Old 09-23-2021, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fuel filter mounting

Give me the pros and cons of doing this please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB23EB3A-FBF8-4E99-A1E8-39D80806D5B3.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	573706  

Old 09-23-2021, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess if you have the room it'll work. Kind of starts to get close to the rearend doing that in some applications. Of course in an Fbody with a proper transverse muffler that won't work, but you aren't in that situation.

The only thing I'd worry about is vibrations and possibly putting stress on the fitting at the pump.

Personally I just mount them along the inside of the frame anywhere that is convenient, pretty much like GM does on most new cars.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 09-23-2021, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I have two filters, brake lines, a feed and return line, and the wiring for the pump etc riding the inside rail. Trying to clean up real estate in my mind

Old 09-23-2021, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think one concern would be how it all fits, and whether it would force you to make a sharp bend with your fuel hose. Over time, I could see that possibly causing problems. And with the filter assembly being cantilevered so far out like that, I'd also worry about the pressure being placed on the fitting where it connects to the pump, as mentioned by Formula above.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 09-24-2021, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it acts like a lever increasing the strain on your fittings. I would mount to the frame inline with the fuel line with an insulated clamp.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Vibration will eventually kill it. Solid mounting the filter where it doesn't have support on the other end is asking for trouble. Even a short section of hose between tank and filter will help. There are all sorts of harmonics going on all over the car.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok thanks

Old 09-24-2021, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya mount away from tank. Your gonna have to remove filter each year to clean it or replace element. Put where convenient.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
I think it acts like a lever increasing the strain on your fittings. I would mount to the frame inline with the fuel line with an insulated clamp.
This^^^. Also a hassle and a mess to change, with gas in your armpits. Put it inside a frame rail or up near the front of the car, IMO.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, check your floatless sender before you install it. I installed mine and it took nearly a year to get the rest of my system up and running but didn't check it with my VOM before installing. The Sniper worked perfectly but the gast tank sending unit never worked from day one. I checked my wiring 3X and then decided to pull the tank and test the sender only to find it was DOA. I was out of warranty but they did give me 20% off on the replacement which I tested first, installed and it works perfectly.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:33 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree with checking the sender immediately after you get it.
How long have YOU owned the fuel tank and sender system?

Take some time and talk with your parts installer about putting the fuel filter inside the frame channel where it is protected from flying debris from the road.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am my parts installer

Old 09-25-2021, 12:22 PM
Boost Engineer

Always works better to ask before you install the parts incorrectly the first time.
Saves work on the vehicle. Just a suggestion.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found the perfect mount from a company called Evil Energy. Fits like a glove.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:55 PM
Boost Engineer

Got a link to the actual part. I did a quick search on the website and no fuel filter mounts
appeared in the search.

Tom V.

Old 09-25-2021, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Summit has lots of brackets

Old 09-26-2021, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And it’s rubber lined so it should be perfect. Fits the filter like a glove. Let’s talk about mounting all this crap. I have a tremendous amount of things that have to be mounted to the frame rail. Does anyone make a self tapping screw that will thread thru the frame rail with the power of a 1/2 inch or air drill of am I stuck drilling holes for bolts. If so can anybody recommend a brand of drill bits and a technique to not burn them up after 6 holes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	930FEDB2-1897-4F7F-89F8-E3CB4B4D855A.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	573821  

Old 09-26-2021, 10:19 AM
Boost Engineer

The way to properly mount a bracket like the one shown is:

1) Find the location that will work for you.

2) Use the bracket and mark the locations for the mounting holes for the bracket.
If you have a nice shiny frame you can use a piece of masking tape and a felt marker
to mark the holes.

3) Then you take your 3/8" drill and you drill a 1/16 inch hole (with a sharp bit) in
the two hole positions.

4) Then use the 3/8" drill (with a 1/8 inch drill and increase the size of the holes.

5) Go up in small increments on the drill size so you do not break a drill off in the frame.

6) At some point you should be drilling the holes for the 1/4th inch bolts to hold the mounting bracket on the frame. (You do not need a 1/2" drill to do any of these steps) unless you only have one drill and it is a 1/2" drill. Half inch drills drill slower vs 3/8" drills do.

The idea is to sneak up on the two holes correct size mounting hole WITHOUT breaking the drills or scratching the frame.

7) Install the mounting bracket using 2 correct length bolts, 4 washers, and a couple of NYLOK nuts which will not vibrate loose over time.

8) Figure out your hose lengths and plumb up the filter and the bracket to the fuel system.

Simple, professionally done and SAFE.

Quick and Half-azed rarely gets the job done, Especially with hogging out holes in your nicely prepped frame with a 1/2" drill (which may grab or slip and scratch up your detailed frame).

Tom V.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I found the perfect mount from a company called Evil Energy. Fits like a glove.
I bought their PTFE lines and AN fittings. Good stuff.

Also, you're going to surprised how tough the steel of the frame is. Suggest a brand new bit and light spray of lubricant periodically so the bit doesn't dull so quick.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 09-26-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 421mike
Default drill bits

Use good quality cobalt drill bits and cutting oil.

The Following User Says Thank You to 421mike For This Useful Post: