THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a low limit credit card for online purchasing and some auto bill paying. It is set up to view statements online. My credit union has a bill paying function. My credit card info is with the CU so I can select it to be paid, then select the amount and account to be paid from. That way vendors, payees do not have direct access to my CU account. Both I and my wife have had our credit cards hacked (with no money loss to us), but not our CU account. I imagine a hacker could, but would not try to trace a card back to a CU/ bank account as it would be much much more difficult than hacking the card.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 01-29-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
So far I have called and had the late charge removed on anything that’s been late with no problem. They do tell you “you know you can do that online” thanks.

Again, you cannot get through! High volume times excuse, hour long hold times, call back at another time messages. It’s all so over whelming. I have one service that will take your number and call you back when your place in line is available. They should ALL have that.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-29-2021, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Verizon are a bunch of A holes, there's the problem. I wouldn't put it past Verizon to send the bills late to get the late fees. They're all about late fees and charging for something you never got, exactly why I quit their service about 8-9 years ago.

I dealt with them one time, they broke their end of the contract and when I quit them, They then tried to get me for year of service because they thought that the contract protected them. That was about 8 years ago and the $1200 they insisted I owed them never got paid because they simply didn't hold up their end. 8 years later their collection agency is still sending me statements it's now down to like $300 that they'll take to settle the debt, but it's been over 7 years and they aren't getting 3 cents from me, let alone $300.

My daughter has had Verizon for probably 20 years, and just quit them too, because they're azzholes.

MA, if you have an account with Verizon you can still get the amount of the bill online, and send them a check, but sending them a check is like advertising what you account, and routing numbers are. You're likely to get someone that will use the numbers to make withdrawals out of your accounts. You can also use a debit card online to pay the bill online.

Personally we use auto bill pay through the bank, but you're like my mother, and she would never set it up so the bills could be paid automatically. When she moved into the retirement home they insisted that she set her monthly rent payments up through the bank, else she would have still been writing checks up till the day she passed.

There are people that will pay for routing and account numbers from people in the companies that are receiving checks. They'll empty an account out as quick as you can read this message. Checks are just a equally unsafe as debit or auto bill pays, and yes my bank has been hacked, and they got into my accounts too, but that was over 5 years ago, and the bank stood the loss. The banks have stepped up security measures since a bunch of them got hacked back 5-10 years ago. I sincerely believe there is no safe way to transact money except using cash, so I try to choose the least likely way to avoid being hacked into my accounts.

If you have availability to Spectrum I'd surely look at their phone, internet and TV services, they're tons cheaper than Verizon, AT&T, and most any company that offers bundling of services. Easier to work with, and it's been my experience that they don't put you on hold for eons.

Hope maybe something i suggested will get you out of your predicament.

I forgot to add, so far no mail delivery issues here.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-29-2021, 03:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have had multiple examples of very slow delivery. The last example took 20 days to travel 18 miles. I could have walked it faster!

Old 01-29-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Verizon are a bunch of A holes, there's the problem. I wouldn't put it past Verizon to send the bills late to get the late fees. They're all about late fees and charging for something you never got, exactly why I quit their service about 8-9 years ago.

I dealt with them one time, they broke their end of the contract and when I quit them, They then tried to get me for year of service because they thought that the contract protected them. That was about 8 years ago and the $1200 they insisted I owed them never got paid because they simply didn't hold up their end. 8 years later their collection agency is still sending me statements it's now down to like $300 that they'll take to settle the debt, but it's been over 7 years and they aren't getting 3 cents from me, let alone $300.

My daughter has had Verizon for probably 20 years, and just quit them too, because they're azzholes.

MA, if you have an account with Verizon you can still get the amount of the bill online, and send them a check, but sending them a check is like advertising what you account, and routing numbers are. You're likely to get someone that will use the numbers to make withdrawals out of your accounts. You can also use a debit card online to pay the bill online.

Personally we use auto bill pay through the bank, but you're like my mother, and she would never set it up so the bills could be paid automatically. When she moved into the retirement home they insisted that she set her monthly rent payments up through the bank, else she would have still been writing checks up till the day she passed.

There are people that will pay for routing and account numbers from people in the companies that are receiving checks. They'll empty an account out as quick as you can read this message. Checks are just a equally unsafe as debit or auto bill pays, and yes my bank has been hacked, and they got into my accounts too, but that was over 5 years ago, and the bank stood the loss. The banks have stepped up security measures since a bunch of them got hacked back 5-10 years ago. I sincerely believe there is no safe way to transact money except using cash, so I try to choose the least likely way to avoid being hacked into my accounts.

If you have availability to Spectrum I'd surely look at their phone, internet and TV services, they're tons cheaper than Verizon, AT&T, and most any company that offers bundling of services. Easier to work with, and it's been my experience that they don't put you on hold for eons.

Hope maybe something i suggested will get you out of your predicament.

I forgot to add, so far no mail delivery issues here.

Thank you Brad! Definitely going to check into changing providers!

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 01-29-2021, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So you wanna stay old school...

Why do you let a bill go late waiting for the paper bill? Why risk the late charges and potential credit score damage? You know all your due dates, right?

Consider becoming proactive about paying your bills on the premise that the USPS is not trustworthy, and it ain't getting fixed.

And regarding auto-pay, we don't give just anyone our credit union info, most of our bills are charged to a VISA card that we no longer use for anything else.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post

Why do you let a bill go late waiting for the paper bill? Why risk the late charges and potential credit score damage? You know all your due dates, right?

Consider becoming proactive about paying your bills on the premise that the USPS is not trustworthy, and it ain't getting fixed.

And regarding auto-pay, we don't give just anyone our credit union info, most of our bills are charged to a VISA card that we no longer use for anything else.
That’s a good point it might come to that. The USPS delivery’s have only gone to hell the last 3-4 months it wasn’t great before but then it went right off the rails.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I try to pay with cash whenever possible. One Visa statement didn't show up,
so I went to the bank and paid *approximately* what I owed anyways. Had a
small credit the next month. Same thing when at the supermarket. Keep an
approximate subtotal in mind, there won't be any surprises at the cashier.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post

Yes I know the due dates but......my totals are never the same depending on usage of devices, or use of oil for heat, you can’t just guess at it.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 01-29-2021, 04:04 PM

Perhaps you can have your statements emailed to you? That way you can see the amount and get the check in the mail? Just a thought...

Old 01-29-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRSW6 View Post
Perhaps you can have your statements emailed to you? That way you can see the amount and get the check in the mail? Just a thought...

That is a thought.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 01-29-2021, 05:34 PM
Senior Chief

We all saw a certain person put his friend in charge of USPS for the very purpose of trashing it. We all saw it was done. From that point on, everyone knew the mail would be a mess till new sorting machines and equipment could be ordered and installed. That will take several months. I moved to online and mostly auto pay on everything I could asap. This problem will last a while yet so plan on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack P. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P. View Post
We all saw a certain person put his friend in charge of USPS for the very purpose of trashing it.
Yeah, because the USPS operated like a fine Swiss watch before... him.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No paying on line for us. We're getting mail late and sent mail arrives late, but I'm not going to worry about an account being hacked. An friend of mine was paying online and one of his bank accounts was hacked. They lost money and it took the bank a couple of months before they got it back to his account. I don't have much but I'm not about to take the chance of losing what little we do have even for a "short" time.

BTW Beware... watch out for the newer Social Security scam. They tell you the law is on the way to arrest you if you don't talk to them and co-operate. Social Security doesn't call you, they'll send a letter only. We've had several calls in the past 2 weeks. If it's not a number you know or one that doesn't have ID don't answer it, if you did just hang up.... do not talk to them after the recording is done. Calling the number back does nothing.

The wife called Social Security and they, and the FBI, know about it and are working hard to catch these AHs. The lady at Social Security she talked to had it happen to her for the first time last night. She was not happy at all.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
No paying on line for us. We're getting mail late and sent mail arrives late, but I'm not going to worry about an account being hacked. An friend of mine was paying online and one of his bank accounts was hacked. They lost money and it took the bank a couple of months before they got it back to his account. I don't have much but I'm not about to take the chance of losing what little we do have even for a "short" time.

BTW Beware... watch out for the newer Social Security scam. They tell you the law is on the way to arrest you if you don't talk to them and co-operate. Social Security doesn't call you, they'll send a letter only. We've had several calls in the past 2 weeks. If it's not a number you know or one that doesn't have ID don't answer it, if you did just hang up.... do not talk to them after the recording is done. Calling the number back does nothing.

The wife called Social Security and they, and the FBI, know about it and are working hard to catch these AHs. The lady at Social Security she talked to had it happen to her for the first time last night. She was not happy at all.

I get those scam calls all the time. In fact I get them from companies I never even had an account with threatening to close the account and send sheriffs here to collect.

Let em come! If the number pops up on my cell I never answer it because I know it’s not in my contact list. If it’s important they will leave a message, if I hear something I know nothing about I erase it, and block the number.

