Old 08-17-2021, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 GTO Cowl paint

Are the sides of the front cowl, under the fenders painted body color, or are they black. I could swear I remember them being body color with a break to black before getting to the top surface.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Body color with a break under the top of the fender.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2021, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good stuff. Having an original Black GTO, i was curious about the cowl paint and indeed it had gloss Black in both lower Cowl sides, behind the fenders.

Forgetful about what happened going up to the Fender tops.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2021, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have a great pic, but here's where the break is on my car.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0604.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	571532   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0510.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	571533  

The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2021, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's mine. The white paint forward of the cowl to body seam line is original paint. I wanted to preserve that, so I left it and the paint was in remarkably good shape
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2402.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	571570  

The Following User Says Thank You to 69gtocv For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2021, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, that's what I was remembering ... when I first disassembled the car many years ago there was beautiful Verdoro Green hiding in there.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct. Cowl section was body color, with top of cowl blacked out with fade into that area. Here is a picture of a car I purchased many years ago as the former owner had "disassembled" the car to them "restore". Frame was next to car. Fenders behind. I still have this car and while it sits on a rolling chassis, it's not back together yet.

I have MANY other pictures of this exact same look. This WAS how the factory did it. I have observed differences between Arlington and Pontiac cars in this regard, however. Pontiac cars had "the fade" whereas my Arlington cars showed much more of a sharp / clean line where the cowl black was applied
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nordic Blue 68.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	571619  

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 08-19-2021, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exactly ... my GTO is Arlington and I remember a cleaner line almost like it was taped off at the seam sealer on top.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Exactly ... my GTO is Arlington and I remember a cleaner line almost like it was taped off at the seam sealer on top.
FWIW, mine's an Arlington car too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2021, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll put some tape in that location and roll up the edge so it's kind of soft and call it good.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm starting to get a little excited about this car. It's been 40 years since I've had it on the road, 45 years since I bought it, literally on graduation day from HS, from my art teacher, and drove it to graduation that night. Was my daily transportation post HS, and throughout my four years in the military. Somehow, throughout moves all over the country the car went with me, running or not. Numerous girlfriends and good friends occupied the passenger seat for those years, many youthful adventures, good times and bad times.

Soon the parts I have been carrying around and storing for years will start going back in, rebuilt, recovered, repainted and new.

I still have the last license plate it ever got, never even installed, still brand new, when I move back to TN I will try to see if they will let me use it somehow.

Hopefully I will drive it with far more sanity and self control than I did those many years ago.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 01:38 PM
Senior Chief

Glad you posted this question data. Mine is similar to 68gtoMN’s except mine rolls all the way up the side to the seam with the top of the cowl. I don’t have the black overspray from the top on it. I originally thought mine was gray primer but cleaned it up to find my original Springmist Green.

Speaking of this area, what’s factory as far as the windshield channel area? Was that color matched to the body on the top, left/right, and bottom or was that all just black?

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got similar question about the windshield channel .... where was the break between top dashboard color and window channel color. Was the lower channel top dashboard color ... or black cowl color?

Old 08-21-2021, 03:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another question .... was seam sealer in areas that did not receive body color primed over? Or was it applied after the primer? Pretty sure I remember areas that were painted body color had the sealer painted over. I've got the first coats of epoxy on the body and I thinking I should do the seam sealing before I apply the last coat of primer. I know the factory seam sealer on my GTO was beige ... and I don't remember seeing any big beige strips of seam sealer.

Old 08-21-2021, 02:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Another question .... was seam sealer in areas that did not receive body color primed over? Or was it applied after the primer? Pretty sure I remember areas that were painted body color had the sealer painted over. I've got the first coats of epoxy on the body and I thinking I should do the seam sealing before I apply the last coat of primer. I know the factory seam sealer on my GTO was beige ... and I don't remember seeing any big beige strips of seam sealer.
I think we’re at about the exact same point right now. I should have my seam sealer on late this afternoon. Shot the second coat of SPI Epoxy last night. My existing seam sealer was exactly as you described, kind of a beige color that looks like it might have started out life as a slightly off-white color (the sealer I removed from deeper in the crevices looked closer to white). The epoxy seam sealer I’m using will have to be painted over as it’s a blue-ish color.

I’ve been searching google for images of 1968-9 “survivor” cars looking for answers to the dash/windshield channel questions. At this point I’m guessing that the dash 0° gloss paint terminates at the flat seam where the dash stamped panel meets the top cowl pannel. Either way you’ll never see the transition if it’s within the lower windshield sealing surface I guess. Maybe easier or less critical for me with a black interior as just the gloss % change and not a color change.

My final coat of primer should either be tonight or tomorrow depending on how my coat from last night looks. I’m messing with small amounts of flattener in my epoxy primer trying to tweak things just enough to notice a difference between frame/firewall (originally 30°) and inner fenders, core support, control arms, steering linkage, heater box, and other accessories (originally 60°). Not shooting for concourse by any means… just some differentiation seeing that it’s all in pieces and easy to spray. I keep meaning to put a post up in the “Body” section showing how things are going and stop cluttering up your posts! Sorry about that!

Old 08-21-2021, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Post here all you want ... I trust the 68/69 people more than those regular people

I'm using black urethane sealer so I would probably have some more options on how to do it.

Will be putting on the sealer today, and probably last primer on Weds ... so yes it is a race

Old 08-21-2021, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heres what was on mine. Sealant covering the edge
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E6BA3089-EA12-4FBA-A1ED-9DA3BC05B126_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	571718  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 08-22-2021, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Finished the sealing today ... think I will go back and do the seam on that window channel ... didn't do it today.

How about the drip rail channel? I can't tell what's going on there. I cleaned it down to bare metal with a wire brush on a drill, now it's primed ... I don't see evidence of an actual seam in there, but there has to be one right?

There was accumulated paint, vinyl top glue etc. in there but I didn't see a lot of sealant come out. Should I run a bead of sealant in the channel and smooth it down with a finger or something?

Anyone ever noticed that the drip rail is sort of screwed on? Mine appears to have been screwed on, then tack welded in place at the factory. From the way it cleaned up in the door seal area it almost looks like stainless steel.

Old 08-22-2021, 01:21 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Post here all you want ... I trust the 68/69 people more than those regular people
Us 68/69 people are a special breed. Must come from dealing with Endura bumpers, crummy repop fenders and rusted out rear deck panels from the proliferation of vinyl tops, lol.

Very happy for you Dataway as you approach the finish line. 40 years is a long time to not be behind the wheel. Cheers to you making up for lost time!

Last edited by will slow gto; 08-22-2021 at 01:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to will slow gto For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 04:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Will, very soon now I won't be coming upstairs with dirty hands and clothes after working on the car

This black urethane sealant went on so nice, and took brush marks just the way I wanted that I'm tempted not to prime over it in the cowl area.

Right now the firewall/cowl has two coats of black epoxy ... pretty much done if I don't apply another coat of epoxy ... so kind of reluctant to shoot it again just to cover the already black sealant.