THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Wearing the same gloves all day (or extended periods) is worse for two reasons. If the virus comes in contact with the glove it can survive for hours on the surface. Whatever the glove touches (drive-through change?) can allow it to transmit. I wear disposable nitrile gloves a lot at work, so I now wear the same when I shop in a store or pump gas. They go into the trash right afterwards, not in my pocket or on my console.
Secondly, wearing gloves too long can create sweat moisture that is a great host for accelerating bacteria. If your skin is compromised you're prone to infections forming. That I learned from an anesthesiologist I know.
Ran out of our box of HF Nitrile gloves, & good luck finding more. Topping off with diesel or gas, grabbing the blue paper towels to use the nozzle. In the shop & in the yard, am rotating between 3 pairs of HF mechanics gloves & then washing them with work jeans & shop aprons. Since my years of cutting meat am a serios clean freak & always wash my hands 10-20 times a day. Its applying the hand sanitizer when out & about that's been hard to get used to.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Until they can treat the disease to prevent people from going on ventilators or developing pneumonia AND also preventing the scarring that forms in lung tissue of the truly bad cases, it's going to be imperative to protect ourselves and each other. This is regardless of our political views or viewpoint on how "serious" it is for ourselves as individuals.

I don't wear gloves in public for the reasons 400 4spd stated. Lots of hand sanitizer and washing once I enter my house though. I get contact dermatitis on my hands from prolonged glove usage because of the humidity and sweat, so unless I'm in the garage or directly touching things you don't want on your skin, I forgo the gloves.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ben M. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Have less than 600 cases and 23 deaths?

Have any factual evidence?

Wait another week or so. Probably know some by then if everyone has an attitude like this.
The population of Lake Co., IN is 484,411. 2,653 residents of Lake Co., IN have been tested for CV-19; 576 have been positive. That means that .1% of the total population of Lake Co., IN has tested positive for CV-19. The current infection rate is 21.71%. That IS higher than the national average of 19.2-19.5%. As my wife(who deals with this 18 hours a day, EVERY DAY) will tell you is these number really mean nothing because of the minuscule number of people who have been tested. Indiana has a population 6.7 million people but only 35,040 have been tested for CV-19. That equates to .5% of the total population of the state of Indiana. Indiana’s total average infection rate is 19.7%. As more people are tested the rates will both increase AND decrease. If you’re expecting everyone to test positive for CV-19, don’t hold your breath. Not even bubonic plague affected everyone. By all means continue social distancing and other anti-viral measures but rest assured that we WILL have to deal with this “bug” for some time to come. Many epidemiologists are recommending that we quarantine those in the high risk group, but let those who are NOT in the high risk groups be allowed to continue with their lives using PPE. BTW....current world mortality rate for CV-19 is 6%. The U.S. mortality rate for CV-19 is 3.67%.

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by Stuart; 04-10-2020 at 03:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Seems the protocol to use ventilators was a wrong/bad plan, since more than 55% died when put to ventilators. Whereas the HCQ gets breathing going. Also just Oxygen gets them viable.

i have a link copied to Paste but...all in Moderation.
Just read an article about that, said the complications from ventilator use was more harmful than just using lots of oxygen.

The wife (RN in the ICU) says of their 10 cases or so, two of them on are ventilators. In her experience, with patients about 80 or older .. once they go on the ventilator they never come off. They get sent to what she called "Vent Farms" ... and pretty much never leave them.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
will tell you is these number really mean nothing because of the minuscule number of people who have been tested.
Exactly!

Doesn't mean the virus doesn't exist or is not contagious.
Until everyone is tested (or majority are) and find everyone they interact with then everyone needs to self distance from everyone else.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates

Last edited by johnta1; 04-10-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Some true facts and not opinions:

Fact Check Malaria Drug

Interesting article ... However my wife that works in the ICU says they ARE treating patients with Hydroxychloroquine, as she is administering it to patients under the trade name Plaquenil. So while the connection to Malaria is dubious as the article states, it is being used to treat Covid.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
they ARE treating patients with Hydroxychloroquine

I have no doubt of that. But it's not a vaccine, or keeps someone from getting it. I believe the effects of the drug help the patient breath easier.
Since the main problem of the virus is not getting enough O2, any help is better. If they don't have to intubate the better for the patient.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-10-2020, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have no doubt of that. But it's not a vaccine, or keeps someone from getting it. I believe the effects of the drug help the patient breath easier.
Since the main problem of the virus is not getting enough O2, any help is better. If they don't have to intubate the better for the patient.

