Old 09-07-2021, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best way to change the Heater core

Got 1967 GTO with factory AC....just figured I’d get some advise first. What’s the best way to tackle this....it’s been many moons...and thanks

Old 09-08-2021, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi: I don't have a 67 GTO, but when I did mine on my 76 T/A. I drained Coolant, then disconnected hoses to heater ( good time to replace hoses) I also removed the dash door and glove box. Anther thing that made mine easier was I removed the front passenger seat.. (4 bolts ). got that out of my way so I could lay on the floor. Rest is pretty straight forward, remove all the fasteners to access core. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Following this thread as I’ll be doing the same thing on my ‘67 with AC very soon. I’m assuming that I’ll have to pull all of the ducting.

Old 09-08-2021, 03:20 PM

It's been a while since I changed the heater core in my '67 A/C GTO but I don't recall it being that bad. I've done it twice in the 40 years that I've had the car. I'm not someone who claims to be able to do a job in 30 minutes when it actually takes 3 hours, if it were terrible I'd remember. Now, being probably 15 or 20 years older than when I did it last time, it could be harder!

I was able to get to all of the nuts on the firewall side, then removed some of the duct work and the inner glove box and remove and replace from the passenger compartment. No drilling holes in the inner fender or removing anything, etc.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've heard that the reproduction seal kit is not that great, and that rope seal is better around the perimeter of the box. Can anyone confrm?

Old 09-11-2021, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, use 3M strip caulk. You may find areas that need more than one layer due to gaps.