Old 01-05-2021, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Blackstone labs oil analysis

Anyone use Blackstone?

Useful or not?

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 01-05-2021, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blackstone was pretty much the first, going back to 1985, arguably the best in the field. There are others out there that are cheaper, but haven't been around as long.

The idea of using a spectrometer to see what elements are in the oil, and count the amounts of each isn't rocket science, but you're probably talking a difference of $5-10 dollars difference on a $30 total price, last time I checked. There's an abundance of information on their site.

Link: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/information/articles/

Wix filters offers the service, Hot Shots Secret, the manufacturer of Frantz by pass oil filters offers it, plenty of places have the service available.

I believe it's useful, especially if you're trying for extended oil change intervals, without causing engine wear. The safest way to extend oil changes is with a by pass filter, and Blackstone covers the difference in standard oil filters, vs by pass filters on their site if you're going for extended oil changes.

Just curious of why you are considering using the service?

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-05-2021, 09:48 PM
Suspended

Why?

Old 01-05-2021, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why?

Because it’s there?...never had an oil analysis done on anything I’ve run.

Thinking about running a sample purely for giggles...

Searching for “Blackstone” on this site doesn’t reveal much of anything....I guess no one cares what’s in the oil unless it’s visibly full of metal?

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 01-05-2021, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be more meaningful if you get an analysis of your oil before using it and then an analysis after however many miles you want it to see how the oil changes.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchell View Post
Anyone use Blackstone?

Useful or not?
Been a long time but yes.

Regardless of what you read on the internet, it's really the only way to know the health of the engine and whether or not your service intervals are in line, and your filters are doing their jobs. Once you determine that, it gives you a direction to go.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 01-06-2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Anyone use Blackstone?

Useful or not?
Yes, several times with various vehicles over the years. And in fact, a couple of times with my 1965 GTO. I had the engine completely gone through in 2015 to include rings and bearings, balancing, timing chain and gears, oil pump, etc. Although the engine was running just fine at the time, I decided to have it gone through just because I wanted to be sure everything was OK. Fixing what wasn't broken proved to be a mistake.

After driving the car 1500 miles on the new rebuild in 2015, I sent away for an oil analysis to Blackstone as a "checkup" for my rebuild. Blackstone indicated that they found concerning amounts of various metals in my oil sample. I sent this oil report to the engine builder, and he pretty much chalked it up to the fact that it was a fresh rebuild and that it should clear up. So, I changed the oil again and waited for the spring of 2016.

In 2016, I drove very few miles (about 500) and again sent the oil in for analysis. I got pretty much the same response from Blackstone. Although I drove fewer miles, the oil was still not looking great. Had I actually driven 1500 miles again instead of 500, Blackstone said we would see much more metal. Again, the engine builder wasn't very interested in what Blackstone had to say.

The years 2017, 2018, 2019 brought very few miles as life got very busy. No further oil analysis was performed. Into 2020 I go, and drive the car a little more. In late August, with about 3300 miles total on the 2015 rebuild, a rod bearing begins to knock. I was very fortunate that I got the engine shut off immediately as I was one block from home when the incident occurred.

The engine has since been disassembled, and the number 7 rod bearing is showing quite a bit of copper. All other mains and rod bearings look very good.

So, I am quite convinced that oil analysis is a good thing because it gave me an idea that there was indeed a problem back in 2015. I never drive the car hard, so I know it is not a case of abuse that caused the rod bearing failure.

I have a few aviation friends, and they are huge proponents of used oil analysis.

Last edited by propuckstopper; 01-06-2021 at 12:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to propuckstopper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 12:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

My father owned and operated an aircraft maintenance and repair facility for many years before getting into the aircraft modification business.

I don’t know if the FAA requires it, but it was standard operating procedure to do an oil analysis for every annual we did on an aircraft. Blackstone was always used.

I’ve trusted them since, though I don’t run nearly as many samples as I likely should.

Old 01-06-2021, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't used Blackstone.

I've used Caterpillar and Detroit Diesel labs. It's just a matter of going into the Parts Department and buying the oil sample kit. The Cat lab was in-state for me, the Detroit Diesel lab I used is in Ohio. Seems to me that both companies had several labs, I just shipped to the one closest to me.

I bet Cummins has oil analysis labs, too.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I care what's in my oil, and use a by pass filter that takes the bad stuff out, and extends the life of my engine and my oil. I can tell you for sure that 90% of members here all think that the OEM full flow filter is "good enuff" for their purposes.

Difference is I can safely run my oil for 35,000 miles/4 years. If you try that with a OEM style filter, the rods would be hanging out of the block. There's a huge difference in filters, and what they do for your oil.

By keeping the insolubles out of the oil it makes a helluva difference in longevity of engine parts, and oil, but for the most part, it falls on deaf ears.