John, very few vaccines prevent transmission of a virus; the vast majority lessen the severity of a certain virus. This is WHY the flu "shots" are ineffective in nearly 50% of the population. This past flu season was especially bad considering there were TWO strains of influenza; influenza "A" and influenza "B", Some virologists and epidemiologists are concern that some of these influenza cases were actually CV-19 but not recognized as such.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-10-2020, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So WHY aren't they getting enough O2? It's getting into the lungs, but not getting into the bloodstream. Something seriously wrong at molecular level.

Did you see the image I posted in #493?

Old 04-10-2020, 06:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
So WHY aren't they getting enough O2? It's getting into the lungs, but not getting into the bloodstream. Something seriously wrong at molecular level.
One possibility:
Quote:
A technique called "proning" can be the difference between life and death for critical COVID-19 patients, a Las Vegas ICU doctor said Friday.

"What proning is, is that normally we have patients lie on their back," he explained. "When they lie on their back, their heart applies pressure on the back of their lungs and it closes off those lungs just a little."

"And, what we do is we simply turn people over and they lie on their stomach. By doing that, the heart falls off the lungs and opens up a little bit more of the lung," he stated further. "You have to remember that these are people fighting for their life. And so, when we open up a little more lung, that's the difference between life and death."
BTW, there's so much info out there that some is good, and some is not so good, so I don't know what to believe, but this is one theory about the O2 difficulties.

Ogre

Old 04-10-2020, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Ran out of our box of HF Nitrile gloves, & good luck finding more. Topping off with diesel or gas, grabbing the blue paper towels to use the nozzle. In the shop & in the yard, am rotating between 3 pairs of HF mechanics gloves & then washing them with work jeans & shop aprons. Since my years of cutting meat am a serios clean freak & always wash my hands 10-20 times a day. Its applying the hand sanitizer when out & about that's been hard to get used to.
At least you can find disposable gloves that fit. Try that when you have 2-3XL hands like I do.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-10-2020, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post

Did you see the image I posted in #493?
CV-19 causes the red blood cells to “shed” their iron ions. Too much iron in the blood inhibits the absorption of oxygen.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-10-2020, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still no TP inventory at our stores today.
The stores have been restocking as normal , or above normal.
But its immediately sold out within an hour or two.
Hard to believe its still going on after 3-4 weeks.

I think there are some organized TP Troops networking within our city.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
One possibility:BTW, there's so much info out there that some is good, and some is not so good, so I don't know what to believe, but this is one theory about the O2 difficulties.

Ogre
Pat, Sandy keeps “preaching” to her nurses that they are going to have to start using percussion to aid in the breaking up of the mucus in the lungs of CV-19 patients. The only problem with this you have to be a nurse over 50 to even know what percussion is.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-10-2020, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Pat, Sandy keeps “preaching” to her nurses that they are going to have to start using percussion to aid in the breaking up of the mucus in the lungs of CV-19 patients. The only problem with this you have to be a nurse over 50 to even know what percussion is.
Yeah, to much work these days probably.
I remember In high school I had real bad congestion and possibly phenomena. The Dr ordered me to go to the hospital twice a day and be put on a breathing machine with medication in it, while the nurse pounded on my back. It was like getting a massage. I usually fell asleep!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Still no TP inventory at our stores today.
The stores have been restocking as normal , or above normal.
But its immediately sold out within an hour or two.
Hard to believe its still going on after 3-4 weeks.

I think there are some organized TP Troops networking within our city.
Went shopping today for the first time in about 10 days. Giant store. Still no TP, not a roll.
Did find a 6 pack of paper towels for $13.99. Felt like I had just found a long lost set of Ram Air V heads! So no, it's not just your town.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a friend who has cystic fibrosis. She has a therapy vest that has a series of air pockets built in; it connects to an air compressor, and the air pockets inflate and deflate rapidly to vibrate her lungs to break up the mucus that collects in them. She wears it for a period of time each day, and it's made a big difference in her life quality (and has probably extended her life by years.) That kind of vest would probably be beneficial for CV-19 patients, but they're expensive and I suspect they're not very common.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
At least you can find disposable gloves that fit. Try that when you have 2-3XL hands like I do.

If you get back to me soon I can get you Raven brand nitrile gloves in 2X.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
If you get back to me soon I can get you Raven brand nitrile gloves in 2X.
Thanks for the offer, but I would have to try them on first. Depending on how it’s made I can wear a 2XL but they are a little tight. 3XL fits the best.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-10-2020, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, but I would have to try them on first. Depending on how it’s made I can wear a 2XL but they are a little tight. 3XL fits the best.
Fingerless gloves for the win?
(I expect I'll get the finger now)

Closed Thread