel, but I really like my new wheel!! It's like a piece of jewelry. Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GP16.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	219988   Click image for larger version

Name:	GP41.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	219990   Click image for larger version

Name:	GP47.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	219992   Click image for larger version

Name:	GP48.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	219993   Click image for larger version

Name:	GP49.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	219994  

Old 09-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Scott,

Yep those are the wheels I am dealing with. On the original one the plastic is faded and cracked in several spots, yours looks quite nice. The car just looks more "complete" with that stock wheel.

The really sad thing is that as a kid I must have pulled the stock wheel out of 1/2 a dozen of these big Ponchos and stuck little wheels in their place! Ah to be young and ignorant again, lol.

-H

ps: Love the manual trans Darksider, just way too cool.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:11 AM

Default Original wheel gets my vote

That original wheel is the best looking wheel around, plus people didn't change wheels much back in the day if your going for a day two look.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:31 AM

Coach--I am in a similar situation with my GP---my wheel is quite cracked up on the rim and hub----I think the trim may be holding it together more than the plastic! The optional wood wheels are nice in repro but I am sticking with the original. I have seen a couple take-offs at swaps that were as bad or worse than mine so i'll keep looking or save my $ for a recast.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
...The other option is a repo wood wheel. Our host has one that looks pretty close to original, however I am not sure if it would stand up to a judge's review or not....
Harry
Harry, I've not yet had the opportunity to take a close look at a repo CS wheel from PY. I suspect that they are using the same process used in recasting used original wheels to produce these reproductions. With this process the wheel rims look very close to original. I don't know how the spokes look on the repops though. I have seen some '67 wood wheels where the four spin-riveted heads on the back side of the spokes were ground flush with the surface of the spoke, but I'm not sure of these wheels's origin. The originals left the heads of the rivets untouched, because that is how the brushed panels on the front of each spoke was retained. If you ground the rivert head off, the panels could eventually work loose.

Most of the hub/horn components are now reproduced, so these parts would look good. As you probably know, I have a recast CS wheel in my '67 GTO and my brother has a recast CS wheel in his '67 GP. I've had the wheel in my Goat for about twenty years now and I am very pleased with the durability.

If you have questions about the quality, construction, or appearance of these reproduced CS wheels, get in contact with Chris C. He should be able to answer any of your questions.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Chief

No idea if this would fit, or even if its still available. Wood Buick sport wheel.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/1965825020.html

Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoric View Post
If you have questions about the quality, construction, or appearance of these reproduced CS wheels, get in contact with Chris C. He should be able to answer any of your questions.
Sorry to be dense, who is Chris C. ?

My understanding is the big difference is the repo wheels are welded and not riveted like the originals. That is the reason I have hesitated on them.

Thanks -H

Old 10-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrelic View Post
No idea if this would fit, or even if its still available. Wood Buick sport wheel.
I remember that wheel, very sharp, but not quite what I am looking for on this car.

Thanks, -H

Old 10-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be inclined to get an original woodwheel and get it recast if you can't find a mint one. The repros also have the wrong "look" to the spokes, too much gloss or polish, they look really nice but to a skilled judge they jump out at you as repo!

However I cant comment on what the point rules are. So maybe they know it's repo but they don't deduct anyway? Can't say

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 10-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Sorry to be dense, who is Chris C. ?

My understanding is the big difference is the repo wheels are welded and not riveted like the originals. That is the reason I have hesitated on them.

Thanks -H
Chris C is Chris Casperson, the head of PY.

When I was at Steve Ames place last April, I saw an NOS 67-68 black/clear wheel upstairs. He may be interested in selling it, but it will NOT be cheap.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If a reproduction part can be identified as a repop just because it is not identical in appearance to an original or N.O.S. part, that tells me it is not a full-points replacement for an perfect original piece, OEM or NOS. Reproduction 1967 hood tachs (at least all of the examples I've seen) are a good example of a repop that is not the same in appearance to the original. Even if the repop tach is in perfect condition, it should not receive full points in concours competition.

Full points should be awarded to a reproduction part that is indistinguishable from an excellent OEM or NOS part. A "slightly off" repop should never receive full points, because that would punish another owner who went to the extra effort to either restore an original part back to "as new" or locate and acquire an expensive NOS part. But, even NOS parts would be judged on condition and finish.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoric View Post

Full points should be awarded to a reproduction part that is indistinguishable from an excellent OEM or NOS part. A "slightly off" repop should never receive full points, because that would punish another owner who went to the extra effort to either restore an original part back to "as new" or locate and acquire an expensive NOS part. But, even NOS parts would be judged on condition and finish.
And that would make sense to me as well. This brings me back to finding an original in excellent condition or having mine recast.

Thanks, -H

Old 10-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would send the original out and have it redone. I am not a fan of repop stuff myself.... especially something like a steering wheel..... you will always be looking at it and you will probably be able to feel the difference too. Spend the $$$$... you will be happier in the long run.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 10-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The recast wheels do not look correct to me (and others) as they do not tint the clear.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i loved the cars that had the speeding indicator on them,ive often wondered why newer cars never used that idea

Old 10-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
i loved the cars that had the speeding indicator on them,ive often wondered why newer cars never used that idea
I remember that feature, I think the one I saw was on a full size Pontiac with the optional gage package.