Old 02-10-2016, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO Kenny View Post
He'd rather drive a car that mostly looks like a 70 TA rather than a 76 formula.
I can't blame him.
I'd rather drive any of them rather than a Honda or similar heartless cookie cutter, metrosexual, neutered excuse for a car. Now that's what I'd be embarrassed to show up at a car show with.
/\ /\ that better not be a jab at my SSlowbalt

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
/\ /\ that better not be a jab at my SSlowbalt
I'm ok with steet leagal turbocharged go carts. It would be a lot better if the tires would spin on the correct end.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO Kenny View Post
I'm ok with steet legal turbocharged go carts. It would be a lot better if the tires would spin on the correct end.
I couldn't agree more.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-10-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
not me.

I'd just get rid of the tacky/cheap stripe job, and decal it up with a blue bird, and corresponding "Trans Am" script decals.

I get that people prefer the bumperless look that the 70-73's have, but like I said earlier, it looks like the guy who did it cheaped out at the last minute;
To that effect, I think it would have ended up looking nicer with NO stripes or decals, than the way it was done.
This makes sense. The halfway done decals are a glaring mark on an otherwise visually appealing car. I also think it would look better with proper stripes or a bird.

I can't go as far as some of the other folks here though. You guys are the creme-de-la-creme of the enthusiast world, most people out there just never reach that level, nor care to. As someone who has yearned after a 70-73 for years, and is finally able to afford one only by doing nearly 100% of the restoration work myself, I can see how the early cars appeal to enthusiasts who will never be able to afford them.

How many of you got into these cars when you were a bit younger before the Barrett Jackson and rotisserie restoration craze, when you could get a NICE well optioned car for 4-6k? Would you be willing to go back to the same point in your life and spend 20-30k on the same car? The ridiculously elevated price of this hobby in the last decade is making it near impossible for the average enthusiast to get their foot into the door with anything respectable (without going into massive amounts of debt at least). The more astronomical the prices go, the more clones we see. I don't see that trend reversing anytime soon.

I think most of your Chebby, Ford, MOPAR, Olds, and Buick guys at a show or cruise-in wouldn't even notice the difference on this car, at least at first glance. That being said, the owner probably achieved what he was looking for at a discount price. I'm sure he wouldn't be happier driving around a rusty V6 Espirit. I certainly wouldn't.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:17 AM
Senior Chief

I love my chrome rear bumper but think the 76-78 rear bumper matches well with the 70-73 nose. I would have painted the car Lucy blue with the right decal stripes, made the shaker correct and put a Pontiac color on the motor. As others have said that car can be driven like you stole it.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
Some people are pragmatists. I have a friend who was an original owner of a 70 TA. He sold it in the 90s because it only had 8k miles and was afraid to drive it. I should rephrase that; he was afraid to enjoy it. So he built a car nearly identical to the eBay ad. I think it was a 75 4spd car. Built a 455, added a 70 nose, white paint and blue stripe. He was not afraid to drive it or park it anywhere. Sounds kind of liberating!
This sounds like me!! My numbers cars sat, while the drivers got the "key turned"
The car here,in this thread, I just dislike the damn MSD box.. there are so many now, that someday people will think they are stock and cant run without the multiple sparks! LOL
I would drive a late 70's with a 72 nose, No problems, and have fun !!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yesterday I drove my 400 4speed car to work. Today I drove my 69 Trans Am to work, and tomorrow I will probably drive my 72 Trans Am. I can see worrying about driving a rare car, but I would sell them before I let fear park them. I beat on my cars, that's what Pontiac built them for. I would own that car, without the engine paint,MSD box, and air filter. But I would have the right stripes on it.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To me, best candidate for a nose swap to 70-73 is a 74, next a 75. The rear back pan is still curved in at bottom for a rounded look from side. The jutting out 76 and up design to me looks funny with early nose. But if it puts a grin on your face, really it is what you like.