Old 06-07-2017, 11:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 195 thermostat?

Anyone here running a 195 thermostat. Had to replace mine last winter
And new stat opens at 183 and seems to eventually stabilize at 188-190.
I have no issues with that, just seems car is smoother and more responsive now that she is a
Little warmer. Also put a factory 7 blade AC fan from a 68 GTO and Hayden severe duty fan clutch. Happy with cooling just wondering if anyone has better running with a 195.
Gerry

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds
Old 06-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I run the hottest thermostat I can that stays out of detonation. Sort of draw the line around 9.5 compression, above that run 180ºF and below that run 195ºF. I never use or recommend the 160ºF for normal street driving cars.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 06-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 461 had a 160f thermostat. I went to a 180f and the engine liked it better. Then I went to a FlowKooler water pump and I'm at a 195f thermostat now. The engine likes that even more. These engines do not like to be cold, they will only waste fuel and carbon up when colder on the street. I also have full forged internals so the hotter the better for expansion I think.

I ditched the factory mechanical fan and went with an electric with its own full fan shroud, NEVER gets how now, even idling with heat soak and the A/C on. The engine reevs WAY better and is generally MUCH happier without the drag of the mechanical fan.

The electric fan allows the engine to get up to temp much quicker which is good for the engine too.

Next I'll be going with an electric water pump and wiring it so my fan controller will run both for a full minute after shutdown when hot.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you guys running fuel injection? Vapor lock would be a huge issue by my thinking.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Holley 4150 on a Torker II, no heat crossover, divorced water crossover, and a half inch wood spacer. No heat problems here, even after heat soak in traffic when it's upwards of 110f outside.

Underhood heat is absolutely INSANE now though, thankfully my firewall has dynamat on the inside. I am cutting my fenders for the 69 T/A air extractors this weekend.

For now I also have no upper pan gasket on my ram air scoops so heat can escape until I have my fender extractors installed.

But man, the engine is the happiest it had ever been by far. I daily drive and have about 7-8K miles on my 164 now. 9.9cr.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
My 461 had a 160f thermostat. I went to a 180f and the engine liked it better. Then I went to a FlowKooler water pump and I'm at a 195f thermostat now. The engine likes that even more. These engines do not like to be cold, they will only waste fuel and carbon up when colder on the street. I also have full forged internals so the hotter the better for expansion I think.

I ditched the factory mechanical fan and went with an electric with its own full fan shroud, NEVER gets how now, even idling with heat soak and the A/C on. The engine reevs WAY better and is generally MUCH happier without the drag of the mechanical fan.

The electric fan allows the engine to get up to temp much quicker which is good for the engine too.

Next I'll be going with an electric water pump and wiring it so my fan controller will run both for a full minute after shutdown when hot.
What is the manufacturer of your electric fan setup and where did you buy it?

Old 06-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-180/overview/

I had tried a Derale dual speed 17" without a shroud but using the factory shroud.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16217

It was a joke compared to how good the Flex-a-lite one is with its shroud.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Thermostat

Thanks for the reply guys. This is just food for thought.
My cooling system is great and was wondering if perhaps
Is a touch too cool. Below 70 she bares reaches temp
Of thermostat.

Thanks

Gerry

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds