THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, one of my wife’s clinical specialties is infectious disease control. To calculate an infection rate of a virus, you take the known number of infections divided by the total population. Let’s take Italy; the estimated population of Italy is 60,317,546. Currently, there are 105,792 positive cases of COVID-19( declining new infection....good thing!). Using the formula I mentioned earlier, the infection rate of COVID-19 in Italy is .00175. The mortality rate is 11.7%(highest KNOWN rate in the world; linked to the highest 60+ population in Europe). The current recovery rate is 14.8%. The infection rate WILL increase exponentially with additional testing as will the recovery rate. Both the mortality and new infection rates are starting to decline, indicating that Italy may have reached peak infections. Good news for Italy; Spain is now turning into the COVID-19 “hot spot” of Europe.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-31-2020, 02:42 PM

I'm temporarily closing this thread...people's voices are getting louder and louder, and it seems to me that this discussion may be teetering on the edge of turning into a full blown slugfest soon. Let's give it a little cool down period, and maybe reopen it later.

I understand that people need to have a place to discuss the issue, and rational discussion is fine, but we also need to keep politics, accusations, and arguing about who has the correct facts out of it.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it a “bio weapon” in the classic model of bio weapons? No. A research project that escaped relatively undetected? Most plausible. The conscience is the virus came from consuming a bat. It would only take one insect contaminated with the COVID-19 virus consumed by a single prowling bat to infect an entire bat colony. The 1972 Biological Weapons Convention, an addendum to the 1925 Geneva Conventions, prohibits the research, development, manufacture , stockpiling and use of biological and toxin weapons. The U.S., Russia, the PRC and over 180 nations have ratified this treaty. The entire U.S. stockpile of biological weapons was destroyed at Johnston Island in the Pacific. The U.S. maintains Ft. Derrick (formerly the development center for U.S. biological weapons) as a bioweapons defense research facility.

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by hurryinhoosier62; 03-31-2020 at 03:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 06:22 PM

I merged the two threads on this topic, and am leaving it closed. Conspiracy theories belong in the Clubhouse, not in the Lobby.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 08:54 AM

I may have missed some things, but I tried to clean up this discussion as well as I could and I'm reopening it for now. Please don't attempt to incite arguments with others, and be respectful of other opinions - healthy discussions are one thing, calling each other names or trying to start fights is another. Don't pass on conspiracy theories. Politics and race baiting aren't allowed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 10:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

NO! But a word of advice to those with money in the stock market. STAY PUT! Every times some things happens, stock market goes crazy! Have you noticed that the stock market through time ALWAYS increases? Just wait it out! In the last month we saw the biggest one day drop in history and the largest increase in history! Back, 20? years ago we had a major drop! A friend of mine panicked! She lost $50,000 and in about a year it came back!

Old 04-01-2020, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by connman View Post
NO! But a word of advice to those with money in the stock market. STAY PUT! Every times some things happens, stock market goes crazy! Have you noticed that the stock market through time ALWAYS increases? Just wait it out! In the last month we saw the biggest one day drop in history and the largest increase in history! Back, 20? years ago we had a major drop! A friend of mine panicked! She lost $50,000 and in about a year it came back!
I have been keeping some cash in my 401(k). Last week I bought some more mutual funds. Everything is on sale these days. I have about 5 more years til I need it.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
I have been keeping some cash in my 401(k). Last week I bought some more mutual funds. Everything is on sale these days. I have about 5 more years til I need it.
It's a great time to invest in mutual and Roth IRAs. Depending on how your 401K funds are allocated, it might be a good time to diversify.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Entertainment and Pharma stocks actually gained in the first quarter.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 04-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yesterday's U.S. COVID-19 transmission rate: .0005; today's transmission rate: .00057. You will continue to see an increase in the transmission rate as more positive cases are reported to CDC. One factor that affects transmission rates is population density. Expect to see much higher transmission rates in large urban areas verses the rural areas. Here's an example: NY State has an overall transmission rate of .0043. New York Co., NY has a transmission rate of .02999. That is over 40 times higher than the overall U.S. transmission rate. This higher transmission rate is driven by population density in NYC. Here were we live, the number of reported positive cases is holding steady at 21 as of 12:42 EDT. Indy is "on fire" with 1,117 reported case and 21 deaths. The COVID-19 transmission rate in Marion Co/Indianapolis area is .0011; the transmission rate for Floyd Co. is .000269. Once again, ALL these rate will change dramatically over the next couple of weeks.. My wife was on a conference call until nearly midnight. Many state health departments are adopting a policy of considering everyone in a state to be infected. Testing will be restricted to patients exhibiting specific symptoms.

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by hurryinhoosier62; 04-01-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Population density is exactly the reason that the US has 23X the number of cases of Covid that Canada has, with only 10X the population. Spread out people.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The math for transition rates would suggest that Every possible target is within "reach" . This is just not so. There are places near me where there are No houses for 3-5 miles or more once you get further North. Trying to make this an exact statistic is just not possible. Has anyone seen the FLU numbers for March?> They are lumped into the COVID19 Numbers.
If they want this fixed, Everyone should be tested with a QUALITY tester, and then separate the infected and move on. That said; Some former SARS patients that are now healthy can and have tested positive for COVID19..
Considering"ALL" to be infected could help, but basically kills the whole economy.
NOT allowing those who have R/A to get their regular dose of hydrocloroquin is like murder. Forcing otherwise healthy people with R/A to get ADMITTED to a hospital to get a prescription
from a Strange Doctor for a known condition is just plain Stupidity, But it is happening Already in NY.
If you are over 50 and have symptoms and have tested positive for COVID19, you should be given Azithromycin 250 mg once a day, and Hydroxyclorquine 200mg , twice a day for a week.
On a Prevention note that the medical profession WILL never mention...
Bacteria and Viruses Hate Zinc..
Immune system is BOOSTED by Vitamin D3, which 80%+ of Americans are lacking . Over 40, you don't make much in the Sun at all.
If you have forced hot air and cooling in your home, adding UV-C lights( 6 of them) in the cold air return can kill a lot of Anything in your air, and clean or change your filters.
Most places are cleaning surfaces and just ignore their air handlers on the roof ( business And schools).

Last edited by Formulabruce; 04-01-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I told a coworker a couple weeks ago, when he started complaining about losing a few thousand in his 401K recently. “Now is the time to BUY not sell”.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
The math for transition rates would suggest that Every possible target is within "reach" . This is just not so. There are places near me where there are No houses for 3-5 miles or more once you get further North. Trying to make this an exact statistic is just not possible. Has anyone seen the FLU numbers for March?> They are lumped into the COVID19 Numbers.
If they want this fixed, Everyone should be tested with a QUALITY tester, and then separate the infected and move on. That said; Some former SARS patients that are now healthy can and have tested positive for COVID19..
Considering"ALL" to be infected could help, but basically kills the whole economy.
NOT allowing those who have R/A to get their regular dose of hydrocloroquin is like murder. Forcing otherwise healthy people with R/A to get ADMITTED to a hospital to get a prescription
from a Strange Doctor for a known condition is just plain Stupidity, But it is happening Already in NY.
If you are over 50 and have symptoms and have tested positive for COVID19, you should be given Azithromycin 250 mg once a day, and Hydroxyclorquine 200mg , twice a day for a week.
On a Prevention note that the medical profession WILL never mention...
Bacteria and Viruses Hate Zinc..
Immune system is BOOSTED by Vitamin D3, which 80%+ of Americans are lacking . Over 40, you don't make much in the Sun at all.
If you have forced hot air and cooling in your home, adding UV-C lights( 6 of them) in the cold air return can kill a lot of Anything in your air, and clean or change your filters.
Most places are cleaning surfaces and just ignore their air handlers on the roof ( business And schools).
Bruce, this is why I differentiate between overall transmission rates and specific transmission rates. Where you live and where I live, we have very low transmission rates. Someone who lives in an urban or large suburban area is going to see exponentially higher transmission rates. COVID-19 is nothing more than a mutation of the SARS virus.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-01-2020, 02:26 PM
Senior Chief

Default Question ? ? ?

Well, I'm just an old Boomer trying to survive this "crisis." (See photo) My neighbors aren't too happy with my antics either.

I'm trying to follow all of the advice, and also trying to educate myself on all of the reports and differing analyses … very confusing. But the most confusing is "cause of death" numbers.

I hear reports of an 80 year old dying of "complications caused by the Coronavirus." Other reports of a six year old whose death was "caused by Coronavirus." Does any agency, anywhere actually report those deaths which were "caused by the virus" vs. those whose death was caused by "complications caused by the virus"?

I know it's minor point, but in my mind there is a world of difference. And maybe it's just a semantics thing which will be sorted out in the post-mortem (pardon the usage) analysis.

Ogre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1606.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	535972  

Old 04-01-2020, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Well, I'm just an old Boomer trying to survive this "crisis." (See photo) My neighbors aren't too happy with my antics either.

I'm trying to follow all of the advice, and also trying to educate myself on all of the reports and differing analyses … very confusing. But the most confusing is "cause of death" numbers.

I hear reports of an 80 year old dying of "complications caused by the Coronavirus." Other reports of a six year old whose death was "caused by Coronavirus." Does any agency, anywhere actually report those deaths which were "caused by the virus" vs. those whose death was caused by "complications caused by the virus"?

I know it's minor point, but in my mind there is a world of difference. And maybe it's just a semantics thing which will be sorted out in the post-mortem (pardon the usage) analysis.

Ogre
Pat, this is why all the mortality stats need to be taken with a grain of salt. Many experts are pointing to the flu stats from this winter; how many deaths attributed to the "flu" were actually COVID-19 deaths? Likewise, how many "flu" infections were actually COVID-19 infections? Will we ever know? Probably not. The same would go for COVID-19 complication deaths. You just may be on to something with the flight helmet and O2 mask. A 3D company in Italy has a program that converts full face scuba masks into emergency C-PAP respirators. You may have just created a gold mine!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-01-2020, 03:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Pat, this is why all the mortality stats need to be taken with a grain of salt. ... You may have just created a gold mine!
Yeah, but this one is custom fitted (both mask and helmet) for ONLY one face, Steve. I doubt if I could sell it.

As far as mortality rates, it is very confusing, and I am beginning to wonder if ANYBODY really has a good handle on it. With recurring reports now coming out about the extreme hush-hush numbers of actual deaths in China, I really don't know what to believe.

BTW, do you have a good source for O2 bottles with the military fitting on them? It's hard to breath through this thing, even without the CRU-60P connector … lol.

Ogre

Old 04-01-2020, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A Map / Tracking tool by Microsoft, the "big picture" (as best on available data). FWIW

https://www.bing.com/covid/local/unitedstates

Old 04-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Massachusetts pushed the stay home date out to May 4th. Only essential businesses can be open. I have a feeling it will be pushed out further before we’re done. And a lot of “non” essential businesses won’t be reopening again.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just found out an old friend and co-worker's oldest son passed away today from COVID-19 complications in Louisville.; he was 30.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Closed Thread