THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The theory that #3 was also dead has been on the aviation forums since the day of the crash (that's where the misfueling speculation started) Further, it seems the prop on #3 wasn't feathered. Whether that's true or not will come out in the final report.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
This isn't fact, but I heard this morning that #3 had also quit on them. If so that could be what put them into the glycol tanks. Yes a 17 can fly on 2 engines, but not with two on the same side running. Two on the same side... in this case only 1 and 2 running would push them to the right. I don't think the rudder could keep them heading straight, and pulling power to do that would put them into the ground sooner. Possibly it's the reason they clipped the approach lights before getting to the runway. Just my speculation, but if true it's entirely possible.
Very plausible, Gary. Having two engines out on the same side coupled with low pattern altitude and ATC requiring turns into the “engines out” side of the aircraft didn’t bode well for a safe landing. It isn’t humanly possible to hold rudder against two engines at full power.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455HOGT37 View Post
The theory that #3 was also dead has been on the aviation forums since the day of the crash (that's where the misfueling speculation started) Further, it seems the prop on #3 wasn't feathered. Whether that's true or not will come out in the final report.
A sudden mag failure on #3 during final approach would have be catastrophic to maintaining control of the aircraft. If proven, expect an AD on these Bendix Scintilla mags.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-25-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Whether that's true or not will come out in the final report.
I always get a little nuts about the speculation that always occurs when this sort of thing happens...I had a dear friend who was a pilot in a fatal crash some years ago, and remember the rumors that were going around about what happened before the NTSB issued the final report. it's best to wait for that rather than spreading rumors.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
A sudden mag failure on #3 during final approach would have be catastrophic to maintaining control of the aircraft. If proven, expect an AD on these Bendix Scintilla mags.
That and what you quoted from 455HOGT37.

It was also said the mechanics had been working on the magnetos that morning and there was moisture in them. Not a good thing at all. And that alone could have shorted them out for both engines. And you are right... there's no way anyone could hold the rudder to keep control with 2 engines out. Not on the B-17 especially with 2 engines out on one side and the power up to keep it in the air. With that I'm surprised it was even able to get back to the runway.

Note too. It's funny, but not in a laughing way, you mentioned Bendix Scintilla. My grandfather, and 2 of my uncles worked in that plant back in the 50s and 60s. We lived in Sidney, NY on W. Pearl St. back in 1955 when I was 5 years old, and then moved up to Northern NY. My mom also worked there as a secretary in 54 and 55.

Stewart, this is speculation not a rumor. Don't mix up the two. I've worked at airports and have had my hands working on piston aircraft when I was younger. Even a couple of jets since I've been here in Delaware... a Mig 21, and L-39 Albatros that holds a speed record clocked in Reno.... 545 mph. Plus that same L-39 won the Jet Class in 2005 and 2006. Boy do I miss that Mig 21. I have photos of both jets sitting with my GTO, and of the pilot and myself with them.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just to put another data point out there, the Feds have pulled Collings ability to sell rides citing poor maintenance and a lack of safety culture.

And for those who don't want to read the report, it turns out engines 3 and 4 were sick long before this flight. Half assed maintenance caused a very preventable tragedy that puts all remaining warbird and vintage aircraft operators in a bad light.

https://www.regulations.gov/document...001-11089-1673

Last edited by 455HOGT37; 03-27-2020 at 01:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 455HOGT37 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

egads!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-27-2020, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Just to put another data point out there, the Feds have pulled Collings ability to sell rides citing poor maintenance and a lack of safety culture.

And for those who don't want to read the report, it turns out engines 3 and 4 were sick long before this flight. Half assed maintenance caused a very preventable tragedy that puts all remaining warbird and vintage aircraft operators in a bad light.

https://www.regulations.gov/document...001-11089-1673
Yep, using safety wire to secure the mag’s “p” lead isn’t exactly an approve repair method.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talk about a recipe for disaster.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Scary! My wife and I flew on that plane about 4 years ago.