I have posted a few of the Blackstone used oil analysis reports for an dodge cummins owner that uses a by pass oil filter, that had the engine oil in his truck for 3 years and the oil was still very serviceable at 3 years and 25,000 miles by the oil analysis

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-06-2021, 02:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Searching for “Blackstone” on this site doesn’t reveal much of anything....I guess no one cares what’s in the oil unless it’s visibly full of metal?
Basically, yeah.

Unless I'm picking chunks of metal and bearings out of the oil pan, I don't really care.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-06-2021, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

& here we go again... the OP is simply asking about using blackstone for an oil analysis, but right on cue we get the bypass lecture again.

if you want to read up on over 10k used oil analysis & over a thousand virgin oil analysis, & how helpful & accurate they are, check out bobistheoil guy where members post their results & discuss the meaning of them. oil analysis are helpful if you want to know the condition of the engine or any problems that may be happening... or just to know the actual make up of the new oil before you use it.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/

Last edited by 78w72; 01-06-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:30 AM
Suspended

And there goes the "Bob the oil guy" BS

My name is Bob, I'm going to tell you about oil and you WILL believe me because I am "Bob the oil guy".

LOL!

Old 01-06-2021, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by propuckstopper View Post
Yes, several times with various vehicles over the years. And in fact, a couple of times with my 1965 GTO. I had the engine completely gone through in 2015 to include rings and bearings, balancing, timing chain and gears, oil pump, etc. Although the engine was running just fine at the time, I decided to have it gone through just because I wanted to be sure everything was OK. Fixing what wasn't broken proved to be a mistake.

After driving the car 1500 miles on the new rebuild in 2015, I sent away for an oil analysis to Blackstone as a "checkup" for my rebuild. Blackstone indicated that they found concerning amounts of various metals in my oil sample. I sent this oil report to the engine builder, and he pretty much chalked it up to the fact that it was a fresh rebuild and that it should clear up. So, I changed the oil again and waited for the spring of 2016.

In 2016, I drove very few miles (about 500) and again sent the oil in for analysis. I got pretty much the same response from Blackstone. Although I drove fewer miles, the oil was still not looking great. Had I actually driven 1500 miles again instead of 500, Blackstone said we would see much more metal. Again, the engine builder wasn't very interested in what Blackstone had to say.

The years 2017, 2018, 2019 brought very few miles as life got very busy. No further oil analysis was performed. Into 2020 I go, and drive the car a little more. In late August, with about 3300 miles total on the 2015 rebuild, a rod bearing begins to knock. I was very fortunate that I got the engine shut off immediately as I was one block from home when the incident occurred.

The engine has since been disassembled, and the number 7 rod bearing is showing quite a bit of copper. All other mains and rod bearings look very good.

So, I am quite convinced that oil analysis is a good thing because it gave me an idea that there was indeed a problem back in 2015. I never drive the car hard, so I know it is not a case of abuse that caused the rod bearing failure.

I have a few aviation friends, and they are huge proponents of used oil analysis.
Did the builder repair it under warranty?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 01-06-2021, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
And there goes the "Bob the oil guy" BS

My name is Bob, I'm going to tell you about oil and you WILL believe me because I am "Bob the oil guy".

LOL!
please explain your reasoning for how or why that site is "BS"... its just a forum of people, like here, that post about oil. many members are very knowledgeable & some are engineers or have worked in oil & lubrication. there is no "bob" that posts on there. you clearly have never checked it out & as usual think everything posted on the internet is false or some voodoo magic, yet here you are posting away...

then please explain how posting thousands of results of oil analyses from blackstone are BS??

Old 01-06-2021, 12:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
please explain your reasoning for how or why that site is "BS"... its just a forum of people, like here, that post about oil. many members are very knowledgeable & some are engineers or have worked in oil & lubrication. there is no "bob" that posts on there. you clearly have never checked it out & as usual think everything posted on the internet is false or some voodoo magic, yet here you are posting away...

then please explain how posting thousands of results of oil analyses from blackstone are BS??
Really?

I never checked it out?

Then who is Bob Winters?

Yet.... Here you are posting away.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chief of the 60's For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you gather a sample, do you do it hot or cold?

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 01-06-2021, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Ohhhhhhh

Hahahaha

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-06-2021, 12:36 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post

(Trouble maker)

Old 01-06-2021, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Really?

I never checked it out?

Then who is Bob Winters?

Yet.... Here you are posting away.
so a guy named bob is the owner/originator of the site, whats that prove? he rarely posts there & even if he does you still havent provided one shred of evidence to back up your claim that the site as a whole or the info posted there is "BS".

did you have a bad experience there or do facts about oil hurt your feelings? im confused by your animosity for that forum... sorry if suggesting to check out oil analyses there offends you.

My name is chief, I'm going to tell you about everything and you WILL believe me because...

LOL!