BTW Gary you are in my contact list lol

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 01-29-2021, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry MA, I just don't see a huge problem. Know your due dates and get proactive when no bill. Get online access to your account. Doesn't mean you have to pay online, but you can see all details and due amounts at any time. Paying online is standard and no more risk than checks. Use a credit card for extra protection if worried (over routing & account way). I don't see a 2 page thread as helping you any, nor you being receptive to ideas so far. As for unavailable Verizon, have called them many times. Their tech people have been excellent. You can do other stuff when on hold. If you had a smart phone it is easier to do that. Speaker phone and easier controls. I'm sure the curmudgeons will have issues with my line of thinking. I just don't get it. It is not 1996.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P. View Post
We all saw a certain person put his friend in charge of USPS for the very purpose of trashing it. We all saw it was done. From that point on, everyone knew the mail would be a mess till new sorting machines and equipment could be ordered and installed. That will take several months. I moved to online and mostly auto pay on everything I could asap. This problem will last a while yet so plan on it.
LOLOLOLOL!!!!! Nooooooo…….

It has sucked for years. Don't need excuses for union employees with piss poor attitudes. It clearly shows.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

MA

I have most of my bills emailed to me and have have directed the various companies to directly charge them monthly to my rewards CC (Verizon, electric bill, internet, streaming services, etc). This way my routine bills are always paid on time, and I only have one bill to pay for all of them. I earn money from the rewards and earn interest on all that money for 30 days in my rewards checking account before paying my CC via Bill Pay.

I use propane for heat (and cooking/water heating/grilling (grill plumbed into propane line) and my supplier doesn't accept CC's. Simple solution - I pre buy my year's worth of propane in the fall at a discount, eliminating the need to receive a monthly bill and saving money at the same time. If I buy too much for the year, it's carried over to the next. If I don't buy enough, it will get a bill during the summer months for actual usage. I'm sure your fuel oil supplier has that option available to you.

I hate writing checks and worrying about due dates. I know the amount and due date of my CC payment before the snail mail bill arrives. I've already set it up for automatic payment on Bill Pay to be processed 3 days before the payment is due.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Sorry MA, I just don't see a huge problem. Know your due dates and get proactive when no bill. Get online access to your account. Doesn't mean you have to pay online, but you can see all details and due amounts at any time. Paying online is standard and no more risk than checks. Use a credit card for extra protection if worried (over routing & account way). I don't see a 2 page thread as helping you any, nor you being receptive to ideas so far. As for unavailable Verizon, have called them many times. Their tech people have been excellent. You can do other stuff when on hold. If you had a smart phone it is easier to do that. Speaker phone and easier controls. I'm sure the curmudgeons will have issues with my line of thinking. I just don't get it. It is not 1996.
First of all I wasn’t looking for this post to help, I posted it to see how many others may be having the same issues!

Second, I’m not buying a smart phone period!

Third you stating I’m NOT receptive to suggestions....I’ve tried most of them to no avail, but a few posts up recognized and replied that perhaps getting an e mail from these Companies with a due date and amount would be helpful.

Forth I’m not stupid I know what year it is!

And Fifth.....NO you obviously “don’t get it” but thanks for nothing! if you don’t like my posts, don’t post in them! It’s pretty obvious from the replies here, others are having many difficulties with mail delivery of important mail as I am, that was the point of this post.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 01-31-2021, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The USPS may have had issues before but it the last year it’s gotten to be in a total shambles.

I ordered an intake gasket set from Tin Indian which is less than an hour from my house in NE Ohio last month. It went to mail processing centers in Akron, then to Grand Rapids,MI, on to Warrendale,PA, Pittsburgh, Youngstown,Oh before getting to my local PO for delivery. All in all 10 days and almost 1000miles to deliver a package 40miles. What business could survive with that kind of managerial mismanagement?

As far as bill payments, using a credit card or PayPal online is more secure and gives more protection against fraud than sending your checking account and bank routing number with your sig on it through this incompetent, unreliable mail system of ours.

Old combo:
462 10.75 CR,,SD 330CFM Round Port E's,Old Faithful cam,Jim Hand Continental,3.42's.
1968 Pontiac GTO : 11.114 @ 120.130 MPH

New combo:
517 MR-1,10.8 CR,SD 350CFM E's,QFT 950/Northwind,246/252 HR,9.5” 4000 stall,3.42's
636HP/654TQ
1.452 10.603 @ 125.09
http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-GTO...lip-31594.html