THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

It would be interesting to see if she is ever a major business owner that she would sponsor a cup car with a female driver to advertise her own wares. I doubt that day will ever come, too little return on the investment for Danica.
Apparently it's too little return for a lot of sponsors anymore.

I agree with Tom, there needs to be some serious money cut out.
When 3-4 teams field or support the majority of the field, it's not longer individual racing, it's corporate.
But NASCAR has also got to drop the crazy antics and get back to just racing, limit teams to two cars and get rid of the franchise BS.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where is the criticism of the dozens of the "middle of the pack" also-ran male drivers in Nascar's venues??

I think that most of the criticism of Patrick is just male chauvinism, plain and simple!

I'm no particular fan of Patrick, nor am I interested in Nascar enough to keep stats. However, I would like to see an accounting of how many times Patrick was taken out of a race because someone else caused a wreck that she got caught up in. Likewise, I would like to see a review of how many times she successfully drove through wrecks because of her innate driving ability.

Do any of us really think that Jeffrey Earnhart will ever win a top venue Nascar race?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sponsorship is indeed expensive on the top of the heap, don't know that more rules and tighter enforcement are going to bring down the costs either though.

NASCAR is doing everything they can to keep a level playing field, IMO it's a huge expenditure of manpower along with money to keep all the competitors even on the equipment. It does however make for tighter competition, no one wins by 7 laps over second place any longer either.

Watching a NASCAR event is an investment that younger people seem to grow tired of quickly. I was just reading where most younger people no longer have an attention span long enough to read more than a few paragraphs at a time let alone sit and read a newspaper. Trying to keep a race interesting enough by having close competition is why it's paramount to keep the competition even for new customers. If this is the vision for the future not only racing, other sports that require an investment in time and attention will all suffer too.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't noticed sense they went to the latest points system, watched 1 race with the new format, hated the 3 race within a race format so much haven't been back, so I really have not noticed how well or bad any driver has done, sad really.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 09-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Where is the criticism of the dozens of the "middle of the pack" also-ran male drivers in Nascar's venues??
Middle of the pack male drivers don't have the resources spent on them with so little to show for the sponsor and team investment, plain and simple.

Quote:
I think that most of the criticism of Patrick is just male chauvinism, plain and simple!
Your entitled to your opinion, I can't speak for all people posting on this topic, however I have raced with female drivers on a dirt track. I also employed one of the very few PA licensed female state inspection mechanics at my own garage. On these forums I have repeatedly stood up for a female sprint car driver, Paige Polyak that has great talent in 360/410 sprint cars. To call me a male chauvinist is a stretch.

Quote:
I'm no particular fan of Patrick, nor am I interested in Nascar enough to keep stats. However, I would like to see an accounting of how many times Patrick was taken out of a race because someone else caused a wreck that she got caught up in. Likewise, I would like to see a review of how many times she successfully drove through wrecks because of her innate driving ability.
Her driving ability was showcased repeatedly when they showed her releasing her grip on the wheel during an accident. I realize that's a self preservation action, maybe not the best though in avoiding an ensuing collision. There have been plenty of wrecks other people got caught up in, IMO DP is more often than not the cause of the wreck (over 50% of the time) she is the cause of her being involved in an accident.

Quote:
Do any of us really think that Jeffrey Earnhart will ever win a top venue Nascar race?
Just because your last name is the same as a famous race car driver has no bearing on your own success, It's been proven over and over in all forms of racing..........

1984 Grand Prix

Old 09-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Saw this a little while ago:

Quote:
Only Jimmie Johnson (Lowe’s) and Paul Menard (Menards) have the same primary sponsor for every race this year.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Her driving ability was showcased repeatedly when they showed her releasing her grip on the wheel during an accident. I realize that's a self preservation action, maybe not the best though in avoiding an ensuing collision.
I think that's a case of muscle memory, I've heard the commentators remark about it in the past. Taking your hands off the wheel in a wreck is how they do it in Indycar, to avoid injury to their hands and arms.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once a direct collision is imminent, holding onto the wheel only increases the risk of injury. If the wheels get hit hard, your hands are not going to hold them in place.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
Once a direct collision is imminent, holding onto the wheel only increases the risk of injury. If the wheels get hit hard, your hands are not going to hold them in place.
Quote:
Her driving ability was showcased repeatedly when they showed her releasing her grip on the wheel during an accident. I realize that's a self preservation action, maybe not the best though in avoiding an ensuing collision.
I think I covered that already.

Then at what point does the driver decide that if I hadn't let go of the steering wheel I might of had a better chance of saving the car? Sorry, my experience is I don't let go of the steering wheel. I figure I've wheeled enough dirt cars enough times around a track, been involved in a few wrecks and never let go of the wheel until the car stopped, or I regained control of it. Her abilities never have impressed me as someone that has better than average car control, or instinct in a crash situation.

Most likely the reason when a crash happens around her, even if it wasn't of her making, she still gets caught up in it. Some drivers have really good instincts to keep the car off of the wall and avoid other obstacles etc. This comes with seat time, people get better at it. Thing with DP is she has a ton of seat time, yet there is little if any improvement overall, like a robot she performs the same week after week. Like the employee that shows up to collect their paycheck week after week, never improves, never goes above and beyond to help out their employer, is just there to get paid and is the first guy out the door at quitting time.

1984 Grand Prix

Last edited by Sirrotica; 09-14-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I think I covered that already.
Already covered, MOVE ON!

Old 09-15-2017, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
One stat you failed to ask for his how many times Danica has been the cause of a wreck that she drove away from but knocked other drivers out of the race...

All drivers have been taken out of a race by someone else's screwups on occassion. Poop happens...

Danica doesn't like driving in close quarters - most likely from her Indy Car racing experience where if cars touch - they wreck.

Contact in stock car racing is a constant thing. The good drivers can deal with door to door racing and actually enjoy it.

Like this photo of Gordon and Hamlin I took at Martinsville years ago...

Those guys were having a blast running door to door (do you think you could slip a dollar bill between those two cars?)!!!