Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-19-2020, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...
Default Were there, ANY Quadrajets made with a manual choke??? Any GM brand???

Just wondering. I've never seen one. If they did made one, I'd bet it's one of those early models that are less desirable...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 05-19-2020, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't remember a manual choke Q-Jet, even marine.

Carter made some spread-bore thermoquads with manual choke. I have one on my GTO.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes I used to sell them when I worked at Autozone 23 years ago. I think it’s an early 70s Chevrolet truck 350

Old 05-20-2020, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Yes I used to sell them when I worked at Autozone 23 years ago. I think it’s an early 70s Chevrolet truck 350
That’s funny, a friend was asking me today about a manual choke Quadrajet ( reason for thread) looking for one for his 68 Chevy C10 pickup.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 05-20-2020, 03:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are three basic types of QJet: the original 4M (starting in 1965), M4M (1975 onward) and E4M (from 1979). All QJets had automatic chokes, of which there are two basic types - integral (choke coil on the carb) and remote (choke coil on the manifold). 4MV carbs have the choke coil on the manifold and 4MC carbs have it on the side of the carb in a housing. An M4MC carb has a choke coil on the carb; and M4ME carb has the same type fo choke coil, but with an electric heater element in the choke coil.
Choke parts, primary metering rods and throttle shafts are not interchangeable between 4M and M4M carbs.

I guess some people thinks the M in 4M means "manual choke", but 4M is simply Rochester language for the 1965-74 Quadrajet.

FWIW

http://gtoaa.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 07:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not a quadrajet, but I had a 65 Mustang with a factory manual choke on a 289 hipo.

68 GTO
Old 05-20-2020, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My memory not as good as it once was, so with comments in this thread, I pulled the sheets on 1968~1974 Chevrolet truck with Q-Jets. ALL came from the factory with automatic chokes.

Jon.

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And to add to Jon's post, there were some crude attempts to make conversion kits through the years by aftermarket companies. It's possible that one of these kits were installed on someone's chevy truck that is being referred to as factory.

Dorman still sells these kits, as does a company called Quadrajet Power.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-20-2020, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wouldn't surprise me if some of the reman outfits cobbled stuff together.
When you've got a pile of cores that were treated like bowling balls, stuff like
choke linkage doesn't fare well. And nothing says one-size-fits-all like "truck".

Old 05-20-2020, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if some of the reman outfits cobbled stuff together.
When you've got a pile of cores that were treated like bowling balls, stuff like
choke linkage doesn't fare well. And nothing says one-size-fits-all like "truck".
You’re right...that’s the Quadra jet we sold when we had nothing else

Old 05-20-2020, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
IF Autozone sold them, that doesn't mean the factory ever made a manual choke Quadrajet.

I had a '75 Chevy short box 4x4 with manual choke, but it was an aftermarket setup put on before I owned it.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69TempestCustomS View Post
I had a 1968 Chevy K-20 that had one. 327 4 speed.
1962-68 Chevrolet V8 327 Trucks with manual choke uses a #7020109 2G carb with vacuum opreated governor form factory.

No Quadrajet w/manual choke from factory, only automatic choke w/Quadrajet.

http://gtoaa.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The bigger question is why a person would WANT a manual choke. If the individual parts work properly and are adjusted properly, an automatic choke works well, and seamlessly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
The bigger question is why a person would WANT a manual choke. If the individual parts work properly and are adjusted properly, an automatic choke works well, and seamlessly.
The answer is because some people either can't, or don't bother to read how to properly setup a automatic choke.

Then when their efforts fail, they resort to what they know works without any special tools or instructions, a manual choke. Someone with a hammer, screwdriver and a pair of pliers can convert a carb to a manual choke.

The same people that said in 1980 when manufactures were putting electronic engine management on cars, "I'll just work on the old cars". They either have retired when the old cars became few and far between, or moved onto another profession that only requires you to own a hammer, and to be close to the objective. Maybe driving in tent stakes would suit them?

1984 Grand Prix

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
I was questioned about a STOCK factory manual choke Quadrajet, not a botched conversion.

I bought some parts from a young guy (age 44, LOL) that was passing my way. I asked him ahead of time, what he might be looking for...He texted me several things, one was a manual choke Q-Jet. I didn't respond, until I got some answers from some VERY knowledgeable folks here. I met him a few minutes ago, told him the verdict. His knowledge is limited, and he's learning. His 68 C-10 has a provision in the instrument cluster for a manual choke cable knob. His original engine is long gone. I told him, his original engine likely had a 2G carb, which DID come with a manual choke........all this reason for my post, Thanks, All!!!

He likes old CHevy pickups, like I do (I have a 67 and a 68). He has a 68. His currrent goal is to replicate what a BRAND NEW 68 Chevy pickup was like, before modifying anything. That's a cool idea. An OEM restoration, or close to it...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 05-20-2020, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I was questioned about a STOCK factory manual choke Quadrajet, not a botched conversion.

I bought some parts from a young guy (age 44, LOL) that was passing my way. I asked him ahead of time, what he might be looking for...He texted me several things, one was a manual choke Q-Jet. I didn't respond, until I got some answers from some VERY knowledgeable folks here. I met him a few minutes ago, told him the verdict. His knowledge is limited, and he's learning. His 68 C-10 has a provision in the instrument cluster for a manual choke cable knob. His original engine is long gone. I told him, his original engine likely had a 2G carb, which DID come with a manual choke........all this reason for my post, Thanks, All!!!

He likes old CHevy pickups, like I do (I have a 67 and a 68). He has a 68. His currrent goal is to replicate what a BRAND NEW 68 Chevy pickup was like, before modifying anything. That's a cool idea. An OEM restoration, or close to it...
LMC truck lists a manual choke cable setup for 67-68 chevy 307, 350 2 bbl carb.

I also know some of the 40-70 serires trucks used manual chokes, especially those equipped with Holley carbs, even later than 68. 366 inch BBC used them into the mid 70s, 350 2bbls also had manual chokes until the mid 70s. Possibly some of the tall block 427s may also have used manual chokes, but I have no hands on experience with any 427s.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 05-21-2020, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
LMC truck lists a manual choke cable setup for 67-68 chevy 307, 350 2 bbl carb.

I also know some of the 40-70 serires trucks used manual chokes, especially those equipped with Holley carbs, even later than 68. 366 inch BBC used them into the mid 70s, 350 2bbls also had manual chokes until the mid 70s. Possibly some of the tall block 427s may also have used manual chokes, but I have no hands on experience with any 427s.
FWIW, I think the last car sold with a Factory manual choke was the 1983 Mazda RX7. They had a super complex 4BBL carburetor with a cable manual choke. Can't think of anything later than that car or light truck.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
The answer is because some people either can't, or don't bother to read how to properly setup a automatic choke.

Then when their efforts fail, they resort to what they know works without any special tools or instructions, a manual choke. Someone with a hammer, screwdriver and a pair of pliers can convert a carb to a manual choke.

The same people that said in 1980 when manufactures were putting electronic engine management on cars, "I'll just work on the old cars". They either have retired when the old cars became few and far between, or moved onto another profession that only requires you to own a hammer, and to be close to the objective. Maybe driving in tent stakes would suit them?
I guess I happen to be one of those folks too dumb to set up an automatic choke

Actually, I have always preferred manual chokes, just like I prefer manual transmissions. I have full control over the operation.

But the hokey conversions are not the way to go.

My shop truck is equipped with TWO Carter AFB's which originally came with manual chokes, and yes, I run chokes on both, and simultaneous linkage. These were the race Carters, and I had to make a ton of modifications, but they really work well.

My GTO probably has too many modifications for the street. One is blocking the crossover, which I would never do again, except on a trailered race car. Another is the use of an aluminum flywheel. Not my first aluminum wheel, and I love it. But between these two modifications, in-city idle is impossible with an automatic choke for about 20 minutes; and it is embarrassing to have the car stall at every light or stop sign. So replaced the TQ with automatic choke with one with a factory manual choke. Pull the choke about 1/4 way at each light or stop sign until the engine is hot; end of problem.

Once hot, the engine will idle pretty well around 850 or so, and doesn't stall.

So a manual choke CAN be beneficial.

Showing my age, but I can remember when the only two well-known automobiles in the world that sold for more than $10k new had both manual transmissions AND manual chokes. Guess Ferrari wasn't smart enough to adjust an automatic choke either

Jon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jon, I never said dumb, I said, "can't, or won't read how to set it up properly". You can be stubborn, but not stupid, and limit yourself because you're stubborn. I've been in the car biz for over 50 years and have seen some pretty stubborn mechanics that wouldn't admit they didn't know how to repair a car, and wouldn't pick up a manual to get instructions, or ask someone else that may have run into the problem before them.

Every time I had a chance to attend any school or tech seminar I was happy to attend, it made my job easier when I knew about the function of the system, without knowing how the system functions you're just guessing at the problem, and the cure.

Common sense is required to work out any complex problems when it comes to vehicles, but when you have problems you can't charge the customer, and give the car back with the same problem they brought it to you for. Wish I had a dollar every time I had to follow someone else's screw ups when they charged the customer without repairing the problem.

I fully believe that you could follow the manufacturers directions, and make all the proper adjustments that would make an automatic choke would work properly after you were finished with it.........

1984 Grand Prix

Old 05-22-2020, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad - I understood what you meant, and took no offense.

My comment was to point out that people are different. If we all were robots, and all drove the "perfect" car, we would all be driving white 1962 E-Type Jaguars, with light blue interiors! (But I still wouldn't be able to afford one!).

And yes, I am able to read the manufacturers settings for automatic chokes; but with today's fuel, these settings don't always work. So, I have developed my own settings to help customers. The manufacturers settings are generally a good starting point. But just like folks recurving a distributor, or changing exhaust systems; standard settings just don't "work" for everyone.

To those who prefer anything automatic, it is certainly a personal decision. But there are conditions where "automatic" is simply the path of least resistance, and not the best path for all.

Jon.